NV5208E NVR periodic alerts once it starts writing to Drive#2

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
abenak

NV5208E NVR periodic alerts once it starts writing to Drive#2

Post by abenak »

Hello,
I have the Amcrest NV5208E with two IP cams. The NVR has 2x 4TB WD Purples in the simple Drive 1, Drive 2 both R/W config.

Everywhere to be found, the NVR is configured to *not* alert (eg "buzzer"). I can confirm enabling the buzzer on motion detect works as intended, but again, I have it unselected everywhere in the Alarm submenus.

When it is recording to Drive 1, this beeping does not occur. Once Drive 1 runs out of space and the NVR starts writing to Drive 2, the beeping starts occurring.

The beeping is like a periodic burst of beeps. Every other minute it'll start beeping in a burst, and this "burst" contains sporadic timings... like the beeps aren't equally spaced from one another.

If it wasn't for the beeping, the Operation state would be 100% normal. Motion alerts are capture and notified via email, video is recorded and can be played back.. etc etc, but with beeps.

This is the second time this has happened since buying the NVR. The first time, I disconnected the cameras and formatted both disks, and started from scratch. Even then, writing to Disk 1 = no beeps. Once it turned over to Disk 2 = beeps. I contacted Amcrest at this point and never heard back.

I can provide screenshots of any config that would be of help. Most of my config is done through browser, though I've confirmed the settings in Amcrest Pro as well.

thanks in advance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NV5208E NVR periodic alerts once it starts writing to Drive#2

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So I am not sure what VERSION of FW you have but I am going to give you some info about the NEWER FW and hope to get you in the right area...

My guess is that your system might be setup with a HDD running out of space alarm. For the life of me right now I can't find that area however I wanted to point you to an area that might help you understand better what the issue is. While I know you said you work on WebUI most of the time please do this on the NVR it self..

Right click anywhere and Pick Main Menu, (Log in if you need too) then Alarm, Then Alarm Status. On this page it will show Alarm Type and Status, Right now mine went from blank Screen to Motion Detection on 2,3,15 and next line Audio Detect on 7.. While you could go to Alarm Info and in that are you would be able to view any of the footage that the alarm is triggering but we are looking for HDD and that is why we want this Status Page.

It also might be a good idea to use the HDD Detection and check that both HDD area in good standing.. IF you are using older HDD they might be starting to fail. Please note I don't know your setup and these are only ideas off top of my head and just something to look at.. While it could be a Pain but if there is no setting for HDD overage or error marked the next thing and this is only what I would do.. I would shut down the system and open it up and swap the HDD data cables making HDD 2 now 1 and see if the issue stays the same with the HDD Swapped around.. I know not everyone want to take the system apart.. I guess lucky for me I only have 9 of my 16ch POE ports populated and use number scheme to remember what cable goes to what channel..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also thinking about it, Maybe run a Balance system and have your cameras record to different HDD.. Maybe it is setup that you don't over write and it goes into a stop state for some cameras and that is why there is an alarm?

For me anyway. I would setup on my 16ch system, Going to Main menu, Storage, Advanced and setup CH 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 12 to record to HDD 1 all the others would be recording to HDD 2.. I would also change all channels on the Snapshot Tab to record to HDD 2 also because that is the one that is working with all the Motion Channels and the HDD1 is running IVS and Full time recording and would rather have the HDD2 with pictures seeing it is working less the HDD1 in my setup anyway.. Also in Storage Basic I would make sure the First option is setup for Overwrite..
Be Safe.
abenak

Post by abenak »

Hey, thanks for the responses.

FW is up to date, version V4.000.00AC000.0, Build Date: 2020-05-21. Typically I upgrade to latest when I buy a piece of hardware, and I understand this to be the latest.

