CGI SDK no longer functioning on 17r?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
ksouthworth

Re: CGI SDK no longer functioning on 17r?

Post by ksouthworth »

Any update on this? I'm having the exact same issue and we can't deploy new cameras to the field because we have software depending on the basic auth behavior (which broke with 17r)
juve021

Post by juve021 »

I assume this is the same for 15r firmware? Upgraded my IP3M-943 and now none of the cgi functions work. Where can I get firmware to downgrade?
msplain5880

Post by msplain5880 »

Seeing the same problem with 17r. Same commands work on 15r. Restored the old firmware to keep my setup operating.
jmct

Post by jmct »

Yep.. they switched to Digest Authentication. I'm pretty upset as I just bought three new cameras and was hoping to do some cool stuff with them via the API. With my nginx setup, I currently can't enable the HTTP Digest module, so these cameras are useless to me at the moment.

@msplain5880, do you have a copy of the 15r firmware handy? I don't mind downgrading if I can use basic authentication instead.
jmct

Post by jmct »

I decided to be the guinea pig in case of a brick. This is what I did to fix the problem. I'm not responsible for bricks, but I did have a very smooth sailing experience to getting this back to basic authentication.

Current issue: Latest revision of firmware now using HTTP Digest authentication, when everyone in this thread was expecting HTTP Basic authentication with their setups.

NOTE: I upgraded to firmware 18R, but 17R has the same problem.

Looking at the HTTP headers on the 18R firmware, you can see the Digest Authorization being passed:

Code: Select all

Accept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflate, sdch, br
Accept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.8
Authorization:Digest username="", realm="Login to ---", nonce="1670452339", uri="/cam2", response="45t234tg453t34gertg", opaque="345g34wv45weg345wg234wg345g34", qop=auth, nc=00000001, cnonce="a9h89usg8usdg"
Connection:keep-alive
Looking at the HTTP headers on the 15R firmware, you can see Basic Authorization being used:

Code: Select all

Accept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflate, sdch, br
Accept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.8
Authorization:Basic not_telling_you_my_stuff!
Connection:keep-alive
I went here to find older firmware for my specific camera:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/networ ... a/AMCREST/

^ Wouldn't be surprised if this gets taken down by the mods here, but it's here for now. Obligatory this is very likely not supported. I called tech support and they would not provide me an older firmware version, so I went out to hunt for one myself. :twisted:

This was tested on an IP2M-841B.

Proof of my successful downgrade:

Current 18R:

Downgraded 15R:

(Note the serial numbers are the same - it is the same device :P)

Now that I am using basic authentication, I can pass basic authorization headers back to the camera and keep it behind my web server! Already tested this fixed it for me. I will not be upgrading to the current version until basic authorization is supported on the current version.
Gilley7997

Post by Gilley7997 »

I actually never got a response to this, because Support just closed my ticket. The only suggestions they ever gave was here is a new version of the API documentation, no matter how many times I told them I have evidence on the wire that this is not a documentation problem but an application problem. The only other suggestion was please Factory Reset the Camera which of course did nothing. Oh and yes, ever documentation update they sent still said that Basic Authentication and Digest authentication are supported.

Support was actually no help at all. I offered to work directly with a developer and supply wireshark captures and code snippets for testing but they would never put me in contact with anyone.

I went on vacation for 3 days, and they just closed the ticket on me after they had sent another update to the API Documentation, it is not a documentation problem, it is a code problem and needs to be fixed.

The latest firmware from 5/21 does not resolve the issue. I just applied this and verfied it did not resolve the issue, but it would appear that JMCT did the same thing.

JMCT: Your wireshark captures match mine exactly, and I also specifically asked them if there was a downgrade method, and they specifically said no. The best part is I actually attempted to convert my scripts to Digest Authentication and only 50% of the calls work, actually it is about every other one. So the fact is that Neither Authentication method actually works consistently at the moment making the Entire API worthless

In short we made them aware of this issue within days of the 17r firmware release, and opened support cases, of which all were ignored. I honestly can't believe the lack of support for this, but I am glad that more people are starting to see this issue and It is not just me.
Gilley7997

Post by Gilley7997 »

Melvin wrote:Hello all,

We have reported the issue to the R&D team. We will get back to you with an update as soon as possible.
Melvin,

This issue was reported through a support ticket by me in early April. You should not have had to re report this in June and it should have been resolved by now.

Can you give us an update?
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

I was about to buy another Amcrest camera to upgrade one of my existing, but it looks like it would be a DOWNgrade, so I wont be buying until Amcrest fixes this.
alabamatoy

Post by alabamatoy »

Amcrest, some response would be advisable. This has been going on for several months now, and has actually persisted through at least one release. Some response to your dedicated user community would be a good idea. Tell us you are working on it, or that we are full of $#!+ or SOMETHING. Silence is not a good customer service approach.
brunswim

Post by brunswim »

If you purchased through Amazon, I encourage you to leave a verified review discouraging would-be customers until Amcrest restores this basic functionality. The #1 job of an IP camera is to be accessible using standard protocols.