Put IP cameras on same network as router

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
swbrains

Put IP cameras on same network as router

Post by swbrains »

NVR Info: NV4108E-A2
Hardware Version: V1.0
Web Version: V3.2.7.83177
System Version: V4.000.00AC001.0, Build Date: 09-15-2021
System Baseline: V2.1
Soft Version: 10001

I have 6 cameras connected directly to the NVR and I'd like to access them directly (not through the NVR software or NVR web interface). But my network router uses 192.168.1.xxx and the NVR switch is assigning the connected cameras using 10.1.1.xxx.

I tried to change the NVR's switch to use the starting IP address 182.168.1.81 (since my router's DHCP pool starts at 192.168.1.100), but when I save the change the NVR tells me that that NVR device IP and switch IP cannot exist on the same segment.

Is my only option to use an external POE switch that is connected to my network and connect the cameras to it, then connect the NVR's LAN port to that switch so it can see the cameras, and that would allow the router to assign the cameras IPs in the 192.168.1.xxx segment?

Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Put IP cameras on same network as router

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes the Cameras would need to be taken off the POE ports of the NVR and added to the normal Network either by POE Switch or providing power to each of the cameras and connect the cables to a normal hub/switch or router..

However keep in mind that if you do there will be more things someone can try to gain access to over your network rather then just the 1 NVR connection.

With your cameras on your POE NVR it is like all the cameras are hidden behind a Firewall.

You can use ASP to access your System. However it would still be best to have Direct access either over WebUI of the NVR and accessing the camera VIA the NVR's Virtual Host or having the camera on your local network for local access..
Be Safe.
swbrains

Post by swbrains »

Thanks! I can set up my router to disable internet access to the cameras by MAC so that they can communicate locally on the LAN with the NVR, but not be reached from WAN sources, which should protect them from being compromised and still allow me to configure them directly via the LAN.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well that could work. Just keep in mind that if your cameras are 2019 and newer FW there might be an issue if you setup that way.

So I have not tried it since 2019 or 2020 when I found this out, I went to my cabin that had lost internet access do to some damage, I tried to access the cameras Micro SD for playback and was not able to. So I called Support number and was told that the Camera is a IP Camera and as such needs to have access to the Internet to playback. That was not what I wanted to hear because some of my other locations are remote and some have very little internet access. So I have since put the systems in most of my Remote locations on DVR's rather then having IP cameras.

So keep that in mind if you want to playback footage from Micro SD cards on the cameras.. There might be some other issues as well. I moved older FW cameras to some of my other locations that don't have issues with playback.

So I did some testing on my 841V3 where the other camera was a normal 841 I will have to find one with Micro SD card as I had some other issues this year on most of my Micro SD cards and because I have all cameras on NVR's I have removed the cards. So I will needs to do some testing on the older one because I turned off my 841v3 from having access to the internet and I was able to play it back without an issue. It has 7-2021 FW on it so the issue might have been fixed with others. However if all is going to be recorded to NVR that issue is Moot anyway..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I did test an 841 normal, and sure enough I was able to playback a few clips or a min or so of a few clips without an issue, Then I get this message in the Picture below.. This is Firmware from 2020..
Edit1
Also note that when I turn off Internet Access for the camera it takes forever for the Live View to load. Sometimes it don't.. Just now after posting this message ASP didn't want to load live view either. Yet WebUI did.. So keep in mind that with Internet access off some cameras might act strange. However should be ok in relation to recording on the NVR and live view however I have not really tested that seeing no issues with v3.
Edit2
I did connect this older 841 to my 4116E-HS NVR and while it does play back just fine. PTZ controls and having control of the camera isn't all that great with Internet off for the Camera.. To make sure that it was Internet Related. I turned it back on for the camera and there was no issues with Control after that.. So even a connection to NVR the system records just fine what it sees. However controls isn't all that great with no connection.
Screenshot (3225).jpg
Screenshot (3225).jpg (204.86 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Be Safe.