unable to connect to NVR using P2P from outside.

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: unable to connect to NVR using P2P from outside.

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I guess I have to ask What DVR's are you trying to connect with? I know there are some older systems that worked on a different type of network and might be they pulled service for them.. I don't know personally. I know that all the ones I connect with I use AVP (Amcrest View Pro) and they all still work as expected.

Next and something also to keep in mind seeing I have seen talk on here about it I will mention it as a cause. If the systems were added a FW that didn't belong to Amcrest and they were updated with a FW that was able to be installed from Dahua (Rare but some devices people have talked about doing so) and if that is the case for your DVR's then you would no longer have access to the App from Amcrest and would have to use the App for the part of the FW update.. Keep in mind that most cases if this is done it is a ONE WAY TRIP and Amcrest FW wouldn't be able to be reinstalled.

Next need to make sure that your DVR's have full access to the Internet, I am not talking about port forwarding or anything like that, I am talking about the router or firewall device isn't blocking any ports that are going to the device. TCP/UDP both should be open. Any Ip Filtering can be problematic if device IP's change over time. Next need to double check that each device is active and show they are online. You can look over GUI or WebUI under Network and P2P or Network, TCP/IP and P2P depending on the device FW date. If it is online and showing like picture below then last thing is that the App setup for the device needs to be setup using P2P method and not IP method. IP method would only work local to the device in same network as the DVR...
Screenshot (979).png
Screenshot (979).png (88.64 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Be Safe.
RAS

Post by RAS »

Thanks again for the quick reply.

All of our DVRs are less than 5 years old... and have been working well until recently. We are using AVP on all systems.
Model # AMDVTENL-16 is typical of all units.

No FW updates or any other updates installed that I'm aware of.

DVRs are set for P2P and show to be on line as indicated on the screen.

It seems as though something is restricting the data stream to/from the internet.. as previously mentioned, occasionally
we can get one or two camera images to appear while all others show failed to connect error.

What's really strange is all of these systems are in different locations with two different ISPs and no interconnectivity between devices...
yet all 5 are suddenly unable to connect via P2P to allow offsite viewing. All systems continue to work well on the local internal networks.

It's almost, as you mentioned, like a firewall is blocking the stream... but I'm unaware of any such changes unless the ISP updated systems
yet all other internet activities are unhampered across 4 locations. (The systems are installed at our church, a day school, and Aux facility and two homes)

Again, thanks so much for the ideas and tech info.

mardyn and RAS
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hate to mention this, However I do have an older 7204 from many moons ago. There are times that things get strange and only thing I can do is do a Factory Reset to get it back to working right. Most times it last a year or 2. I have not had that issue with my 8M16-H5 or my 7108-AI DVR's however it might be because I am always resetting to factory because of different things I am doing or setting up for testing and between each I reset to factory lol.

I would say maybe make a Ticket if you have tried to Reset to factory and see if they can come up with something. Maybe they have a way of doing some type of Reboot from that can make things work right. Don't think so but maybe there is something they can offer. Strange that it would show online and not have access to the system. Internet speed could be a factor however if moved over to trying to view on the Main and sub channels has same outcome then hard to tell..
Be Safe.
RAS

Post by RAS »

I'm going to continue working with it... I'll report back in to update my progress.

Thx for the assistance.

mardyn & RAS
slinson

Post by slinson »

Same here.

Got NVR model# NV4116-HS and has been running without any issue for years. No ISP change or router change or firewall setting change or settings change on any Amcrest devices whatsoever. Probably from sometime in early/mid December of 2023, remote P2P view stopped working all of a sudden on external network (celullar or any wifi other than home). Everything still works fine on home wifi (both IP mode or P2P mode).

For above reason, I suspect the same as many have mentioned above, that something on Amcrest cloud/server side has changed or is no longer working with USA infrastructure.

I checked NVR settings and the P2P mode shows "Online" no problem. I even toggled it between "Online" and "Offline" a few times followed by NVR reboots to see if would fix anything but unfortunately no. Also I tried remove/re-add the NVR in Amcrest app, no luck again.

To isolate the possibility that something is wrong with my NVR, I tried all above procedures, for example re-adding/connecting a few Amcrest cameras USING P2P mode, but connection always failed too under celullar or any wifi other than home. Again, only works when the phone is within home wifi using IP direct mode.

