License Plates at Night

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
tscheifler

License Plates at Night

Post by tscheifler »

I'm using a IP2M-858W. At night, I am unable to read license plates. The headlights and taillights seem to "overwhelm" the picture. Can anyone recommend settings that would improve this issue?
jack7

Re: License Plates at Night

Post by jack7 »

Suggestions:
Go to settings/camera/configuration/BLC mode,select HLC mode and adjust it. There are many other factors that will affect reading the license plate including zoom, distance, angle from camera to plate, speed of car, exposure time, and IR light. If you have to use IR and the plate is too bright, try using IR setting of ZoomPro or Smart IR. Also, on the 858 camera, you can try changing the Iris setting found at the PTZ controls. Google camera license plate (or something similar) to learn more.
tscheifler

Post by tscheifler »

Thanks Jack! I was looking for the HLC config last night but had not yet located it.
I will try variations of the items you mention.
Thanks again.
tscheifler

Post by tscheifler »

After trying many different settings and combinations of settings, I was able to get great night time plate images by simply changing the Exposure to Manual - Shutter Speed 1/1000. All other camera settings I left as the default values.
Here is a sample image of two vehicles approximately 20 feet from the camera. For privacy, I have masked the right half of each plate. The plate on the left is a vehicle moving at approximately 25 mph. The plate on the right is a parked vehicle.
plate-front2.jpg
plate-front2.jpg (198.09 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Videoanalitika

Post by Videoanalitika »

These pictures I have
Attachments
07_45_29_415_GFD233_.jpg
07_45_29_415_GFD233_.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
07_44_07_646_GFB233_.jpg
07_44_07_646_GFB233_.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
07_07_40_769_KFH627_.jpg
07_07_40_769_KFH627_.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
mawilli3

Post by mawilli3 »

Where did you find the manual setting for the shutter speed. I am using an POE camera through an NVR and for the life of me can't find it
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@mawilli3 Hello and welcome to the Forum

Trying to adjust most setting over an NVR is not going to give you all the adjustments you are looking for... Also trying to find a camera that will take on LPR duty without a LPR camera can be done but will be useless for any other service.. Also the Camera will need to be at the right height and angle for it to work...

Please note that if you don't have a LPR and the Recorder to store the data from the camera then you would still have to manually find each plate... Also 1 last thing... Most times even cameras that could get a good Plate it would be required for the cars to be going very slow.. Also forgot to mention that you will want to regulate the IR with it off at night because the Plates are Reflective and when your IR goes on it will wash out the plate.. I have pictures of one of my cameras showing this on a Speed sign 300 or more feet from my camera, Yet IR on all I see is white sign, color at night can't see the sign B/W on no IR on you can make out the 25 speed sign no issue..

So to get to your camera you will want to connect it to your network over a POE Switch or injector that is connected to your normal network, then you can log into the Cameras WebUI by typing the Ip of the camera into the Browser. ONce the camera loads click on Setup in top right of the screen, then under camera you will find Exposure, Shutter, There could be Auto and manual if older or could also have Low Motion Blur and Low Noise and some others just change Exposure to Manual and that will bring out the Shutter.. Like right now I have one of my cameras working at 1/100000... Just note that is my day time setting at night that camera is running at 1/4..

Also there is no magic when wit comes to cameras.. What may work for one persons cameras might not work for yours so there is no way to say what you should set yours at your going to have to mess around with the settings and find the ones that work for you.. Some cameras depending on Age won't even offer IR off ability like in my 2013 3mp zoom camera while it is Ip and does have abilities to change to color at night sadly the IR just came on because it was not setup for being smart.. SO I unplugged it and then I have a Schedule setup to turn B/W mode on and color on at day time.. I do have about 15 min now that my day time is over Exposed because times are changing so you will have to make changes over time to change for seasons...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe