Understanding your Logs. Is your New DVR/NVR New?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Understanding your Logs. Is your New DVR/NVR New?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I had someone ask about how to tell the age of a DVR/NVR after a comment I made yesterday so I thought I would pass it along.

If you bought a DVR/NVR that is said to be new and you want to know for sure that it is new or not here are some things to do..

First if your DVR/NVR was built without a HDD (Do this before you install one) Turn on your Recorder and setup it up. Once you setup up go to the Log and do a search. IT should show in the log a Shut Down Message, Click Details of that message and it will give you the date the Recorder was last shut down. Do a search for that date and if it has info about being setup then you know it is new and a good idea when it was built ready for Sale...

So in my case when I started my 4108E-HS NVR, I did a search of the logs, It shows that the last time it was shut down was on 1-14-2020. So then you do a search of that date and it should show you Startup info about the Device being setup for the first time. So I know that from the logs the Device was setup for the first time in 2020, I know that it was built in 2019 because it shows it was shut down in 2019 yet if you do a search there is no info for that date because it was put together in 2019 but was not turned on and setup only turned on to confirm it was ready to be setup. Then in 2020 when ready to be Resold it was setup.

There has been a few times that I was going to start it up and didn't because I wanted to keep in new as a Backup. Well that time for use as a Backup came today so it was started and as soon as a HDD is installed all older logs will be overwritten. Same can be said if you remove a HDD lets say after you use it for some time. It will remove all older Logs and will not lead you to the Setup date log either because that would have been wiped. Also adding a new FW could also remove all the Logs before the day you added the FW Setup for the First time isn't something that would show in Log more then once unless it was something done at Amcrest.

So I did Install a New HDD after I did the Video and the Logs are still there so If you install new Firmware or Clear the logs then they are gone forever so check before installing new Firmware.
You can see the Video here where I show the steps to take from turning on your Recorder to checking the logs and showing the info about it being Setup for the first time in 2020 and the date showing in 2022 when I turned it on for the first time to the date of when it was last turned off..
https://youtu.be/akbKqQ1B95I
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe