Amcrest 10808 DVR and varifocal

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
VAitman

Amcrest 10808 DVR and varifocal

Post by VAitman »

Hello all. I purchased a used Amcrest 10808 DVR and one Amcrest 720p bullet camera. So far I'm satisfied with the video. However, I wanted to add a 1080p varifocal dome camera. I purchased a Dahua 2mp with motorized varifocal. Can I control the varifocal motor with my 10808 DVR? Does it have to be via the ptz ports? Maybe just with the software? Trying to find out before I modified the dual voltage terminal on the Dahua camera to fit a standard 12v dc pig tail.

Thanks in advance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest 10808 DVR and varifocal

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and I am sure you figured out your problem to your question however in short there are many different ways to control a unit like one you have talked about...

So main and old way and way that some still use is with RS 485, Some even with older RS 232. This type of controlled camera would have a pair of wires that would connect to your DVR/NVR at the back where it would be labeled as such. Then back mid 2000ish like 06 or 09 they came out with OVER Coax control. This was done with Pelco C or Coaxitron. However having many cameras with that feature I didn't ever get a DVR with the ability so I had to use with built in controller at the Camera or RS-485 with my Controller...

However now there is Loads with HDCVI and HDTVI and HDIP and even others that support over the Coax control and in most time will work without making any setting in the DVR. So if your system is like that (Camera is like that) then you would be able to just hit the PTZ menu on your DVR, WebUI or Phone app to be able to use the zoom in and out feature however in most cases with the Motorized VF it would be off the 2 buttons of Zoom and Focus and might not work as a PTZ would in action of pressing Zoom and the camera would Auto focus so it is more of a way to install your camera where you want it. Maybe your camera has a 2.8 to 12mm VF and so you could set it up as a 2.8 but want some extra zoom detail on your porch later on after you install. So now you can push it past to 4.0 or 6mm So then you might have a Smart Focus feature like one of my Motorized VF cameras does. In the Camera Menu you can also get to in the PTZ menu... Anyway if it does you click Smart Focus and it will let you use the arrow keys rather then zoom and focus to get just the right area of focus in view...

So one of the things that needs to be understood is that in the camera there is a setup for RS485 of a camera with the option. Even mine has that option with 2 wires at the cable end (They are not connected to anything)

However there is something that needs to be Clear. IN your DVR/NVR setup under PTZ will be a config for your cameras If it is not at the default area for your Camera it will need to be set to work with OVER Coax. Like mine if you change from HDCAM-C to anything other then another one that isnt that mode. The Ability to talk with Camera will be lost..

Also BE WARNED that if you change the settings in the camera under the RS485 area, (Not all cameras will offer the menu) and camera is Mounted on the House or Barn or anywhere other then close to your DVR you might loose the ability to make changes if your DVR or Controller don't have the ability to make the same changes as well Then you would have to go do a Factory Reset on the Camera to get the Controller back and that is only if your camera comes with a controller built in or reset button. So if your camera under Meunu, Special, RS485 has options to change DON"T unless you know for sure you will be able to set the same in a Controller or DVR/NVR to match the change....
Be Safe.