So, I did go to the NVR itself and navigated to the Abnormality sub-menu. For each of the HDD options in the select drop-down, "buzzer" was the only one not selected. For one, the "send email" works (motion detection sends me emails), yet I'm not getting HDD-related emails. For two, it was beeping while I was standing there and I just outright disabled each HDD option and the beeping continued. I suppose I could go through all of the options and start disabling them all; however, "send email" is selected and, like I mentioned, motion detection proves smtp is correctly configured so I don't believe other Alarm events are being published.

HDD health - the NVR claims the drives are both "Normal". These drives were bought on Amazon in conjunction with the NVR, though these drives weren't sold by Amazon so that's a little suspect. This was back in early April. But none of the unpackaging raised flags, and I've definitely had flags raised before on equipment bought online. Also to note, aside from the beeping, operation is totally normal.

I think shutting down the system and swapping cables is a solid logical next step.
abenak

Post by abenak »

Also, the Storage Basic options are set to "Overwrite" when full, Pack 60Min and Delete files never.
abenak

Post by abenak »

So I set Channel 1 to record to Disk 1 and Channel 2 to record to Disk 2, since I had time to try that out but haven't had time to open the box and switch physical connections.

No beepings since, and it's been over an hour. And I've confirmed Disk 2's space is widdling down over time. And I can playback. This seems weird to me.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well I couldn't find it on the NVR so I will have you look at the settings on the WebUI for the NVR...

Personally I would Log in IE if you can that is where I log into the WebUI even on my 4.0 FW and prefer IE WebUI over Chrome/Edge... You can do it from Chrome as well. I just logged in Chrome to double check that option isn't missing from Chrome like other things are Picture below is from Chrome WebUI log in...

On mine anyway it is on the Bottom Left side of the main menu area is Alarm, Then click on Abnormality, then first part is HDD, check to see what of the 3 options has the Buzzer setup on?

No HDD
HDD Error
HDD No Space

Check each of the options and then click on the More for each and see if Buzzer is turned on in that area?

I just did a Factory Reset on my NVR and looked at mine and all of them are setup Enable with Log and Buzzer Checked... So I changed No Space to reflect 20% and added that to mine so now all 3 of them are all setup to Buzz and log
Buzzer.png
Buzzer.png (50.27 KiB) Viewed 5584 times
Be Safe.
abenak

Post by abenak »

Yeah. buzzer is not selected in all HDD options. But here's two I saved a ss of.
Screenshot 2021-06-02 200506.png
Screenshot 2021-06-02 200506.png (27.61 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
Screenshot 2021-06-02 200543.png
Screenshot 2021-06-02 200543.png (25.84 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
abenak

Post by abenak »

Interestingly enough, I switched the HDD groups back to just Group 1 and all streams to record to Group 1 and I haven't heard any beeps at all since then.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Interesting...

So last thing that I can think of not sure it has anything to do with it..

However I would double check that on the Alarm Input area under IPC EXT and IPC Offline and also under each channel that they are not Buzzer enabled.. Most important of the 2 is the Offline.. Seeing if the switch from HDD from one to the other makes the IPC not have a Recorded HDD it will take it as being offline even though it really isn't offline the Recorder will see it as such and might set off the Buzzer if it is active..

Also please note, While working on the test your working with as you said 2 cameras it might be nothing to do with just those 2 it could be any of your 8 if they are all setup for Recording.. In general this shouldn't matter from a Fresh install/setup. However if the system was working at a time and more channels are or were online and now only working with a few the other channels could still be making the buzzer go off after a switch to the second HDD if they were not setup to do such.. Or some other issue with in the setup...

Edit: Also some of the issues I talk about might only be an issue in my DVR's like my AI 7108 Amcrest DVR however I setup both my NVR and DVRs the same by default just as habit.. So if there was never a channel connected to ch say 6 7 or 8 on the nvr they shouldn't matter in the setup as the option shouldn't be present. Just in case it is again I change all setup from ch1 copy to all other channels and apply then go and make changes to the ones I setup for different settings 1 at a time and on a per case basis..
Be Safe.