Cable length and interference

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
JAtlanta56

Cable length and interference

Post by JAtlanta56 »

So we have two cameras up and bought the cable suggested for the system. It worked fine for one day then went out. On other forums it was suggested that the cabling was not correct for the 100 ft run we had. So I bought Night Owl cable and ran it to the camera but didn't secure it under the eaves of the house. It worked great - until we secured it to the eaves. There's no metal, no other cable, just wood. We can't figure out why it stops when suspended through the air but the moment the cable is attached to something, the power goes out. Btw, it also goes out if the cable touched the ground. When I pick it up, the camera goes on again.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
Z-Man

Re: Cable length and interference

Post by Z-Man »

This sounds like loose connectors.
Are you crimping your own ends or are these factory-made?
JAtlanta56

Re: Cable length and interference

Post by JAtlanta56 »

The connectors are the male/female that came with the system cabling. I bought it on Amazon and bought what was recommended for the system including the 1.5a power supply 4-way splitter, cable which says will work up to 300 feet (one is only 50ft). The strange thing is that when the cable is loose, as in just hanging along the ground, it worked fine but once we attached it along the eaves of the house, it stopped. We used a white duct tape to hide the wires. I'm wondering (this sounds bizarre) if duct tape shuts down the power flow. I can't think of any other reason why they're not working once completely installed.