Things to keep in mind when setting up storage on Recorder

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Things to keep in mind when setting up storage on Recorder

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello all,

So I have been in rush many times and make mistakes even when not in a rush, Most times that can be cured later same day or soon there after as long as your on the installed Site..

First don't clear your logs (not recording for however you can see the info from the past if you don't clear them)

So a few years ago I setup my DVR on a site that no one visits often and when they did only time the recorder would be accessed if there was something missing or wrong with the location.

DVR I have found to be more stable when it comes to setting up recording and leaving the site for long time with HDD just over writing old footage. NVR's have always just seem to give an error and crash with no new footage being recorded.

In 2020 last time recorder was visited until last NOV when it was pulled and now only use for backup use. Main reason not to clear logs is everything that was done before being cleared can't been looked over. I have a NVR that I can go back to 2016 in Logs so I know they do keep. Just keep in mind that if a HDD is replaced it seems they do keep some of the data in the HDD not just ROM..

So anyway about recording setup make sure if you don't have a mic that you turn off under Storage, Record the Sub Channel. Only use that on manual if you want to record full time at reduced image size to help save space. Also lets say on a DVR if you have 16ch only use 10 that you turn off Snapshots and Streams for any Channels that you don't have a Camera on.. On a 8m16-H5 it will record around 20 to 30gigs a day with nothing connected and that is space that you could have added to your camera installed channels..

next if you don't have a reason for full time jpg (snapshots) then turn them to motion only because from factory all channels comes setup to record full time and take full time snapshots..

See Video below for some mistakes I made while in a rush setting up a Remote location only getting 21 days for 10 channels of 960h recording
https://youtu.be/w1hnLfGsKxM
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe