Smart home app for Android

Having any issues or recomendations for the Amcrest Smart Home Cloud? Post them here.
daveg69

Smart home app for Android

Post by daveg69 »

I just purchased a new device that requires the use of the smart home app to set it up. However the smart home app is not available in the play store. Is there a way to set of this camera without smart home? I have no plans to use the web storage. I intend on connecting the camera to my NVR as my others are, and accessing it through that. The device is a ASH21-B camera. I have contacted support but they have nothing to offer.
GaryOkie

Re: Smart home app for Android

Post by GaryOkie »

WTF!!! You are right - the Amcrest SmartHome app appears to have been REMOVED from Google Play Store! I did see it on Apple Store.

To answer your question - You must use SmartHome app to set up any SmartHome device (ASHxx cameras and ADxxx doorbells). You are dead in the water without it.

What do you mean Amcrest support had nothing to offer? At the very minimum they owe an explanation if this is a temporary issue with Google. It should be possible to sideload the apk as a workaround.

I'll try asking Carlos/Amcrest on ipcamtalk forum if he can provide any info. At least Amcrest responds on that forum, but not here.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry to hear about the issues. if you contact support via the support pages they will be able to get you a DL link until they can get it to return in the store.

https://amcrest.com/smarthomesupport
Be Safe.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Revo, he said he had already contacted Amcrest support but they didn't provide him with any interim workaround.

I assume Google removed it for one of these reasons and sent Amcrest a notification for what they must do. Do we have something Google found malicious in the app?!

Why apps are removed from the Google play store...
  • Malware and malicious content.
  • Customer privacy.
  • Adware that block core functionality.
  • Uniqueness and value.
  • Restricted content.
  • Government regulations.
daveg69

Post by daveg69 »

I have sent one through the support page, so far nothing.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Thanks Gary I did see that, I am guessing that the contact might have been via Phone, Making contact via app Ticket will be a better result. I can't say how long it will take to get a reply but I made Contact and was offered the best way for people to get support for this issue while they working on the app being missing from the store was to contact via Ticket...
Be Safe.
Platonicsolid

Post by Platonicsolid »

Very frustrating. I came here looking for a resolution on the same issue for the AD410 doorbell camera.
The camera comes up and I can see the captive hotspot it sets up. If I connect to that I can see the doorbell's IP, scan that and get ports for a web server, RTSP and a few other things.
Nothing actually lets me configure it, though, in the absence of the app. Probably just going to return it and stop buying any Amcrest products in the future.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

While this missing SH app issue doesn't impact me for setting up a new SH device, I need to know WHY it was removed, particularly if it was due to malware or accessing private info on my phone.

So asking Amcrest for a link to sideload the app without knowing what was wrong with it in the first place is questionable. For that matter, anyone that has the app already installed could upload the apk from their phone and make it available. Any volunteers?

I did submit a ticket to Amcrest support yesterday. No reply yet. I also haven't received a reply from Carlos/Amcrest on ipcamtalk yet either.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

BREAKING NEWS

Just now received a reply from Amcrest Support - here is the full text.
Thank you for reaching out to Amcrest Support. We are currently aware of an issue with the Amcrest Smart Home app affecting Android users in the Google Play store. Google wanted to change some verbiage to make certain permissions more clear to the user before approving it We anticipate to have the issue resolved shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime you may use the current APK file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-OCJW0 ... sp=sharing
That is a "public" open link, so if you are OK accepting app permissions that apparently aren't clear, then go for it. It is a relief to know that it wasn't anything serious in the app, but good grief, that was sure a draconian move to remove it - which made it impossible for new installs.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry I have been dealing with some things myself

"Google wanted to change some verbiage to make certain permissions more clear to the user before approving it. They are working with them to get back as quickly as possible."

So to be clear to anyone that is worried about Malware or something else it is still offered on Apple and they are most time even more strict with apps then google play store so if it was a problem like something bad then it would have been also removed from Apple..

I was given a link that can help get the app if your not able to from the link left by GaryOkie. Should be back on the store before long
Be Safe.