Gmail setup - SUCCESS!!

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
docbrown

Gmail setup - SUCCESS!!

Post by docbrown »

For those of you having trouble setting up the smtp server for gmail, the issue isn't the app, but likely a security setting or 2-step verification in Gmail/Google itself. Thankfully, there is a solution to successfully setting up your gmail email notifications.

1 - Go to your Google account > My account (top right corner of Gmail page)
2 - Select 'Sign-in & Security >' (blue lock)
3 - Scroll down on right side in section 'Password and sign in method' - Select 'App passwords >'
4 - On the bottom, click the 'Select app' pulldown, select 'Other (custom name)'
5 - Give this new app a name. This name just a reference name so you know what it is for. (eg: Amcrest), and select Generate.
6 - A new window with a password will come up -THIS is the password you need to use in the Amcrest app, not your regular Gmail password.

7 - In the Amcrest app, use your gmail username, but use the new password instead of your normal gmail password.
8 - Save and try email test - it should work now.
LibraSun

Re: Gmail setup - SUCCESS!!

Post by LibraSun »

This is especially useful information for most GMail subscribers, since Google decided to eliminate the "Allow less secure logins" option that is *still* referenced in Amcrest's online documentation nearly two years later. Granted, some Google accounts (created under the Google Apps suite) do still have that option, but finding it (under "My Account" > Security) can be a bit tricky. Even so, the option becomes unavailable regardless if you have "2-Factor Authentication" set for your GMail account, and that's where the excellent guide posted above comes in!
GaryPSU

Post by GaryPSU »

docbrown wrote:For those of you having trouble setting up the smtp server for gmail, the issue isn't the app, but likely a security setting or 2-step verification in Gmail/Google itself. Thankfully, there is a solution to successfully setting up your gmail email notifications.

1 - Go to your Google account > My account (top right corner of Gmail page)
2 - Select 'Sign-in & Security >' (blue lock)
3 - Scroll down on right side in section 'Password and sign in method' - Select 'App passwords >'
4 - On the bottom, click the 'Select app' pulldown, select 'Other (custom name)'
5 - Give this new app a name. This name just a reference name so you know what it is for. (eg: Amcrest), and select Generate.
6 - A new window with a password will come up -THIS is the password you need to use in the Amcrest app, not your regular Gmail password.

7 - In the Amcrest app, use your gmail username, but use the new password instead of your normal gmail password.
8 - Save and try email test - it should work now.
Thank you so much for this. It saved me a lot of time. I assumed that adding two step verification to my gmail account caused my problem, but didn’t know how to correct it.
R0tten

Post by R0tten »

Thank you so much.