Sensitivity and Threshold? and...BUGS

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
gammy999

Sensitivity and Threshold? and...BUGS

Post by gammy999 »

I am trying to understand the following:
1) What pc app do most use to tweak this>

2) Is a higher Sensitivity number mean it's "less" sensitive?

3) What is threshold?

4) I am having the "bug" storm at night...someone said: "sensitivity=60 and threshold=30"...ideas?
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: Sensitivity and Threshold? and...BUGS

Post by Melvin »

Hi gammy999,

There is no clear cut answer to sensitivity/threshold settings that can truly eliminate false positives, while maintaining that they trigger as desired, for all cases. The problem is simply that everyone's cameras will be looking at such drastically different scenes, that one person can have false positives on a very low sensitivity (due to snow) whereas the other can use the same settings and not even catch the movements of trees in the wind.

The best thing you can do is work out a configuration for each camera based specifically on what your cameras are likely to register as motion and customize your settings to your preference. In order to do this, it helps to understand a bit more about how sensitivity and threshold work.

Think about it this way: sensitivity is a measurement of the amount of change in a camera's field of view that qualifies as potential motion detection, and threshold is how much of that motion needs to occur in order to actually trigger the alarm. It can be thought of like this: for however long there is enough change to satisfy the sensitivity parameter, a threshold meter is silently being filled up until it hit's the trigger point.

Considering this, if you set your sensitivity to 1 and threshold to 100, it would be practically impossible to trigger a motion alert. Alternatively, if you set your sensitivity to 100 and your threshold to 1 or 0, this means that the slightest change could set off the trigger. The trick is to finding a healthy balance based on all the factors that stand to stimulate your motion detection sensors and doing your own personal testing.

A practical application of this would be, for example, a check out line in a grocery store. People don't want every person walking in and out to trigger the alarm. But if, for some reason, one of these people starts dancing or attacking another person, the degree of movement and activity would trip the threshold meter. This feature exists to give users complete control and the ability to both fine tune and customize their motion detection settings.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

gammy999

Post by gammy999 »

Thanks Melvin..nice...so, the lower the SENSITIVITY the more sensitive it is? i.e. 1=1percent change...and the lower the threshold the bucket feels up quicker so it makes it more sensitive...correct?
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

"the lower the SENSITIVITY the more sensitive it is?"

Exactly the opposite as I understand it - 100 = most sensitive and 1 = least sensitive. If that is not the case then it's no wonder that I have never been able to find a setting that works reliably. I've given up on it now and as far as I'm concerned the camera is just a toy and most certainly not a reliable security device.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hi gammy999,

Its higher the sensitivity its more sensitive.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

gammy999

Post by gammy999 »

I'll give it a shot...looks like you have to do this through Amcrest Web View...another good post on this:
https://amcrest.com/forum/technical-dis ... t8954.html
doel13

Post by doel13 »

I have been playing with this. Each camera location has to be setup differently. I use the Web View's Detection Area Setup for this where the graph displays in real time all the triggers. I selected the area. Started with Sensitivity 75 and Threshold 5, and watch the smaller graph (on the lower right of the screen) for a while. Sometimes I see the triggers goes beyond the threshold (shown in red) even thought there is nothing. I assume it was trigger "noise" so I upped the threshold and watch again. Kept doing that until I find the proper setting.
IP2M-851E with remote FTP for snapshots.