Testing NVR and Amcrest 150 ft POE Cable

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
JDOhio

Testing NVR and Amcrest 150 ft POE Cable

Post by JDOhio »

Greetings!

I'm testing my cable runs in new construction. I have a LinkSys WRT54G v.3 router and a NV4108E NVR (new). I have two 150 ft runs and two 100 ft runs using the the Amcrest cable available in Security Accessories page.

My laptop is connected by ethernet to the the router, and the router is connected by ethernet to the NVR (no internet connection). I'm using Amcrest IP Config to evaluate the connection. I verified this set up with an Amcrest 60 ft cable and an Amcrest IP5M-D1188EW-28MM camera.

When I attempt to connect to the same camera over the 150 ft cable, IP Config says "open preview failed". I tried a different location with a different 150 ft cable and received the same message. I tried the 60 ft cable again and was successful. I tried two 100 ft installations and they were successful.

Any ideas on why the 150 ft installation fails to open the preview?

Thanks!
Joe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Testing NVR and Amcrest 150 ft POE Cable

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.
How are you trying to power the cameras? I ask because you talk about things are connected and using IP Config for testing? This testing the NVR or camera it self? I mean it's a poe NVR so my guess you connected to POE port of NVR?
Be Safe.
JDOhio

Post by JDOhio »

Thanks for asking!

I'm powering the camera through the POE port of the NVR.

Joe
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

You are likely experiencing excessive voltage drop with the extra 50' due to poor quality cable or limitations of the 4108 or a combination of both.

If the UTP cabling happens to be CCA (copper clad aluminum) instead of pure solid copper UTP you are automatically incurring quality issues there in both video and powering performance/capability. Add the relatively modest 72W POE capability of the 4108 and that could very well be your problem with the 150' runs. That said, if only a single POE channel is being used for the testing, there should ample powering for a single camera at 150'. (The more cameras being powered by the switch, the less wattage available per camera..., at least with a 4108E according to the specs.)

An easy test for the latter would be to power the camera with a POE injector or different POE switch with a little bit more horsepower to see if you can make that extra 50' -- unless you indeed discover the cable is CCA, in which case you'll want to replace it with real high performance UTP network cabling anyway -- and probably recover the power loss needed for that extra 50' in doing so.
JDOhio

Post by JDOhio »

Thanks for your post, @Pogo !

I checked the details of the Amcrest 150 ft cable. I couldn't believe when I read that the cable is indeed CCA. The details make no claim to operate with any one NVR. Additionally, the NVR details make no claim on maximum distance to a camera or cameras.

I expect to perform the test you outlined soon. I'll be back with results; I'm off to Amazon.

Joe
JDOhio

Post by JDOhio »

22 Oct 2023 Update

I did not do the POE test; I went with the solid copper UTP.

The longest run, around 140 ft, was successful. I did have to refresh the NVR a couple times but the live image appeared. I'll run the remainder of the lines this week and verify all cameras.

Joe
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Great! Happy to hear it.

Keep in mind that night time operation requires additional power for IR LED and other special feature functionality (if you haven't already confirmed you're good there, too).

Also keep in mind that the additional cameras will reduce individual POE channel wattage availability as more cameras are added. Switching to the better cable on the remaining channels will obviously help with more equitable POE distribution as well.