Can't change device name after firmware upgrade

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
TheGreyGhost

Can't change device name after firmware upgrade

Post by TheGreyGhost »

I recently upgraded the firmware in my IP3M-943 to the latest release and after following the instruction and performing a factory reset I'm unable to change the device name. This seems kind of trivial, but this is the name that the camera uses to create the folder for FTP storage. The camera's serial number means nothing to me, but being able to give it a name that I could recognize was helpful.

Is this a bug in the new firmware, or am I missing something.

Help appreciated,
Jeff.
jamestx10

Re: Can't change device name after firmware upgrade

Post by jamestx10 »

I have an IP2m-841B and I can change the name in the settings > System > General. It would only update the FTP folder after changing the name and rebooting the camera.
IP2M-841
TheGreyGhost

Post by TheGreyGhost »

Yes, well that would be the problem. I CAN'T change it in Setting>System>General.
Save fails on everything except the default name.
TheGreyGhost

Post by TheGreyGhost »

So am I the only person that can't change the device name after the latest firmware upgrade ? Seems odd ?
tcpinspection

Post by tcpinspection »

Same here. I can't change my device name. Super annoying as I've tried pretty much everything, including resetting to default. I am thinking about reverting back to the previous firmware, until they figure this out. Of course, it also throws off the folder naming, if you're sending videos to the NAS/FTP as well. Also, this is occurring on a IP4M1025e
TheGreyGhost

Post by TheGreyGhost »

Agree on going back to the previous firmware. Kind of ridiculous. I can't even get acknowledgement that it's a known issue. Does anyone know where the older firmware versions are stored ?
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello TheGreyGhost,

Sorry for the delayed response. So under setup > System > Device name, you can change the name and is it not getting saved? Or even after its saved, the directories created in FTP is with the serial number of the camera? Also please provide the current camera firmware and the build date.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

tcpinspection

Post by tcpinspection »

On my IP4M-1025e, you can type in any name that you'd like, but when click on the save button, it comes up with "Save Failed". FTP folders will of course then use the default name with the serial # in it. I was using V2.400.0001.15.R.20170328 with this issue.

However, I've downgraded back to V2.400.0000.15.R.20170209 and it works as expected. So it's definitely an issue with the new firmware.
Raheel

Post by Raheel »

Hi all,

Just tried this on a recent firmware for the IP2M-841 and did not have issues changing the name. Have you hard reset the camera after applying the firmware update? A hard reset is usually required in order to ensure all features are working optimally. If you didn't hard reset the camera, it's possible this is causing the problem.
tcpinspection

Post by tcpinspection »

Yeah, I hard reset the camera. After a hard reset, I left every other setting as the default and then attempted to change the name. It would still say "Save Failed". I'll re-updating the firmware tonight and try it again.