Trying to access Amcrest DVR on Roku via IP

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
FamilyDoc

Trying to access Amcrest DVR on Roku via IP

Post by FamilyDoc »

Hi all,

I have a Amcrest ProHD 1080P 16CH DVR that is working with 8 analog 5 mp cameras and I am able to view everything from my mobile and laptop devices using the Amcrest View Pro apps. However, I would like the cameras to be viewable on the family room TV monitors sometimes not everyone has the apps accessible. I was able to find some Amcrest support articles online and discover how to create links for VLC and such to stream the cameras.

This link works for VLC and displays one camera at a time:
rtsp://user:pwd@ip:port/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

However the second link:
http://user:Pwd@ip:port/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?[channel=<channelno>]&subtype=1

Gives me various issues. I noticed I was unable to get the link working using the information provided in a browser or in VLC. But I noticed if I substituted port 80 instead of port 37777 (which is the TCP port on my DVR) this link had a reaction in my local browser - black screen, with a small white box. If I cut out the 'user:PWD@' it would ask for username and password in a pop-up and upon successful entering give me the black screen with a small white box, so it seems the link with 80(which is the DVR's HTTP port) seems to at least connect.

I tried using this second link in the IP Viewer Pro app on Roku but the settings never seem to go through. I tried the RTSP link too since that works for VLC but also had no luck. I substituted the TCP port on the IP Viewer Pro app on the Roku to 80, instead of the 37777 I was using but that also did not have any effect.

I have verified I have substreams enabled on all my cameras within the DVR, but I could not verify if there is any ONVIF or MJPEG setting within the DVR, I did not see any options for that.

Has anyone had any luck getting the Amcrest DVRs to display on Roku smart TVs? Any advice or suggestions? Thank you for your help!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Trying to access Amcrest DVR on Roku via IP

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So yeah I have tried a good few times to add different systems. So after you post I moved it from one of my Axis cameras to a Amcrest camera. Now I will admit that I did try again to do a few different ways of connecting to all of my systems. None of the newer FW ones wanted to work.

So then I went to a Camera directly and was able to connect to my 941 that I have on my front porch. Using this URL sorry about the picture quality but is what it is.. IF you right click the URL and make it large even though I made it 30% the normal size picture it is still big enough you can make out the URL..

So then I tried again a few different newer FW NVR's and couldn't get it to work. Then tried my OLD FW 4108E-HS and it setup to use CH5 and found that odd but was nice so it did work. I then tried all other channels before I found out what happened. One, when I make a connection to the 941 it changed the settings for my Sub Channel to MJPEG, So I change the Encoding to a few others for testing and sure enough I can stream full time video of any channels that works in MJPEG format.

Yeah I know I never took the plastic off my old TV lol. Normally only using it for one of my Security monitors so I don't care it is there lol..

Does your TV no offer Auto? I mean I did mine with what I remember using before and was able to get it to work. I tried Auto and was able to pull a couple of my other cameras that still work with the info from my TV. If you TV has the ability to search for URL, or even for IP devices I would do auto for both to see if it pulls in what is needed. I am using PORT 80 on mine.. Even tried it in 554 however 80 works fine.. Maybe it is just as easy to change your sub channel to MJPEG format Encoding. However if on newer FW might need to turn off RTSP Digest and make it lower security if there is an option in your device. I will try again on my DVR's In the last picture I have it working on Ch8 of that NVR where before changing the Encoding it would give a Broken LInk. NVR wouldn't let the system change the encoding and worked on Ch5 to start with because it was my 941 that had changed when going to it Directly.
20230127_212413_resized.jpg
20230127_212413_resized.jpg (141.65 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
20230127_212203_resized.jpg
20230127_212203_resized.jpg (350.51 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
20230127_220028_resized.jpg
20230127_220028_resized.jpg (487.2 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
FamilyDoc

Post by FamilyDoc »

Hi,

Thank you so much for the help and the pictures, I tried what you mentioned, changing the link to the one you used but had no luck.

I noticed if I use the IP View App on Roku and hit "Discover" the app is able to correctly find the Amcrest DVR ip from the network. After filling out the details, I tried to use the "ONVIF Auto Config" but that did not discover any device. I also tried the link you sent manually:

/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

but that also did not connect anything. I noticied if I hit "Scan" the TV does discover the Amcrest link I tried using last-time:

/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=1

But of course, after clicking "OK" to that link and then clicking "Test Camera Config" I still don't get anything.

I seem to have all the same options in the Roku TV app but I think because I am using a DVR (and I believe you mentioned using a NVR) I am not getting the ONVIF protocol? I don't have that option under substream in the DVR settings at all. So perhaps this is an issue where the Roku's IP Camera Viewer app expects ONVIF and my DVR which is connected to analog cameras is not producing the ONVIF protocol?

I rechecked my Camera settings for the Main Stream and Sub Stream and do NOT see any options for MJPEG or ONVIF so perhaps I don't have that option for my cameras/my Amcrest DVR?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah, Looking at my DVR's I don't have any option for MJPEG and I have not been able to get anything to work on any of my DVR's. Only find the option in IP cameras and the NVR after setting the IP camera to MJPEG settings.

Looks like the option for view in the tv won't work with DVR at this time. Maybe in a new update to the Roku TV app it might be a workable format. I know that the older look of Cam View on my TV didn't have all the options it has now. SO it is cool to find out they are doing updates still..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

H.264 is not directly supported by IP Camera Viewer or CamDiggity for Roku devices. An MJPEG substream is required for these apps and looks horrible anyway.

Two much better options would be an AndroidTV box or Firestick plugged into a spare HDMI input for access to any number of far superior solutions for camera viewing on a TV. tinyCam obviously comes to mind as the logical first choice. Cam Viewer Pro may even actually work on an Android box using screen orientation correction.

Another option is to cast to the Roku from the camera phone app of your choice. I've not tried with Amcrest View Pro but don't know why it wouldn't work.

If going with an additional HDMI device for the purpose, I highly recommend the ONN AndroidTV 4K Streaming box from WalMart for $20 if you can still find one. Don't be tempted by the stick. Get the box. It works great for tinyCam and VLC as well. A fast and capable device for the money and perfect for the purpose -- for twenty bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android- ... /636597403