NVR 4108E-HS no display no ethernet

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
JulienFAPO

NVR 4108E-HS no display no ethernet

Post by JulienFAPO »

Hi,
I'm trying to setup a NVR 4108E-HS (s/n AMR0136xxxxxxxxxxxx) including a 4Tb Seagate ST4000DM004 HDD that was purchased a couple of years ago and left on a shelf.

At first I connected the unit to a PC monitor with a VGA cable, the monitor shown a blank screen (it did not mention "no signal" but just a blank screen). Then following some searches I did on the forum and support docs I tried the following:
- Plugging the NVR to a TV with a VGA cable : same result as above
- Plugging the NVR to a TV with a HDMI cable : same result as above
- Plugging the NVR to a laptop monitor with a HDMI cable : same result as above
- Plugging the NVR to my local network with various ethernet cables (straight and crossed) and lookup for the device using Armcrest IP config tool : no IP was found, same as if I scan IPs by other means.

I noticed the ethernet port leds do not turn on nor blink when plugged in (same cable works for other devices).

I then tried a factory reset following the process from the support article (https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... HS-Models-).

Finally I reproduced all the steps above with no success, no changes.

I would appreciate some insights here as my hopes are fainting...

Thank you
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NVR 4108E-HS no display no ethernet

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

First your Text was changed to remove the most of your SN for Security Reasons...

Second, Sorry your having some issues with your unit. So are you saying that you have tried to install a HDD that was installed in a NVR that was working for the last few years? Or are you saying that you bought both the NVR and HDD and both sat for the last couple of years?>

So one thing and first thing I would do, Remove your HDD from the unit. You don't need to pulled it out just unplug both the Cables going to the HDD.. Then turn the UNIT back on and see if it comes to life..

Next thing and most like like could be the issue.. This NVR has a Special Power Unit that is 48v I am guessing at least that is what my NON HS has.. Sadly this unit should be different from a normal 12v unit and if the wrong power supply is used it could Damage the unit, So I would make sure that it has the Right power supply...

What is needed for things to work!?
Power, Monitor, and mouse for navigation within the GUI.. To Record Power, Monitor, Mouse, and HDD,, If there is power say from a Power supply that is not 100% in working order caused by age or abuse it can make things not work correctly. Removing the Power HDD is one of the ways to make sure that the unit can power on, Without the HDD installed the Unit don't Require as much current to make the NVR boot up. When adding a HDD it requires the power supply to deliver the needed current for the machine to work right.. So if maybe the unit is using a 48v Power supply from a different unit it might be that it just don't have enough current to make the unit work.

Case in point, I have a 8ch NVR from 2012 that is 4 POE and 4 non poe and this unit has 2 Power supplies, So if I by mistake took this 48v power supply and tried to run my 4108E I would be ok as long as I didn't have a HDD installed once I install a HDD the unit would fail because it don't have enough current to power both the NVR and the HDD... My 3108 is a Dual Power supply my 4108 is a single power supply unit and 8ch POE so needs more current..

So I would make sure that the Current Rating for the Power Supply is right and the Voltage is as well...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
JulienFAPO

Post by JulienFAPO »

Hey thank you for your quick reply!

The HDD was purchased with the NVR so it was pre-mounted.
The power supply was also part of the potential issues I've checked and it seems to be correct.
I've attached a picture of the power adapter and also a picture of the motherboard while the NVR is turned on and the HDD disconnected.
There is two leds (orange and red) constantly ON on the motherboard. Not sure what it's supposed to mean...
Note that when the HDD is connected, the NVR also turns on and I can hear the HDD starting up. Both leds are also ON when HDD is connected.
Is it possible that the unit was permanently damaged if a wrong power adapter was used? It might have happened in the past (I'm not the direct person which purchased the unit so not sure if something could have been messed up before).

Thanks,
Attachments
20210217_153532.jpg
20210217_153532.jpg (447.98 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
20210217_154023.jpg
20210217_154023.jpg (293.02 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I will go take mine out of my Security Closet as I don't remember what happens when there is no HDD connected. Is that an HS or a normal 4108E? mine has the same Power Supply this I remember because my 3108 has a 1.5 and my 4108E has a 2amp one and while it wouldn't hurt to have more power just not working right if not enough power.. Also it would be hard for them to attach a wrong power adaptor on it or I think it would be as it has a different type of connection if memory serves me right...
Be Safe
JulienFAPO

Post by JulienFAPO »

Yes it is a 4108E-HS.
Thanks for letting me know your findings.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok, So looking at your machine picture again. There is one thing I will say your system will not work in the state it is in..

You need to plug the Front back in,
The USB on front isn't a System killer but the Front panel is if there is no power going to that front area the system will not work... So with no power on it, Plug the one that goes to the main board on the front testing a Bad USB is another step but seeing it is unplugged then just keep it that way for now.. Because one of the things that happens on older machines or can happen that Front USB can get damaged and make the machine stop..

Looking at yours and mine yours is different then mine for sure. My 2116-HS has a bottom frame like that where it could hang on a wall my 4108 don't have that frame.. Also my 4108E has a Ribbon from the front to the MB where yours is a Wire set... So leaving the power from the hDD plug in the front and turn back on with HDMI cable in the system unless you don't have then connect with D-Sub

About Damage it could have been from past sadly wouldn't know without touching it, testing with a Known good 48v PSU..
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Humm oddly I have 2 lights when powered on. While my front is different then yours so while I said it wouldn't work without the Wires plugged in that might not be the case for yours but min will not work without my Ribbon cable being plugged in...

While this unit was also bought with a 4tb installed, it was bought early 2017 even though the power supply is from 2015 lol. However it might have been a Rebuild but when I bought it I was able to see the Building teams Logs on the system build and there was nothing before 12-16 so maybe it was just year of Power supply and nothing to do with age of the machine as they could have just had a huge supply of supplies and who knows lol..

So when you plug in the system does it Beep after about 20 to 45 seconds? or just does nothing?

Power supply
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG (515.78 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Picture without Drive installed
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG (760.76 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Powered on
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG (550.86 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Be Safe
JulienFAPO

Post by JulienFAPO »

Hello,
I tried again to start the NVR, this time with the wire set connected from the MB to the front panel and front USB.
Halas, no changes, all I can see are the 2 leds and the fan blowing.
Tried also with and without a USB peripherial connected at front.
Also tried again with VGA and HDMI cables to a TV monitor with no success.

When the NVR starts I can't hear anything but the fan.
I never heard a beep sound like when a PC boots, the HDD being connected or not.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes sadly that isn't sounding good. Sadly the unit should Beep when the unit is loaded. Also when the unit has the HDD removed unless the person had turned it off but from factory is setup to Beep when the HDD is removed. So no Beeps sounds like some thing is no good with it.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So while this might not matter but better in my book to try something rather then doing nothing..

With the unit already plugged in, Press the Reset button and hold it for 15 seconds, while holding the button, Unplug the NVR and hold it for 15 seconds while still holding the button put power back to the NVR and hold it for around another 30 to 60 seconds and see if within all that if the Machine did a Reset the system should beep to let you know it has started a Reset..

That is what I would do before calling this dead..
You in the USA?
Be Safe