Email test always fails - brand new camera

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
snackdrag

Re: Email test always fails - brand new camera

Post by snackdrag »

Just got off the phone with tech support, anonymous SMTP login does not yet work. It may be fixed in the next firmware.
snackdrag

Post by snackdrag »

**bump** any update?
yotis

Post by yotis »

Hi,

Any update here? Same setup with internal server, no authentication, brand new camera. I find it "interesting" that such simple things cannot be solved. What other surprises awaits me?
lynchknot

Post by lynchknot »

Email test fails no matter what mode or server.
snackdrag

Post by snackdrag »

Anonymous email / no authentication email SMTP still does not work with latest firmware. Please fix. This is basic basic functionality.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Email test still fails in software version 2.400.0001.15.R (Build 2017-03-28)

(edit: Camera is 1025ew)

How is it humanly possible to not be able to code a simple SMTP app? You can SMTP mail using telnet and a keyboard.

(edit: I host my own, internal mail server. I can see that the camera makes a connection to the server and then disconnects without delivering a message.)
amcr751

Post by amcr751 »

I too host my own internal mail server. And SMTP tests are also failing. Doing a snoop/tcpdump on the camera's SMTP session, I found that, even though AUTH is not used or advertised on internal or external sessions, the camera was submitting an AUTH command after the client HELO and/or EHLO server acknowledgment. This is contrary to Internet RFC requirements.

My server's response:
'SMTP protocol error in "AUTH LOGIN" ... AUTH command used when not advertised'

So yes, Amcrest is using a non-RFC compliant eMail agent.

[ Amcrest IPM-751W camera w/2.400.AC02.15.R firmware (2017-07-31) to Debian exim4 4.84.2-2+deb8u4 server ]
jantman

Post by jantman »

I just got a IP2M-841B (ProHD 1080P) running 2.520.AC00.18.R 2017-06-29.

When I attempt the "Email test" with SMTP auth disabled, the web UI says "Email test failed" but wireshark shows that NO DATA WAS EVER SENT - not a single packet. It appears that with auth disabled, this firmware version doesn't even attempt to connect to the SMTP server, it just fails the test immediately. If I enable auth, save settings, and test again I immediately see proper SMTP traffic, the test passes, and the message is received.
Principal Engineer, Tooling & Automation. Formerly, Wireless & Network Systems Engineer (among many other things).
Doing all sorts of crazy things to anything with an IP address.
http://www.jasonantman.com / http://github.com/jantman
RiCK@RCS

Post by RiCK@RCS »

I'm having the same issues, the camera will not work with my SMTP which is Fairpoint (now bought by Consolidated Communications.) The system still uses Fairpoint's email system which does not have authentication for sending mail, and will not work with authentication. Using the Login Anonymously button does not have the desired affect it should. Can someone from Amcrest please look into the code for the SMTP portion, or post it on github so tech savvy users can assist you with it. It should not be that difficult to make SMTP work. I have 28 days left to decide if I should keep this camera or return it. I liked all of it's features except that SMTP does not work, and your NPAPI plugin is very out of date and has been phased out of all modern browsers. Please get on the ball with this and catch up to 2018 before 2020 gets here. Thank you.
RiCK@RCS

Post by RiCK@RCS »

Tech support was not helpful, they wanted to have remote access into my computer, which I refused. They were supposed to have a level 2 technician call me back, which they never did.

Update: I did receive my call the following day from a level 2 technician in Texas, USA. He was so much more helpful, understandable and understanding of the actual issue, rather than trying to play it off as the former technician did. He was not able to resolve the issue, but assured me that he would have someone look into it. I will remain hopeful.