Patch for my DVR

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
TitaniumCoder477

Patch for my DVR

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Greetings,

I have a DVR (AMDVTENL4-S5) that needs to be updated. The firmware is from Jan-2018 which has a high chance of including major security flaws that have been or should have been patched by now. Additionally, the DVR has been unusable for years due to reliance on ActiveX and all major browsers no longer supporting this technology.

So, my first question is: Where can I get the latest firmware update for this device?

And my next question is, assuming there has been no firmware release post the one I already have (see attachment), then has the source code been open-sourced yet so that I can examine it myself and provide a patch?

Of course, my third question would be, assuming the source code has not been open-sourced, why not and when will this done? It makes no sense nowadays to keep things like this closed-source. The industry has found out, time and again, that while closed-source might protect "intellectual property" it also protects poor security practices that result in catastrophic exploitation.

Thanks

James W
Attachments
IMG_20210407_140622_redacted.jpg
IMG_20210407_140622_redacted.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 807 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Patch for my DVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

I am guessing you have looked at the Firmware website for your Device?

Sadly if the last FW that your able to find by Cloud Update is from 2018 and there is nothing newer on the Firmware page then it might be that the one you have loaded is the last Known good FW that didn't have Security issues... Most DVR/NVR and cameras that have been getting updates and not on the Discontinued list are updated to at least 2019 and or 2020... Some units have had not changes after the 2019 if wasn't needed...
Looking at the list I can't even find a S5 I found a H5 with your first set of numbers? If it is a H5 then it would have a 2020 update.. Outside of that as I said above..

If in Network you have changed your DNS and network info with good info that lets the DVR contact the internet by clicking on the Check for new FW it can pull in a new FW upto the time just before the JS fw started and anything before 4 of 2019 is older FW anything after 8-2019 is JS..

you can find the FW page here again if your system is a H5 there is a FW update in 2020...
https://amcrest.com/firmwaredownloads
Be Safe.