NV4180E-HS and IP5M-T1179E (or any IP camera with SDcard)

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jakthree

NV4180E-HS and IP5M-T1179E (or any IP camera with SDcard)

Post by jakthree »

Hi,
I have a NV4108E-HS NVR. It has 8 PoE ports.
I have a IP5M-T1179E-28mm camera. It has a SDcard slot.

If I setup the camera as a standalone device then putting a SDcard in the camera for recording makes sense.
If I plug the camera into the back of the NVR then the NVR is doing the recording.

When the camera is plugged into the NVR and the NVR is doing the recording, then what is the SDcard used for?
Is it a waste of money to put a SDcard into a camera if the NVR will be doing the recording?

Thank you,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NV4180E-HS and IP5M-T1179E (or any IP camera with SDcard)

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly it is really up to the End user and the type of area they are in... I can tell you that in some areas people are known to carry tools that can or do disable camera systems... So you have to look at your Install, look at your area, look at why you are recording.. For just having it or because you Fear you may Really Need it? If your in an Area that you really need it then for sure use it.. However there is kind of a 2 edge sword here...

One, POE NVR, ON POE port there is no other Power source so if someone could see your Wire and they Cut it then well it would not matter really if you had a MSD card or not.. No Power No Record... However in same issue but different issue... Say someone finds your recorder and takes it.. now you have no footage if your camera didn't have the event going and being Recorded before the system was removed... Another issue.. Not all people have changed the DVR/NVR from Full Stop to Overwrite when full.. So lets say that you setup your camera to record on Events, then you left for what you thought was only 3 days to go pickup someone that was little over a day drive there and little more then a day drive back, However you get there and the Rig you are driving has something damage the Cooling system and need new Radiator. Only 1 shop in town and they can't get one for 3 days because it is a Friday. So when you left you knew you had 4 days of recording and only going to be gone 3 so no big deal you will be home in time.. however now with Delay your Recording stopped days before your Return. You get home and you find your Front door open.. First thought is lets go see the Recording find out what happened While the system was still there because you hid it well there is no footage and you seen someone in your Driveway just before the system stopped recording. However they had pulled in no front plate so no idea over make of car/truck/van but nothing about the person... No Recording on NVR however if you had your system setup for backup motion or some other setting in your camera on MSD in Most of the Common cameras then you Now have the Person, you have a Camera that is pointed at the Front door to a FOV that with MSD you got Perfect Picture of the person (Without backup MSD there is NO way to know who)
Be Safe.
spleen911

Re: NV4180E-HS and IP5M-T1179E (or any IP camera with SDcard)

Post by spleen911 »

I don't think it is a waste. I have SDs in all my cameras because if someone gets inside, they could find/take the NVR, but the chances of them taking every single camera is slim. For $9/camera I have a 2nd copy of most recent activity and peace of mind.
Four NV4108E-HS and a mix of 24 cameras (IP4M-1028, IP4M-1051, and IP3M-HX2)