Rollback firmware?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Ristin

Rollback firmware?

Post by Ristin »

Amcrest NVR Model NV4116-HS

The tech industry preaches update, update, update to keep ahead of security breaches and vulnerabilities.
About 3 weeks ago I noticed a firmware update for my NVR. Version V4.lotsofnumbers build date 2020-05-21
Installed without checking the forums, bad idea.
Long story short, lots of issues but the big issue is I no longer get picture attachments with the video detection alert emails. I have the attachment box checked and the NVR can successfully send email but never any pictures.

I've tried everything I can think of so I'd like to rollback to the previous firmware. I've Googled rolling back the firmware but there isn't much info. I tried to rollback using the update feature in the system menu but it just fails.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Rollback firmware?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum...

So first of a couple of things.. Sadly with the NEW update there are a few things that should be done.. First, Because of the update going from Old style to the New JS style one should Reset the NVR back to factory settings... Please understand I know this feeling as I have a few different 8 and 16ch NVR some POE and some not.. Looking at your model unless the E was left out on accident yours is the easier of NVR's to reset because there is no attached cameras on POE.. I have had my 4216E-AI NVR little less then a month or around a month and I have reset it 6 times so far.. Mainly because I am changing Setup from one type to another and it is easier to do a Reset and start over then to try and make sure all channels are cleared to make a good transition from one type of install to the next...

Ok Next and here is where it gets little hard to understand.. When we went from older FW to the newer (I also have a 2116-HS that I updated) all the Pictures no longer went in my Push notices and what needs to be done now is in the cameras that you want the notices setup on they need to be setup to have pictures pushed... I know don't make sense seeing it wasn't that way before.. However now what I have done is just setup my Cameras to have 1 3 or 5 pictures pushed depending on what yours is setup for I personally had mine set to 3... Before this update I only thought it was needed for the cameras to push but no the NVR won't push without the camera having the option setup The camera don't even need to have Micro SD installed...

The thing that one also needs to keep in mind with the update is that if there are multi people with Admin rights the machine can be turned off from Remote while I like the ability to Reboot by remote don't like that someone could turn off and no one even know it is off unless your trying to playback something.. Not all NVR's are like mine that when you Shut down it then shows on the screen that you need to remove power.. IF yours goes offline without having to remove power then it will be different but still can be shut off by remote... For mine anyway if an admin was to turn off by remote, another admin could log in and it would act like it was online they might not know anything is wrong unless they try to playback something.. Good news is that if they notice they can do a Reboot and it will come back without having to be in front of the machine... Again if your the only Admin then it won't matter.. Just want to pass that on to everyone that has 4.0 FW so something don't get missed...
Be Safe.
Ristin

Post by Ristin »

Thanks for the reply
There is no E on my NVR model number
I've done the full reset and added the cameras back. Still having all kinds of issues.
I've set the cameras up to push notices as described in your reply. That has helped some but I'd say I'm still only getting picture attachments maybe 25% of the time.
I have four IP3M-943 cameras. All the cameras are on the same firmware version and configured the same.

CAM1-Email alerts disabled on camera & NVR but I occasionally get an email alert
CAM2-Email alerts & 5 Pics enabled on Cam and NVR. Get email alerts but never any pictures
CAM3-Email alerts & 5 Pics enabled on Cam and NVR. Get email alerts & sometimes 1 to 4 pics
CAM4-Email alerts & 5 Pics enabled on Cam and NVR. Get email alerts & 1 to 5 pics

I have the cameras & NVR more for fun than security so it's not the end of the world that they don't function properly just annoying.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

OK sorry When I wrote that info I left some out..

On some cameras it isn't needed to have the Cameras setup as JPG active and that would be the older cameras with older FW before the JS fw of 2019 and newer..

So take for instance I have most of my 841's now working on the older FW, I still have my 841EB, 841 from 2015 working with the JS or newer FW and then a few other cameras from Amcrest that are on 2020 FW any of the newer FW cameras need to have the settings setup for jPG in the camera as well as the NVR..

So next for my setup I had my system setup for pictures in Email oddly I get maybe 3 pictures ok, When I setup to 5 pictures I can get all 5 if there is no Network Traffic. So I thought ok lets try the app. Using the Amcrest View Pro app on my cell I setup my cameras same ones I had setup for Email, Set them to 3 pictures and I am very impressed with the outcome. I get the alert as soon as the even is over and at times even before it is over on a car that is going by 30 mi an hour and when I go to look at it they play back like a mini video however just images playing..
So here is some info that might be important for the way I use my system.. 1 on my cameras connected to my NVR I have them set at Anti Dither 0 (On my NVR have to set for 5 to 10 seconds because I full screen the motion on DVR) however on my NVR I don't so I set all my cameras to 0, I also can get more then 3 images if there is a lot of motion in place and this will be done in one go. So for instance, Car backing out next door produced 10 images in my push notice that all played in my playback like a motion picture..

To be honest, 3 pictures is good enough, 5 hardly ever worked for me on Email, Turning the pictures down from 5 to 3 in QUality can help but if there is high traffic on your network it can be highly delayed and may time out and just send an empty email..

For me what is important, Setting of Anti Dither, Settings Quality, Settings Pre Record Event time, and getting a good notice that in worse case I can come back to my NVR or DVR and look at the footage off the Time Stamp of the notice.. Between Motion Email alerts and Push on Cell. Push is 100% faster and proved to be a much better way to get action. Fast almost instant and there is no server holding images outside my own network either my phone or my recording devices.. (Personally don't like Email servers having images of my Motion events for anyone with access to my email to look at)
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

FWIW, Support did roll back the firmware on a *camera* I sent back a few months ago. I had to pay shipping both ways though.
Ristin

Post by Ristin »

I tried your suggestions and now I am getting email alerts with pictures consistently. I went from email alerts with no pictures to email alerts from the cameras AND NVR with pictures, so two emails per event. lol

Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry I guess wasn't clear that on the camera only thing you need to do is Enable the Snap shot within the camera it self you didn't need to setup the Email address info in the camera with both setup yes you would get 2 alerts...

Again to be clear. When 4.0 came out I found that if Snapshot on cameras was not on then I wouldn't get any from the NVR.. After turning on the Snap shot NVR started working right sending pictures.. Then found oddly some cameras with old FW didn't need to be setup that way however today seems it needs to be in old and new for it to work on NVR so I make sure I setup the cameras to send snapshots.. I just don't give the camera my Email info and only the NVR gets that task...
Be Safe.