P2P Vs. Port Forwarding on NVR

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
patric

P2P Vs. Port Forwarding on NVR

Post by patric »

For viewing an NVR from another city, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using peer-to-peer connections as opposed to forwarding ports?
I have experience port-forwarding with other systems but not so much P2P... thanks in advance!

Reference: NV4108E-HS
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: P2P Vs. Port Forwarding on NVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

P2P someone would need your SN and password to Hack your connection and there is no port open that someone could maybe gain access to your network

I used to port forward and used a VPN to access my network and I would access my cameras that way.. I have since removed my VPN and Forwarding ports as it also adds network lag or can depending on how much Traffic you have on your network..

Just make sure not to give anyone your SN or password to your NVR... If you happen to use a Network Cafe keep in mind that when you do access your camera over that Network it will give anyone that is trying to Snoop your SN however your password when it is Transmitted it goes over Encrypted so they would need to be watching you put in your Password or have a Key logger on your system to get both for access... So I do use P2P and when I travel I only use Data on my Cell service so I don't have to worry either way... Also use my Cell as a Hotspot for my Laptop so I don't have to give outside people more info then they should have...
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

Thanks, could you give me an example of setting up P2P if using a web browser?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

If your looking to use a Computer then you would want to Port Forward or you could use ASP.. However I wouldn't try and access loads of cameras at one time over ASP..

P2P to use with Amcrest I would stick with Amcrest View Pro app on your Android or iPhone.. There are 3rd party software however I don't promote the use of 3rd party software because you have to provide a Password to your camera that they would then have assess to so yeah I won't use them...

If your asking about how to setup P2P on your camera over its WebUI.. Then you would log into the Camera, go to the Setup, network, Tcp/IP and then at the top center area it will say P2P.. You will want to make sure that it is enabled in there.. On some devices it is Setup, Network and on the Menu to the left at the bottom in Network would be where P2P is... Then if you setup your camera or NVR or DVR to use IP. When you setup your camera to your phone, YOu will want to delete the device, add it again. Then time click connected camera if it is POE or WIFI if it is a Wifi camera, then because it is already connected click top right area where it says Connect to already connected device, Then P2P option, Then put in a name for camera or NVR/DVR and then user and password.. Press the View Live View and should be all set...
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:13 pm
If your asking about how to setup P2P on your camera over its WebUI.. Then you would log into the Camera, go to the Setup, network, Tcp/IP and then at the top center area it will say P2P.. You will want to make sure that it is enabled in there.. On some devices it is Setup, Network and on the Menu to the left at the bottom in Network would be where P2P is... Then if you setup your camera or NVR or DVR to use IP. When you setup your camera to your phone, YOu will want to delete the device, add it again. Then time click connected camera if it is POE or WIFI if it is a Wifi camera, then because it is already connected click top right area where it says Connect to already connected device, Then P2P option, Then put in a name for camera or NVR/DVR and then user and password.. Press the View Live View and should be all set...
I know you are trying to be helpful but Im not able to follow your English.
Im wanting to set up a NV4108E-HS NVR (not just one camera), and Im wanting to view on a PC (not a phone), if that helps.

What may complicate matters is AT&T doesnt do UPnP on their routers, and Im trying to avoid having to set up a second router if I really dont have to.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So yeah sorry I am not sure what you can Do...

I just want to Say that I took my NVR and connected it to ASP aka Amcrest Surveillance Pro on my Laptop I setup over my P2P that you can do from your WebUI if you don't have it already connected.. So in ASP when you go to setup your Device rather then entering the IP address you will want to Enter the SN and that is in the Drop Down box under enter name for your Device... You can get the SN off the Top of your NVR Enter the SN and then the user and Password

Then save or apply.. It will show that it is online

I then took my Laptop and connected it to my Verizon Hotspot to Test that it works.. I Took and turned on ASP, Went to Devices, Went to 4kNVR it was listed as Online, Went to Live View and then on the Right side I opened up my 4K Nvr listing and right clicked it and said Main.. It then loaded my 16ch in my view on a 4 camera per page I have 4 pages can change between.

Here is a PICTURE oF MY WebUI for my P2P on my NVR I covered the SN as I don't need loads of people trying to Hack my NVR lol... You can Right click the Image and pick bring up in new tab for a 1080 full screen view
Screenshot (2560).png
Screenshot (2560).png (58.88 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

FWIW I also put the port forwarding question to Amcrest Support.
Ive only gotten the automated reply.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah right now I am not sure how much Staff is at the office with the uptick of Covid in their area and over 1/2 million cases there.. Things are kind of on the slow right now I think for the most part.. I know that my Contact with Amcrest is only working 3 days a week right now.. That has to be hard as well. Normally only 2 days off now 4 days off can drive people crazy..
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

patric,
You can use PC Amcrest Surveillance Pro(ASP) or a browser Web UI to access a remote NVR. You don't need to use UPnP. Just use port forwarding and amcrestddns. It's discussed in the NVR manual.
You can also use PC ASP to access a remote NVR using P2P, as Revo mentioned. Amcrest P2P would typically be considered more secure than port forwarding, and easier to set up.
patric

Post by patric »

jack7 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:21 pm You can use PC Amcrest Surveillance Pro(ASP) or a browser Web UI to access a remote NVR. You don't need to use UPnP. Just use port forwarding and amcrestddns.
Yes, I am planning on using a browser (or two) to distance access the NVR. AT&T isnt making that easy, though, as I havent been able to get it to work.
jack7 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:21 pm You can also use PC ASP to access a remote NVR using P2P, as Revo mentioned. Amcrest P2P would typically be considered more secure than port forwarding, and easier to set up.
How would I be able to do P2P if I want to also add guests with limited access?