Two Way Talk Issues

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
tvlarry

Two Way Talk Issues

Post by tvlarry »

NVR NV4108E & PTZ Camera Model IP4M-1053EW

Trying to enable 2 way talk, the camera has 3 audio cables labeled, mic, line out, ground. When connecting a powered mic to the mic input and ground you can hear audio using the iphone app or the mac computer Amcrest Viewer.
So the mic connection at the camera directs the audio microphone audio into the camera, back to the NVR, and back to the signed in application when you press the Speaker icon within the app.
The issue is I can not talk back to send a signal the other way to the camera by clicking on the mic icon within the app. I connected a small audio amplifier to the Line Out red wire and get zip. There is very little documentation on any 2 way talk setup ,troubleshooting at all.
After reading similar posts from 2016 with other Amcrest camera complaints the feedback was you can not use 2 way talk when connected to a NVR? I hope this is still not the case. Can anyone shed some light on this issue please ?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Two Way Talk Issues

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

While I don't have your camera nor an NVR so I might not be the best answer. I wonder if your camera while working with an NVR also could work with Amcrest Pro App on your Cell phone or tablet? Have you tried the talk from there?

While i see your NVR is a Poe and most likely has the Camera behind its own firewall. It could be that you could make a connection past the NVR and try the talk over your Cell phone app...

I think what the problem is when someone with a NVR that has POE is that the camera doesn't have access past the NVR. Have you tried to connect to the NVR by the way of Amcrest Pro App and try the talk from there?

So while I don't have a NVR I have heard that you could if all your ports are not in use make a connection to a laptop or desktop and access your cameras on the camera side of the NVR. Others have said they do it. I would guess that you could if all your POE ports are used could use a Switch on one of the ports to extend your ability to access the cameras...

Just remember that any safety that the NVR offers before making a change like that could enable another person to gain access to your cameras on the other side if you were to open it up to your network traffic more then just the Normal eth0 port of the NVR
Be Safe.
tvlarry

Post by tvlarry »

Thanks James
Yes I have tried the Pro App on the iphone, tapping on the mic icon and talking gets no audio out of the camera Line Output. You can not directly access the 10.10 ip address of the camera when its plugged into the NVR. I might try plugging in a connection from the router to one of the camera ports to see if that would do the trick. Once you plug the camera into the NVR it applies the local lan ip 10.10.so on ip address to the camera and it no longer can be reached directly. Im also going to reset the camera and plug it in direct to the router to try to access its settings and work it without the NVR as my next test. Will advise.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

You could do that for sure I am sure it would work with a Direct connect... What I was saying to try if your not using all ports on the back of your POE NVR is to take a Computer that you could use say for your Security station and plug it into your NVR POE port that isn't in use. If all are used then a Option is to use a Switch on one of the ports. Then camera and a computer plugs into switch. With this setup the computer could be set on a Static IP in range with cameras. SO say 10.0.1.150, 10.0.1.151 to 10.0.1.157 then you could set the IP on the computer to 10.0.1.160. Now here is the part that would work to keep it secure per se. Only connect switch or computer to NVR without a cable from the Switch to your router would keep everything behind the 10.0.1.XXX however if you take your switch and connect to your router to gain access from outside your network that could open for a less secure camera system...
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

tvlarry,
See if this works for you.
https://amcrest.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 519#p17519
tvlarry

Post by tvlarry »

Solution was to get rid of the NVR unit, I am now using a POE inserter, and for storage an NAS unit. This is the best I have ever setup with any system. Using a Qnap NAS unit you can direct each camera to a public folder to store all the video and access it from anywhere. Also you bypass the NVR screwed up engineering with 2 way talk which only allows 2 way talk to one camera and only provides one audio output, my way I have audio 2 way talk on every single camera. All Line outs I have going to a 2 channel mixer then a Bogen small PA amp. You can use the left channel for one group of speakers and the right for another. What a great setup now.