PC-NVR Error Message > Failed to allocate disk space

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
rjp1267

PC-NVR Error Message > Failed to allocate disk space

Post by rjp1267 »

I am setting up PC-NVR using the online user manual as my guide, and when trying to setup the drive to which recordings will be stored (external usb 3.0 500gb hard drive) I get an error message "failed to allocate disk space", can anyone advise what might be the problem and how to resolve.

Since the systems warns that all files on the disk will be deleted I can not use any internal drives which is why I chose to test the setup using an external drive. As an FYI I get the smae issue when trying to use a 64gb usb 3.1 jump drive as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Amcrest help desk is useless.

PC-NVR-V3.0
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: PC-NVR Error Message > Failed to allocate disk space

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

I am not sure about the all files will be deleted part.. I just removed the Drive space and setup again.. To be honest I have never read what it says and sure enough says that.. However if it Deleted all the files that was on the DRIVE to setup only xyz size space I would be very unhappy.. All my files were still on the Drive.. Please note that the PC-NVR will only setup on a portion of the HDD that has nothing on it.. It might pick a space that has parts that were deleted and still Ghost files and not removed but the area is open for new files and part of the un used drive size.. Like my 4tb drive, has 2.8tb of files on this PC-NVR I only use it to record my ASH21 so only give it 64gb of space that space is taken from the open drive space not the WHOLE drive and it don't delete any files that was still written in the drive...

I have not tried PC-NVR on a USB Drive might have speed issues and might be why your getting errors..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
rjp1267

Post by rjp1267 »

Any suggestions on what the best NVR software to use would be? I am toying with Agent and Blue Iris and ZoneMinder and each seems to have their own plusses/minuses.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

@rjp1267 - I've just been re-visiting PC-NVR recording myself but not to an external drive. That shouldn't make any difference though as Windows will have allocated a drive letter which it uses.

It's best to check how much free space is available before starting and I've only ever allocated less space than I know to be free on a drive.

PC-NVR creates a folder on the drive called "Media" and populates it with dummy files named 01, 02, 03 etc all 1MB (empty space) in size. WIndows File Explorer displays them and the number depends on the amount of space allocated.

'Fraid I don't have any suggestions as to alternative software :)
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
jack7

Post by jack7 »

@rjp1267
PC-NVR works OK for me when using a USB external 1TB drive.  You are probably trying to allocate more space than the free space that is shown for the drive on PC-NVR screen.
When re-allocating PC-NVR space, the new allocation will DELETE ALL THE PC-NVR FILES that were in the previously allocated PC-NVR space.  i beleve that's what the "delete all files" message means.
If you want to use another PC VMS, I suggest Blue Iris.  It may or may not have a bigger learning curve for you.  It has extensive options and supports most cameras.