how to set sensativity for rain drops

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
EvilTwin

how to set sensativity for rain drops

Post by EvilTwin »

I'm trying to adjust my cams so as the rain drops do not trigger detection. Also when IR lights are active at night, does this effect sensitivity? Rain drops become reflective drops of light . So my question is, can I adjust the difference so as the cam wont record rain drops but still be sensitive enough to record a person trespassing on my property.

Are there difference in sensitivity between daytime rain drops and night time rain drops, with respect to detection.
Thanks
Bill aka ET
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: how to set sensativity for rain drops

Post by Melvin »

Hello EvilTwin,

Unfortunately all we can suggest is try adjusting the sensitivity and threshold. Lower the sensitivity a little and increase the threshold to see if that helps. Because of the way motion detection works, it might not be possible to fully avoid false alarms.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

I've been trying to make small changes. The rain drops look dramatically different at night.

Security is more of an issue at night when the IR lights are engaged....

Thanks for the reply
Bill
Techie007

Post by Techie007 »

Honestly, there isn't a way to adjust the motion detector to ignore the rain (and bugs, and wind) without making it so insensitive that it won't detect even the most obvious motion. It's a problem with most cameras, and extremely so on these Amcrest cameras. Potential solutions include:

1. Disable the IR LEDs and use an external light source so that the raindrops and bugs directly in front of the camera aren't reflecting brightly back at the camera.
2. Use 3rd-party software like Blue Iris which does markedly better. Even still, you'll either get a lot of false triggers some days or miss important events. Ignoring such bright, clear and fast moving objects is hard for any motion detection algorithm.
3. Ditch the whole Amcrest line of products which have the worst motion detection algorithm I've seen. Problem is, others are only slightly better. Wish they could be seriously improved, because at the price point, these cameras are above average everywhere else.
minilude

Post by minilude »

agree. if you make your camera insensitive to motions such as snows and rains, it will ignore everything else. There seems no way to avoid shade change, as well as noise pixel change. Not sure about other brand's performance. After getting two amcrest (one indoor and one outdoor), I've decided maybe I want to try another brand.
sskhaliq

Post by sskhaliq »

Yes, Amcrest detection DOES NOT work, useless and more of a gimick than anything else.