NVR P2P online but no remote access though pFsense router

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Ristin

NVR P2P online but no remote access though pFsense router

Post by Ristin »

I've been successfully using P2P with an Amcrest NVR, Amcrest View Pro for iOS, Cisco RV320 router and Starlink connection. I recently swapped out the Cisco router for a micro PC running pFsense. P2P shows to be online on the P2P setup page in the NVR but I can't access my NVR when I'm off my local LAN.
I recently purchased an Amcrest AD410 door bell camera which requires the Amcrest Smart home app. The doorbell cam & app are able to create a P2P connection that I can access remotely with the pFsense router.
My mom bought two $20 pan & tilt cameras off Facebook, these unnamed cameras are so cheap they didn't come with a setup guide or the name of the app to use. Through trial and error, I found an iOS app called Yi-IOT that could access and setup these cameras. That app was able to establish a P2P connection that I can access remotely through pFsense.

Any ideas why Amcrest View Pro is unable to establish a remote connection yet shows to be online?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NVR P2P online but no remote access though pFsense router

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well there is a couple of things...

First and worse case is that you're using a Cell Phone with Att Cell Service and if that is the case right now there is issues with App use while using P2P and because there is no one at Amcrest even with Att service can recreate this issue it is hard to troubleshoot and get to the solution for this issue.

Second, if not using ATT I would double check the App and make sure that it is setup correctly... At the top of the app on left side click on the 3 dots with 3 lines, Then click on Device manager, then click on the device, then Pencil. In there double check that it was setup using P2P it will say at the top and show a Serial Number and not an IP address if it shows an IP address. then you will want to Close out of that Setup by clicking the top left back button, then click device again, Then press the Trash Can..

To setup again, in the app click on either add device if on that page or click the + button at the top right. Then click Icon for type of device, *DVR/NVR* then click the P2P setup method. You can scan the code or enter it manually, If easy access to the NVR it should have QR code on the top. If not might be underside. However worse case log into the NVR's WebUI, got to main menu, network, then TCP/IP and P2P or in some it is just network and at the bottom of that area on the left P2P will be in the list. Click that and it will show as you said that it was online and 2 boxes with QR codes one for SN scan and other for App.. scan the SN code.. Or if you have the Number handy you can choose to enter manually..
Be Safe.
Ristin

Post by Ristin »

Thanks for the reply. I'm certain the problem is somewhere in the pFsense router.
My pFsense router and Cisco RV320 router have the same WAN & LAN settings so switching between the two is very easy.
With the Cisco router hooked up, I can remote access via P2P even on my AT&T network cell phone with Amcrest View Pro and Pro 2.
With the pFsense router hooked up, I cannot remote access my cameras via P2P from any remote device.
No matter which router is connected the NVR shows P2P as enabled and online. WIth the pFsense router connected, I can access the NVR/cameras via P2P when on the local LAN.

I'm running Tailscale on the pFsense router so if I connect the Tailscale app on my iPhone, I'm able to access the NVR via Amcrest View Pro. That works for me but adds complexity for my non-techy wife and daughter.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sounds like your new router is blocking the ability to punch a hole though the network. This normally uses a combo of ports, and IPv4 and IPv6 as a way to make such secure tunnel for P2P to work.

I would look for a Forum or someone that has more info about the new pFsense router to make a connection without such complexity for your family. Sorry not something I have heard of until now that I can remember anyway..

Outside of that Maybe looking at this link can help you with the issues you are having. I don't use your hardware. So it is hard to say what the solution will be.

I can just say that from what you are writing about the issue is your New Router and it is a common issue from pFsense enabled routers seeing from what little I read they built the design to make sure CCTV was secured behind the firewall rules by default.

https://pfstore.com.au/blogs/guides/bes ... th-pfsense
Be Safe.
Ristin

Post by Ristin »

Thanks for the link, that made for interesting reading. I've thought about creating a vlan for the cameras, less for security and more for the fun of trying something new.

I have an ongoing thread on the Netgate forums and no one there has been able to figure out the issue. Basically P2P should just work without any configuration. Adding to the confusion, I have the Amcrest Smart Home app for the AD410 doorbell camera and that app is able to create a P2P connection I can remotely access. I'm messing around with some $20 cameras my mom bought for her house and the app for those cameras can create working P2P remote access.

Last night I was browsing around pFsense looking for the page that would show what connections are being made and double checking that I didn't have some oddball firewall rule created. I didn't find anything nor did I make any changes to pFsesne settings. However, I tried remote accessing my NVR expecting to be disappointed again and was shocked to discover P2P is working. Tried again this morning and it's still working.

Thanks for the help and hopefully P2P will continue to work
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting, thank you for the update. Its strange it wasn't working, connection to old did and set up new again didn't. And now does. Just glad it's working now for you.
Be Safe.