NVS4108E Snapshots no longer working

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
ITMike

NVS4108E Snapshots no longer working

Post by ITMike »

Have the NVS4108E-HS (firmware 3.215) with 4 amcrest 4K cameras attached. Was configured to take a snapshot every 60 seconds on each camera (in addition to saving the video). HDD is configured to overwrite on full. This was working perfect for about 9 months, then occasionally after the weekly reboot, snapshots would stop working; a reboot fixed it. Last time this happened, snapshots would not start again after several reboots. Went through the configuration on the NVR itself and ensured all settings are correct. Successfully upgraded the firmware to 4.000 and still no snapshots. Restored the config file from prior to upgrade, still no snapshots. Any thougts?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NVS4108E Snapshots no longer working

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So here is what I would do. Sorry it is kind of a PITA but I think this is the issue..

You should log into your NVR's WebUI, then click on the top left Management, Then click on Camera. Then in center of page scroll down to your connected listed cameras. Ones that are 10.1.1.xx are connected to the POE port of the NVR and these need to be logged in via NVR IP with Port # normally starting at 10800 but can't really access that way without clicking the e to the right of the camera. This will have you log into your Cameras WebUI, In the WebUI you will want to make sure that the camera either Old FW or New FW 2019 or newer have the option for Snapshots setup in the camera. If it isn't setup in the camera it will not let you take them from your NVR anymore. New and Old FW cameras will both need to be setup that way. Don't worry if your camera don't have a MSD card that is still an option that needs to be picked or no snap shots will be taken on the NVR..

Log into Camera WebUI, Then click on Settings, Then Storage, then click on Schedule, then Snapshot and make sure Motion and full time snap shots are setup, all day 24-7 and click save
Then click on Camera, Then Video, then Snapshot, then in there it will change from what your NVR will setup for if say you set in your camera 50000 when you go to your NVR it will tell you that it needs to be setup for 3600 for timed events or something between 1-3600s. So just leave the camera setting alone in truth. Just make sure Event is setup how you want it and I would set for say 3600 for timed or what ever you want anyway again NVR might not like it if over it's limit.

Then you should be good on getting snapshots again. You can log into all your cameras connected to the POE switch or not that way as I said above, If it is Network connected IP then it will just take you to a tab with that IP however as I said before if on the POE NVR then it will be on your NVR's IP with a Port number behind it..

Hope that helps
James
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
ITMike

Post by ITMike »

James, thanks so much for the detailed response. Still no luck... Went through the WebUI using Chrome, and followed the steps. Found that Camera - Storage - Schedule - Snapshot Schedule, I only saw yellow (Motion) and red (Alarm) bars; had to drill down deeper with the Setup in that screen to select General, Motion and Alarm to have the green (General) bar show up 24x7 (in addition to Motion and Alarm, neither of which I use). Made sure to Save and refresh every step. BTW I have snapshots set Snapshot Type: General, and Interval: 60 (e.g. 1 per minute). All cameras are at software version V2.622 (Build date 2019-10-24 for bullet cameras, 2020-05-12 for domes; don't see any later versions).

Back on the NVR, plugged in my USB drive, went to backups, and searched for snapshots e.g. "PIC" after letting the unit run for 10 minutes. Nope, nothing there. Tried search using both available File Formats, DAV and MP4, although the snapshots are JPG files, to no avail. Backup does find all my DAV video files.... Did a complete shutdown & power-cycle, left for 30 minutes, and alas, still no PIC files found to backup.

Lastly, took one camera and did a factory reset, removed from the config, unpluged, power cycled the NVR and re-added the camera back in, then setup. Again, still no snapshots found when searching for PIC in the backup menu on the NVR console.

Appreciate your thoroughness and any other ideas.
Cheers,
Mike
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting.

Please double check NVR that under Storage, Record that you have Snapshots also turned on there at the bottom on each of the cameras you want them taken from.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So for me I have some not all of my cameras setup for snapshots. This picture is from a camera that has 447 car motions today and 18 people events all taken snapshots for the events.
Screenshot (1486).png
Screenshot (1486).png (250.97 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Be Safe
ITMike

Post by ITMike »

Again James, thanks. Did verify that snapshots are enabled on the NVR under Storage - Record. Just to force it, disabled and saved, then enabled and saved, exited the screen and went back to it to verify. One thing I did find that on the NVR using the WebUI in Management: Camera - Encode - Snapshot screen, the mode is set to "Trigger", and I cannot save a change to "Timing"...e.g. I set it to Timing and save, leave the screen and come back and it's back to Trigger (refresh does the same thing). Thoughts?

Cheers & happy holidays,
Mike
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It is ok that is how it is. IT is only a Drop down box for you to make changes to the one you have it picked. So if you are on Trigger, it will let you make the changes in that mode. Timing that is when you would want to make changes for taking a Snapshot every so often. From an NVR you are only with options like 3600 where on the camera it self you can change on some of them to like 50000..

So for me I have it set so I can FTP images on some cameras every hour some every 4 and a few ever 24 just as a way to check connection.

So here is something to try.

Log in the NVR's WebUI, then look on playback, then drop down and choose PIC, then choose the camera, then hit the list and see if any come up that way.

I know on some of my NVR's with 4.0FW installed I can't view the PIC on the NVR only over WebUI of IE if I use Chrome no option for IE it has the option. I know I know IE is on the way out sad as it is that is my GOTO for my WebUI connections seeing they offer all the features where Chrome, edge don't have them all..
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

This is one of my cameras that I have on FTP one every minute lol. Don't know why really I guess I just have not changed it after my NVR changed to that option. I have since removed that from my NVR but never on my Camera. That is one thing also any changes on NVR is on Camera settings as well. So in the event that you have cards installed and have them setup for snapshot to go to the mSD card it can fill that up really fast as well. That is why I have them setup to go to my FTP server
Screenshot (1559).png
Screenshot (1559).png (143.83 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Be Safe