Using Cat5 to WiFi adaptor with NV4108E-HS

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Brett4u6

Using Cat5 to WiFi adaptor with NV4108E-HS

Post by Brett4u6 »

Will this NVR work using an ethernet to wifi adaptor?

For years I had it working using a network switch, then recently it could no longer connect to the network. The IP Config Tool can see the NVR from my PC but cannot connect. It says the PC and NVR are not on the same network. I've triple checked the IP's and ports and they are correct. Amcrest support said this is because I'm connected through a switch (nevermind this worked fine for years).

Running another ethernet line to the NVR would be a major effort, hence my question about the adapter.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Using Cat5 to WiFi adaptor with NV4108E-HS

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There is no software in the NVR that could run that. Also the NVR if in warranty should be replaced the power chip for ethernet is dead. I have a POE 2108 that works on POE only and can't access NVR on local or even use local for cameras anymore.. on mine the chip is behind the NVRs speaker if it was real value chip I would have replaced it already. However its some odd chip with 200 on it lol.
So my guess is if you don't have poe nvr then system will need repair. If you have poe then move cable to poe port and setup cameras on switch to work with NVRs switch.
Be Safe.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Eliminate the switch to see if the NVR LAN port is even working when directly connected to a PC or laptop. If it isn't, a wi-fi adapter won't work either.

You could also to a network scan to see if the NVR IP address exists. If it does, something in the network is likely hosing things up.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@Pogo the IP will still come up when doing a search for the NVR's IP. Or at least in my case it does on my 2108E-HS NVR. That is why it was odd when I went in to see only POE Cameras online and not my normal networked cameras. I then did a Ping and I was able to get a Ping. However when I try to connect the NVR will not let me connect. So then I removed the cameras and tried again to add them. I can do a search from the NVR and the NVR will load in the search all my normal connected cameras however trying to add them will fail. When I do a search for the CHIP I get some ideas of what it could be however seeing there is no Schematics for the NVR and I don't have one for testing the chip of a working one having numbers that are really not able to tell me much because if I look at some China parts it could be a dual output LDO, however the same package from Ti while it looks kind of the same has much different values and the one from china says max output voltage is 6v where the Ti one says 17 and so it is just a NVR that I have pulled from Service for now seeing I have more then my Share of NVR's today. Anyway the package is a SOT23-6 and I will get around to repairing it at some point.

For the OP, I know that you said your NVR was E. When I wrote my text it was for others that might be reading with the same issue is why I said if it was without or with POE ports... So I thought I would be clear. On your NVR and depending on what year of device it is. using 1 network ported into lets say Port1 of your NVR will give you access to 1, 2, 3 and 4 however on a older machine that might give you access to all ports 1-8 So if you have more then 4 cameras you want connected and only 1-4 is working when you port the cable then port a second one to 5-8 and that will open the last 4.. Then your Switch normally is 10.1.1.xx and starts with 65 normally Once it goes to 5th port that can go upto 72 and or even 128 and above normally depends on if the camera was connected on a different port before.. What am I talking about? Taking that Cable from your normal Ethernet port seeing you said you didn't' want to pull cables. Connecting that ethernet cable from your normal port to port1 will give you 1-4 at least to add to your NVR for recording.. Keep in mind if your Switch that you are connecting from (If it is Managed switch) you might want to setup a Modified lan so your NVR switch don't try to hand out IP to your normal network devices. Also if you don't want to change your IP's for your cameras to the NVR's Switch. Then change the IP for your normal network of the NVR to something not in your current range and then change the IP of the NVR's switch to the IP of the current range.

So in my case one of my Network is on 10.2.22.xx and my NVR switch is 10.1.1.xx, So if you take the 10.2.22.xx and move it to say 192.168.1.xx and then move the NVR's switch to 10.2.22.xx then all cameras won't need to have the IP range changed and I can connect the cable to port and as I said before at least have 4 of the cameras recording until you can get a replacement NVR or that one fixed..
20221107_003518.jpg
20221107_003518.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1013 times
Be Safe.
Brett4u6

Post by Brett4u6 »

If I thought I would get such quick responses I would have checked back sooner. Thanks for the support.

@Pogo I think the network port is working as Amcrests IP config tool can see the NVR from another PC. But I could be wrong as I don't understand how the config tool can see the NVR but my router can't. I will will try connecting the cable directly from the router to the NVR and see how it goes.

@Revo2Maxx You're suggesting I plug the cable from the router into one of the PoE ports? I only have two cameras so that won't be a problem. The switch I was using is unmanaged, and was working fine. Is there any reason the NVR shouldn't work when connected to the router through an unmanaged switch?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No it will work fine even with an unmanaged Switch. What I was trying to do is help keep your NVR from trying to tell your other devices to use a IP from that Switch rather then your routers pool..

I can't say that you will have the issue. However I know that for me When my system was reboot and my NVR came online faster then my Router the NVR was giving out IP addresses and things I wanted to use was no longer working because the access to the Internet from Router pool wasn't valid with the NVR's Switch IP.. Also it was a while ago so it might have only been giving out IP's to other IP cameras that normally had a local IP rather than the NVR's Switch IP..

So that was one reason I mention that changing the switch to the normal network range in your NVR might be best. 1 it will make it so you don't have change the IPs to the Switch IP. With a managed Switch you can setup an area where the cameras will live and the NVR so it won't bother other devices. seeing my Switches are Managed I just setup an area that isn't connected to my main router and everything will work within it own Network range.. With your normal switch it should be fine just won't have the ability to fine tune the system. Just keep an eye on your Devices so they don't take on your NVR's Switch IP unless you want them too like your Cameras..

To give better understanding what I am talking about. Here is a screen shot from one of my local NVR's you can see in my Switch area user Network the Ip of the NVR for the PORTS. Then in the second Picture you can see the cameras connected to Port 5 and port 8 are the ones that are connected right now to POE ports.. If in this case my system wasn't working on the Normal IP range of my local network 10.0.0.xx I could change my Switch of the NVR to that and connect as I was saying cable that went to normal port to the Port 1 and I could then access the cameras without having to change the cameras IP..
Screenshot (4376).png
Screenshot (4376).png (51.38 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Screenshot (4377).png
Screenshot (4377).png (102.98 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I thought I posted some more info about what maybe the cause of the issue with your NVR. However it seems that it wasn't added or I put it on another thread by mistake. So I will just cut it down to very little info.

Looking at one of my 4108E-HS NVR's I see there is a 6pin chip right behind the Ethernet port of the NVR. My guess that is going to be the area of defect in your NVR. Either the 6pin chip or could be the diodes or caps that are in the same area. Now testing the Diodes might be able to tell if that is the issue however if they are not then there is more testing that will be needed. Looking at the board of mine and I am sure same for yours the Chip I am talking about is U133. Now it could also be an issue with the Ethernet Transformer that is right behind the port. Mine is listed as HST-00415AR by Group Tek. So it isn't something that I would know without it being tested. However testing the IC chip would be easiest way to know what is the cause.

Just keep in mind anyone that might be reading this. Working on PCB with SMD isn't something a normal off the shelf soldering iron would be able to deal with. So if you don't have a good Soldering station from Hakko, JBC or Weller to name a few I wouldn't try to work on any Security device like camera or recorders.
Be Safe.