setting up nv4108e-hs and getting nowhere

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
brucewol

setting up nv4108e-hs and getting nowhere

Post by brucewol »

This is my second amcrest nvr, the first was amnv30m8-4b which died awhile back. i wanted to keep my cameras so i stayed with amcrest.

i did the initial install and got through it where one of my cameras worked after i did a hard reset because i didn't have the password. this was a an indoor camera that had a reset button so it was easy. during this process, using the monitor connected to the dvr, i felt that there were times where the manual didn't correspond correctly to the software.

my outdoor bullet cameras i had to dismount to be able to screw out the front. so while they were off, i reset one and connected it directly to the nvr and not use the ethernet cable i routed through my house.

got this camera to be viewable so i remounted it. and now nothing works. sometimes it's hung in registration mode, other times says user/password wrong or 10.1.1.71 cannot find the network host.

i would like to reset the nvr and start over but cann't find how to do this.

also, i need some clarification on dhcp. from what i've read, it is better to turn dhcp on for the nvr and have the cameras set with a static ip. not sure why i need dhcp on if cameras ip is static, so could use some help explaining this.

also, it appears the cameras should have an ip of 10.1.1.xxx so they are in a different subdomain then my main router.

seems like i need to access the cameras stand alone to configure their static ip. so once this is done, will i only be able to access the camera when it is connected to the nvr?

thanks for any help you might be able to provider.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: setting up nv4108e-hs and getting nowhere

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well so there is a lot going on there and I am not sure I follow all...

I am guessing that you were talking about your Camera that you took down you connected it over WIFI? Then when you connected it back it wasn't there anymore>? or did I miss something there?

So I am not sure about your NVR.. I know that Mine is a Down model from yours does have a Reset button in the inside of the cases.. MIne is a 2116-HS to get it to work is another story.. So if yours don't have a Reset Button inside the case you will need to go to the NVR UI. Main Menu, Setting then Default tab on the left.. There you will see some icons don't worry about them unless your trying to just reset things back to default however to do a Factory Reset there shoudl be a button on the Bottom left of the OK button. Click that button a Message will pop up asking if you want to Do a Factory Reset.. Yes and then you will be back at the new setup of your NVR after it Resets..

So About your cameras.. there is a couple of things that you can do if your not in the same Range for your IP cameras...

IN NVR Main Menu, Click Camera, then click Device Search. There you can click the Camera you want to make changes to if it isn't in the range you want and once you have the camera box checked click Modify IP...

This will bring up a Box for that camera in there it will Show DHCP or Static, IF it is already set to static and a Amcrest camera you can change the info to suite your needs here however if it isn't a Amcrest Camera I would make sure that your NVR is setup as a DHCP server and set the camera to DHCP this will be better to get the right info for adding the cameras because after making the changes and doing a Search again for your device it will give the right info for what PORTS are needed for adding if you have a lot of IP cameras like I do it is hard some times to know what Port is needed for adding to NVRs... Once you have that info saved in the IP setting press Save and do it again for all cameras that you find.. THen Do device search again, then add the cameras to your camera list.. Most of the issues come from knowing if they are to be Set to Private or ONIVIF that is why I like to make sure I can have the NVR find the Camera it will know what format it needs to be in...

However for what ever reason if your cameras can not be found that way and you know the Range they were in and you have POE switch like I do connected to your Network you can connect your cameras to your Switch and go to the Camera WebUI and setup the camera the way you want then take the camera and connect it to your POE NVR... that is an Option as well.. Most times POE NVRs might have an area that one can click to make changes inside the cameras once they are connected to the NVR however the Changes are Limited and I prefer to connect them to my POE Switch and make changes to my Cameras from the WebUI for the camera.... Then connect back to POE NVR...

So it is hard to say what is going on.. Maybe from the NVR Camera Menu take a Picture after doing a Device Search.. Also a list of Camera models #'s might help so others could give idea of what is best for connection..

Also I am not sure about the older NVR that you had.. Might want to make sure they are ONVIF if they are not Normal Amcrest Cameras because there are some that might have only worked with System Specific NVR's I am not saying this is your Case I am just saying that could happen where if there was an issue with NVR same type NVR would be required because cameras have a CHIP that the NVR looks for? Again not saying this is the issue but there are systems out there like that..
Be Safe.
brucewol

Post by brucewol »

revo2maxx thanks for your reply. I'm somewhat familiar with what as that's the way my old NVR NV4108E worked. Hover with this nvr, they have made substantial changes to the UI but have not updated the manual provided or what you can currently download. So I'm trying to operate per the old ui and stumbling around trying to follow similar screens. Until I get a correct manual it will be hard to make progress from a global perspective. i plan on submitting a number of posts that are very specific. i realize i'll most likely get answers the way the ui used to work and then will try to figure out how to do this with the new ui. hard to believe that amcrest would put out a new ui interface for the nvr and not provide an updated manual. but then my expectations of quality from amcrest have always been low.

I'm using all poe connections, i just took my outside cameras off their mounts and directly connected them to the nvr poe connections. just unmounted again my outside camera again and it is now viewable. will need to test my cabling from the nvr to the garage, maybe it went bad in the last year.

right now i don't think i need to do a reset. the main menu is different now and haven't found a reset option on it. i thought i had to a reset because the nvr was screwed up, it appears it's the new ui.

understand exactly what you say about making changes directly in the camera rather than through the nvr. right now my camera ip's are 10.1.1.xxx, i guess set by the poe switch. don't know how i can access them directly through my router.

I think i did figure out why my nvr seemed to hand. some screens do not have an obvious back button. if you right click, there is an option to get to the main menu. i also unclicked some option about a menu bar that was floating and would sometime disappear. can't find that option right now. now i have fixed menu's along the left.

so now onto more specific posts. thanks again
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Just attempting to set up nvr and having no luck finding it on the network with my computer. I bought a 2116 and added a 4tb seagate hard drive i have connected to a ubiquiti cube with an ethernet cable through a switch and have one camera also connected to the switch. After plugging in the network light and hdd lights come on then about a minute later they go off and there is and annoying squeal form the nvr about every two minutes.
I have tried to connect to my computer through the amcrest configuration program and it only finds a wifi camera that i had previously been using with my phone..
any help would be appreciated..
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Ok a little more information. It was squealing because i only put one of the wires to the HD, my fault. That problem solved, my computer still doesnt see but maybe I know why but I dont know how to fix it..

I have internet in my house through a wireless connection from local town, it is extended to two barns--I am a farmer-- so that i have wireless internet in each barn. I am trying to put the nvr in the middle barn and add cameras in each barn and my house. When I brought my nvr into the house where my computer is then it was recognized so it doesnt really matter to me which place it is but I need all three buildings to be on the same network.