Home Assistant

Have a Smart Feature idea/Request Post them here.
darolson

Home Assistant

Post by darolson »

API for home automation systems such as home assistant or smartthings. That would allow for things such as flashing a light when someone presses the doorbell button.
tomtcom

Re: Home Assistant

Post by tomtcom »

Absolutely correct, there is nothing actually smart about these cameras. They are in a closed ecosystem which means they are as smart as the app they have (which isn't all that great).

I use Vera (now ezlo). They have integrated cameras and could use scenes to trigger devices to do things when motion was detected.

I'm not sure what manufacturers misunderstand about calling something smart, maybe just a marketing buzz term because it has an app and can be controlled.
noss

Post by noss »

+1...

Now using Tasker to switch an input boolean whenever the Armcrest Smarthome notification comes up then plays an doorbell.mp3 sound through my google home.

Works but not so polished.
Danual

Post by Danual »

and another......
Jayson

Post by Jayson »

+1 for this one

I registered just so that we could mention this. With the growing popularity of consolidated environments like SmartThings, Home Assistant, and the upcoming Matter (Project CHIP), this kind of support is going to define the success of many of these companies.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@darolson : Feature request for an "API for home automation systems such as home assistant or smartthings."

A documented HTTP API CGI guide already exists, borrowed heavily from Dahua. There are a few differences and omissions, particularly with SmartHome devices. Home Assistant already has a core Amcrest camera integration for streaming, recording, and motion detection. A custom amcrest2mqtt addon provides additional event processing capability, including doorbell presses which can be used to trigger any home automation script.

@tomtcom: "Absolutely correct, there is nothing actually smart about these cameras. They are in a closed ecosystem..."

Not absolutely correct. Some Amcrest devices have AI capability, such as human detection, which can be much more effective than standard motion detection. Given the Amcrest/Dahua API and robust integration by 3rd party HA hubs, they are far from being a closed ecosystem. Granted, SmartHome devices would be a LOT more appealing (and secure) to Home Automation if they didn't require any cloud connectivity. Non-SmartHome Amcrest devices can be locally controlled just fine.

@noss: "Now using Tasker to switch an input boolean whenever the Armcrest Smarthome notification comes up".

I too have been using Tasker as a Home Assistant workaround for AD110 button press alerts. I have even documented how to do this on the HA forum. BTW, the Home Assistant Android companion app can also be used instead of Tasker for capturing phone notifications. There is now a custom add-on that can also process any Amcrest event if you want a more polished integration.

@Jayson: "...this kind of [API] support is going to define the success of many of these companies."

It's not just having an open API, it's also very important that the device can be completely controlled locally without a cloud requirement.

This is where SmartHome doorbells and ASH cameras are at their weakest. The API extensions for supporting them are not documented, but have had to be figured out on our own. The requirement that they need to be internet connected in order to function (except for RTSP) is going in the wrong direction.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last comment - Who in Amcrest actually looks at these feature requests? Someone from Amcrest (besides Revo2Maxx, who is not Amcrest) - please kindly respond to enlighten us that you have a support team that reviews this forum. Thanks!
User98878

Post by User98878 »

Hello -

I'm new to HA and I'm currently trying out the new version of it. One issue I see so far, is that the integration or add on for Amcrest is no longer an option.
Is this temporary or am I missing something?

Thanks
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Yes, you are apparently missing something(s)...
Not sure why you missed the core Home Assistant Amcrest integration:
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/amcrest

or the custom Dahua integration which works nicely for Amcrest as well (with extra features).
https://github.com/rroller/dahua

BTW, I strongly recommend that you register for the Home Assistant forum for HASS related assistance.
ajsonnick

Post by ajsonnick »

I'm having the same issue. I see the page for Amcrest as a core integration, but when I go to add it like I was able to do with my other HA things, it's not there.

What am I doing wrong? I'm new to HA.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

You really should visit the Home Assistant forum for questions like this.

But to answer your question, originally all integrations required YAML configurations to be set up. The core Amcrest integration has not been updated yet to use the newer configuration UI so that's why you don't see it listed. Check the HASS Amcrest docs (link above) for the relatively simple YAML code that needs to be manually added.

The custom Dahua integration does support the configuration UI that you had expected to see.