Improvement of UI when selecting Wifi networks

Having any issues or recomendations for the Amcrest Smart Home Cloud? Post them here.
Asynonyx

Improvement of UI when selecting Wifi networks

Post by Asynonyx »

Good day,

While setting up my AD410 doorbell it has occurred to me that selection of the Wifi network can become quite complex when one were to have multiple networks in an environment where dual-band is used. This complexity increases twofold when one is to introduce a Mesh solution where the AP's itself would then broadcast the same SSID aswell. In my case I have 6 options to choose from.

This is the current situation:
In this example you can see that my main network (in this example Alpha Network) is listed 4 times, an additional 2 Guest SSID's are shown.
This is due to the fact that my main AP is broadcasting 4 networks: Alpha Network (5 Ghz), Alpha Network (2.4 Ghz), Alpha Network Guest (5 Ghz) and Alpha Network Guest (2.4 Ghz). My additional Mesh AP is broadcasting another 2 networks: Alpha Network (5 Ghz) and Alpha Network (2.4 Ghz).
But seeing that my router is configured to broadcast all as the same name they are all listed as Alpha Network or Alpha Network Guest.

A more desirable situation that would make the UI more intuitive and user-friendly would be to include the MAC address of the AP discovered and whether it is a 2.4 or 5 Ghz band. Additionally one may introduce an option to fill in their own details (SSID/Network name and Password in case the SSID is not broadcasted publicly) like so (either one of these variants could work, it's just a personal preference in regards to where the information is displayed):

I know that developing an app isn't 'done in a day' but please let me know what you think ;)

- Asynonyx
jar349

Re: Improvement of UI when selecting Wifi networks

Post by jar349 »

I am writing to +1 this feature request. I have 4 access points on my property and they are all dual-band, so the UI shows my 8 identical wifi networks. Because of this, my AD410 continues to go offline because I am not able to join it to the wifi router that is only 10 feet away - because I don't know which one it is in the list!