Upgrading to NVR ; camera compatability

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
westb182

Upgrading to NVR ; camera compatability

Post by westb182 »

I currently have an older 1080p amcrest 8ch dvr (with the bnc connections). I've been having some issues with the cameras cutting out, so I pulled cat6 outdoor wires to all the cameras and used one of those Ethernet to bnc adapters, which solved some of the issues. I wanted to upgrade the main unit as its been acting up and 2 channels don't work (I think they shorted out a while ago with the old wiring).
If I upgraded to the NVR main unit, I assume that there's no way to be able to use my 1080p amcrest bnc cameras and I would need to upgrade the cameras to the poe Ethernet ones, correct?
James.S

Re: Upgrading to NVR ; camera compatability

Post by James.S »

westb182 wrote:I currently have an older 1080p amcrest 8ch dvr (with the bnc connections). I've been having some issues with the cameras cutting out, so I pulled cat6 outdoor wires to all the cameras and used one of those Ethernet to bnc adapters, which solved some of the issues. I wanted to upgrade the main unit as its been acting up and 2 channels don't work (I think they shorted out a while ago with the old wiring).
If I upgraded to the NVR main unit, I assume that there's no way to be able to use my 1080p amcrest bnc cameras and I would need to upgrade the cameras to the poe Ethernet ones, correct?

A DVR will use your BNC cabling and NVRs will not be compatible with BNC and digital/analog cameras. You will need to use IP cameras that connect to your network through WiFi and Ethernet.

An NVR will pick up the cameras on the network even if they aren't directly connected to the NVR via an Ethernet in the ports on the back.
westb182

Post by westb182 »

James.s wrote:
westb182 wrote:I currently have an older 1080p amcrest 8ch dvr (with the bnc connections). I've been having some issues with the cameras cutting out, so I pulled cat6 outdoor wires to all the cameras and used one of those Ethernet to bnc adapters, which solved some of the issues. I wanted to upgrade the main unit as its been acting up and 2 channels don't work (I think they shorted out a while ago with the old wiring).

A DVR will use your BNC cabling and NVRs will not be compatible with BNC and digital/analog cameras. You will need to use IP cameras that connect to your network through WiFi and Ethernet.

An NVR will pick up the cameras on the network even if they aren't directly connected to the NVR via an Ethernet in the ports on the back.
OK. That's what I thought but wanted to double check.
My options at this point would be to buy a new DVR and use the old cameras (BNC with the BNC to Ethernet adapters) or go NVR but I would need to replace all the cameras to IP ones.
Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and While I don't want to step on anyones toes there is a way to do what your asking... You can take your Analog BNC cameras and turn them into IP cameras per se... Sadly not all NVR's are made the same and some will not work unless the camera is made for the System in Question. Like Maybe Amcrest IP camera only work on their NVR or Security Software....

There is 3 different ways to pull this off on a OPEN type NVR or just for Viewing over NETWORK is all you want...

First one is Called Analog to IP Converter (Please don't confuse this idea of BNC to CAT5 it is more involved)
Second one is called Video Encoder/Network IP Video Server
Third one is called DVS (Digital Video Server)
Now these are really the same thing just different way of being called and is really a Mini computer Embedded with a Linux software with chips and sensors able to convert Analog to Digital and broadcast and stream the data over IP.

So now you know it can be done. Lets talk about what your going to need.

Cameras (analog you said you already have)
DVS to make it simple is one of the same 3 as stated above Cost for 1 camera around 80usd. a 4 Camera setup say by Axis is around 225 to 300usd
New NVR or Recording Software a Few HUN to THOU USD depends on system.

So you have your cables installed. Going NVR. use old cable to help PULL the NEW Cat5 or 6. Buy box 1000' from local hardware store. Pay little more make sure it is SOLID CORE. Buy conectors and connector Crimping tool and Data cable tester. Last thing you want to do is think it is all done and one of your pairs got messed up and Poof there goes a camera...
NEW NVR with Cameras Pay little more get POE built in or you will need to also buy a POE Switch.

So what kind of BNC system are you with now days anyway? Older like 600TVL or lower, or newer like 960h, CVI, TVI? You do know that you can get 5mp Cameras that still work over BNC? Infact there is some that claim that they can run HDCVI 8mp aka 4k over BNC. Cameras are around 3 to 400 each so that and a DVR that could Record 4k isn't going to be Cheap.

I on a Side note. Prefer BNC only 1 IP I have to worry about then and this is for the DVR.... I do have IP cameras but I did say Prefer..... lol I do have a 5mp Motorized Zoom TVI Camera. For this it is really a Motorized Varifocal camera. While it is better Res then all my PTZ or Box 37x zoom cameras. My zoom cameras out perform the 5mp on zoom. But it should seeing the 5mp is only a 2.8 to 12mm lens. and my 37x is like 3.6 to 134 or something like that...

James
Be Safe.