Not sure what that ultimate bug is, but I don't believe it is on end-users side like me.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@slinson Hello and Welcome to the forum..

To help you better please post a picture from your phones page. Open app, then click on the device you want to use if not already loaded. Then in the top left side click that 3 dot 3 line icon, Click on device Manager, the device, then Pencil, Then take a snap shot of that. Most times if you press the down volume button and power button on my phone at the same time will take a screen shot. Or drag the little border from right edge to center will pull in a menu area and locate the screen shot is another way.. Sure you already know how to take a snapshot on your phone, just wanted to cover that incase you didn't seeing some people don't use that feature.
Be Safe.
RAS

Post by RAS »

As we continue to unravel this issue with our Amcrest systems...

today we temporarily installed another brand NVR in place of one of our existing Amcrest DVRs in an effort to test our network and systems. Same cameras/cabling/monitor/wiring/power supply/etc.

The Hikvision NVR worked well in place of the Amcrest DVR and was able to use the Hikvison App to view cams remotely via smart phone.

I believe something has changed on the Amcrest end that is not allowing access to our camera feeds. We're unsure of how to proceed
at this point... replacing all of our Amcrest recorders is being discussed.

mardyn
gemon

Post by gemon »

NVR Model: Amcrest NV2116-HS
Was working since 2021, stopped working around Mid to Late December. Can Not View Through App Via P2P

Okay, I thought we were only having this issue. It is a little comforting (not really, but I have been pulling my hair) hearing that others are having the same issue!
Nothing has changed on our end, we have a few Amcrest NVRs around town and only about 2 of many are able to be access. I even have one site where they have 2 NVRs, same models, but only one is able to be viewed outside the local network. I even went through each setting, thinking someone probably tinkered around, but nope, they are exactly the way they were first setup (around 1 year ago), they both match! I know it isn't on our end because they have been working fine for a couple of years. Now some clients are not pleased that they are not able to view their cameras through the app.

I called Amcrest like 30mins ago and told them about this issue. This is how it went...

Amcrest: Hello, thank you for calling etc etc etc
Me: I am having this and that issue, p2p issues, working fine until mid-Dec, etc
A: Oh, well, we didnt change anything on our end. Are you sure you didnt change something?
M: Yes, I am positive.
A: Oh, ummm download the latest firmware and re-add NVR. But also try adding it to the new app, Amcrest View Pro 2.
M: Well, the NVR has the latest firmware and it been having this firmware for a while. It worked but now it is not working. I saw on the forums that some people are experiencing the same issue with P2P.
A: Ummm, well, we didn't change anything. Just try re-flashing the latest firmware and try to add it with the new app. From what we know, nothing has changed on our end.
M: Okay, I will try that and get back with you all.
Me: I exported settings, downloaded latest firmware, upgraded NVR with latest firmware, imported settings, tried to add it via P2P on their new Amcrest App. Conclusion: It still did not work. I even tried adding it back to the old app, but to no avail.

I think it is on their end. I really like this brand but something like this, hurts. I wonder if they are viewing these forums or are getting calls from all over about this. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly, if not, may be time to look at other brands.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Maybe an issue with your Cell Service? You all happen to be using ATT?

Also the person that at one site with 2 NVR's where one can be accessed other can't. Is it the same user that is trying to access the 2 NVR's or is it one that can and different user same location with access to second NVR kind of thing? that can't?

My son on the West cost has iOS that he is using on ATT has no access and my iPhone XR on Verizon can access same NVR even with me in Midwest part of USA. I have over 10 recorders in different locations all of them that I have internet with I can access using P2P using Android and iPhone on Verizon. So if you happen to be using ATT that might be the connection. Just a guess..
Be Safe.
jholm2024

Post by jholm2024 »

I am having the same issue - for 3+ years no issues, now for the last few weeks I am no longer able to view all 8 cameras when away from my home network. We have rebooted, re-installed, checked P2P, etc with no change. I even bought a brand new camera, installed it correctly to test and it wouldn't work outside of our local wifi. Considering changing mfg at this rate, can't seem to find a reputable answer.