Amcrest IP3M-943W - is it dead?

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
hankhill

Amcrest IP3M-943W - is it dead?

Post by hankhill »

I’ve had an Amcrest IP3M-943W for a couple of years, no problems. I recently bought a second identical model on eBay sold as new and unused, which it indeed looks to be. However it won’t connect, I have tried everything – IOS app, setting up via both wifi, and Ethernet connection direct to router. Under the little panel I only get a red light. Holding the reset button for ages to reset, I get both red and green flashing for a long time, then the red and green lights stay on constant but then green goes off after around 5 secs leaving constant red. In the router table I can see the IP address, but typing that into a browser doesn’t connect and Amcrest’s IP config tool won’t see it (but it sees my existing Amcrest camera just fine).

I have the Netgear ORBI mesh wifi, which annoyingly can’t isolate 2.4Ghz. I set up a repeater to provide a 2.4Ghz signal but can’t connect using that either (my iphone is connected to the same 2.4G network). My existing Amcrest camera was using wifi for a long time but is now Ethernet hardwired into the network for a more reliable feed.

Am I missing something or do I have a duff camera?
James.S

Re: Amcrest IP3M-943W - is it dead?

Post by James.S »

Hankhill,

I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your device, can you tell me the seller you bought the camera from?
hankhill

Re: Amcrest IP3M-943W - is it dead?

Post by hankhill »

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. I bought this from a private seller on eBay, however he claimed it was unused since he bought it new from Amazon just over a year ago.

Therefore, I have to assume I have no warranty, and am reliant on your goodwill to help me troubleshoot this as best I can, before I reluctantly bin it. As I said before, I’m a happy Amcrest customer having had an identical IP3M-943 in operation for just over 2 years now, which I bought directly from Amcrest.

Whether trying to connect via wifi or Ethernet, using the IOS app, this new camera is not displaying the green LED, only red. If I factory reset it (hold reset button for 20 secs) both green and red LEDs will flash for quite a while (like 90 seconds) then both LEDS stay on constantly, sometimes for another 2 minutes, sometimes much less, like 10 seconds. Then the green LED goes out again leaving just the red. Trying to connect during the flashing and constant phases does not work.

What is interesting is that the camera does show up on my network with an IP address (and AMC address), which hasn’t changed since I first started trying to connect it a few weeks ago. Even with the RED LED constant and no green LED, I can ping it successfully from my Windows PC.
While the LEDS are flashing I can’t ping it.

Putting that IP address into a browser does not connect however. I tried the Amcrest IPConfig tool and that won’t see it, but it does see my existing Amcrest camera.

To eliminate my network, which is based on Netgear ORBI, I even reverted back to my ISP’s router, disabled 5G (I’m aware this camera is 2.4G only) but still no success connecting.

I’d be very grateful for any advice, and I'm hoping that the above data is useful. If I could return it to Amcrest for replacement I’d be happy to do so, but I suspect as it’s out of warranty period (despite being unused) that may not be possible. Also, I’m based in the UK so there would probably be a heavy shipping cost involved.

I look forward to hearing from you.