NV4116E-HS Latency Issues

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
QuestionNVRAmcrest

NV4116E-HS Latency Issues

Post by QuestionNVRAmcrest »

Good afternoon,

I've been trying to solve a problem and am having difficulty getting an answer. To give some background, I have a NV4116E-HS NVR that has 8 cameras attached. Six of them are 4k PoE cameras and the two other are regular ones. The system works fine.

At first, I had most cameras hooked directly to the NVR. However, I moved the NVR and bought an old Cisco PoE switch to connect the cameras to. This worked fine.

The issues occurs when I connected the NVR directly to another switch. Switch in question is a Netgear smart managed switch. Almost instantaneously the latency jumps and the cameras get a few seconds behind from actual time. Just to test my theory out that it's the Netgear switch, I plug in a switch of another brand and it works fine. (It is unmanaged if that matters). I'd order another switch but right now want to explore the possibility of making the Netgear one I have work.

When I log into the cameras individually and view the live stream, there is no latency whatsoever which adds to the mystery of this.

So my questions are:
1. Is there some sort of incompatibility with Netgear switches and Amcrest devices?
2. What settings should I be looking at on the Netgear switch? It's a managed switch but I have it set to essentially work as an unmanaged one. No advanced features enabled.
3. Is it not a Netgear issue but the fact that it's a managed switch?
4. Some setting I should check on the NVR?

Thank you in advance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NV4116E-HS Latency Issues

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So for the first issue there could be an issue with your Switches Port on the one in Question..

Second is there a reason you don't just use the Cicso Switch? I mean why another switch? I do have 3 myself and 4 routers in my setup but I am not normal lol.. My Cisco switches are POE and another is a Giga lan both 24 ports.. I have a HP POE+ also 24 port.. I ask about the multi switches because mine are 12 ports POE and the last 12 ports or just normal same with my HP however they both do have Giga Lan ports that are on the end so in truth they are 26 and 28 ports respectfully.

Anyway on most Switches that are Managed you can log into the Switch and look over the connection and see if there is a Cable issue or port issue at times some of them might even have the ability to test the cable and tell you where the fault is in a cable..

However there can be an issue within the Issued switch by it may have been setup if you bought used as a VPN or port is mirrored or some other type of setting that you can do inside a Managed switch...

Sadly there are a lot of different things that it could be and would be hard to know over a Forum of what you have going on.. I would first of all try Pressing the Reset on the Netgear and Reset it back to factory...
Be Safe.
QuestionNVRAmcrest

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have tried other ports on the Netgear switch and the problem follows the NVR. When I plug another device into the port the NVR was on it works fine. The Cisco switch is on the opposite end of the house, which is one of the reasons I installed it to make my NVR more conveniently located.

As for the Netgear settings, I have logged into the device and tried to make it as "unmanaged" as possible. It shows activity on the port the NVR is on and does not point to any issues. I have reset before too to factory settings to no avail. As well as power cycling both the switch and the NVR.

One other note I can mention is that the latency is more obvious during the day (my guess is the video stream is much larger when it's light outside) verses at night.

I'm baffled to what this could be, but I could always get another switch. (Good excuse to upgrade equipment!)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well one last thing I could think of and while some people might get little upset but sadly it does kind of matter... Why it matters there is loads of reasons one could put in Theory.. However that is Cable issue.. So while some cables are stated as Cat6 or Cat5e and are UL blah blah blah but truth be told there are a lot of people out there selling bad cables.. I know you said it works for xyz but not the NVR.. While this is something that it very well could be the case.. Main issue is not all systems run on same Tech and or speed... So if there is a bad cable either kink or type even one device may not even use that pin one might not use that speed there are many different things that could be.. Reason is that you said when the system was connected before the other switch it was working fine.. So there should not be anything that would cause the switch to fail..

However there is 1 thing I guess it might be as well... What does your Connection between the 2 switch state it is? 10 or 100 or 1000? Is it MID or MIDX? looking at the port data for the used port it is showing any errors or maybe any request for timeouts? Can you take a screen shot of your Port data? and post here?

This is picture of my HP going to my Cisco giga lan
Screenshot (2641).png
Screenshot (2641).png (23.43 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Be Safe.
QuestionNVRAmcrest

I know the Ethernet cables are good because they were professionally made....by me!

All jokes aside, I have tried different cables and it still didn't help. I eventually decided it is likely on the Netgear switch side so I upgraded the switch. Not complaining since I can retire this one (Almost 4 years old) and get one with more ports. The issue went away immediate when switches were swapped.

Thanks Revo2Maxx with your assistance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome to hear you have things working better now..
Be Safe.