NV4108E cameras show status offline

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
werewolf1479

NV4108E cameras show status offline

Post by werewolf1479 »

I've already contacted customer support, but I figured I would post here while I wait.

I just bought a nv4108e-hs and set it up a few days ago with two IP8M-2493E's. Everything went smoothly. Speeds are great: I set them up to do 4K, 15fps, with 6912 bitrate (basically maxed out) and they were chugging along perfectly.

Then I woke up this morning, and one of my cameras was showing no video, while the other was working fine. I tried to unplug the not-working one and plug it back in, no dice, still showing status offline (little red x in the NVR device screen status column). So I tried to reboot the NVR completely. When it came back online, both of the cameras were suddenly offline. I switched PoE ports and it shows the cameras moved to the other ports but the status still has the red x.

The problem has to be the NVR PoE "switch" (more of a router it seems), since the cameras went offline separately and the 2nd one only when I rebooted. My network cable wiring is not to blame, I certified each run before I installed the cameras, they are out of any weather, and the runs don't come close to approaching the max distances for cat6a cable (I used to run cable in a steel mill, I have the tools and know how to build, secure, and certify a run in harsh conditions, my house hardly classifies as harsh).

I'm hoping somebody here has a clue what might be going on. If not, I'm returning this POS since I'm still within the 30 day window and used Paypal for the buyer protection.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: NV4108E cameras show status offline

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Sorry you are having some issues with your system...

SO the issues you talk about while you did provide a deal of information there is some things that to some might be missing.

Talking about the cabling not being the issue as you haven't maxed the run? What cable are you using? How did the Ends get installed? What type of ends? How where they Terminated? How is the cable run? Are there any sharp bends? Did you use Staples or did you use Bridle rings or Panduit Clips or grip clips? Are there any hard or Sharp bends? Did the cables kink when pulled from NVR location to the camera areas? Did the cables get tested with a Network Cable tester? Not just a Fox and hound aka tone generator but a Network cable tester as it can tell you if there is any issues in the cables.

One way to test cameras on systems like this as I have some cables that was manufactured that while it does display video there is something wrong with it because it don't let me run commands over the cable as my cameras allow. I take camera work on a Known good cable and it works as expected. Sadly it was not something that was known before because the camera installed before used RS-485. Then even have some Manufactured Cables that are 100ft that power loss over distance or bad connections however NEW cable that when you connect power to it won't power camera. Put in another cable and power works fine.

SO best way to make sure things are really not working as expected is to test with a different cable, Move a camera not working well or at all to a cable that the camera does work.

If the cables were installed and ends added make sure there is no bad ends because not all crimpers or even ends are perfect and can have bad connections or bad wires within the Jacket of the cable as well. Could be after install wire was pulled and broke a wire inside that don't look damaged but can be.
Be Safe.
werewolf1479

Post by werewolf1479 »

Shielded solid Cat6a, strapped PVC conduit (that I had installed while my roof was torn off 3 weeks ago) with wide turns being safe not to build up static during the pull, high end keystones to a panel and pre-tested patch cables, and a Fluke network tester. As I said, I've done this before, professionally.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

POE ports can fail, even new. Hopefully you ordered it from amazon and can return it free and order another one. Or order a NV4108-HS and a POE switch.
werewolf1479

Post by werewolf1479 »

jack7 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:00 pm POE ports can fail, even new. Hopefully you ordered it from amazon and can return it free and order another one. Or order a NV4108-HS and a POE switch.
Yeah, that is what I think happened. A controller failure or however the PoE power is routed to the ports. Unfortunately I ordered it directly from Amcrest as they had it $40 cheaper than Amazon at the time, but I used Paypal, so if they give me a hard time I'm not above getting the buyer protection involved. I do think I will just get the NV4108-HS and a PoE switch, cause I liked the NVR till it failed on me. I have a buddy at work who has a spare PoE switch he is bringing me tomorrow so I can at least set up cloud and live view in the mean time.
werewolf1479

Post by werewolf1479 »

So set everything up with the PoE switch and everything started working immediately. Did a factory reset on the NVR and re setup the cams and recording and playback are all working well. Since the cams are now on my main subnet I tried to set up the amcrest cloud but I can't seem to get it to stream the low res extra stream (since it doesn't have an option to stream the 4K high bitrate main stream). Not worth making a new thread about it, but if anybody reads this and has an idea I'm all ears.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

Have you done any speed tests to find out what sort of upload speeds you're getting?
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
werewolf1479

Post by werewolf1479 »

longedge wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:22 am Have you done any speed tests to find out what sort of upload speeds you're getting?
Did you mean to post this here? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything I've said in this thread.

Observation: you are the second pink colored name person to respond to my post. The first pink guy I guess didn't believe me about my cable making experience (maybe I should have included a CV and references?) and now this question that has nothing to do with anything I said. What does having a pink name mean anyways?

Just to answer your question though, I have google fiber, I speed test regularly and never get below 800 Mbps up and average around 900.
longedge
Site Admin

Post by longedge »

I'm sorry if I have inadvertently upset you but by way of explanation - you asked about streaming 4K video. Since you say you have better than 800 Mbps upload speed then bandwidth clearly isn't a worry to you.

Where I am, with around 40 Mbps download and 6 to 10 Mbps upload it's thought to be good but not good enough for streaming even HD video.
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03
werewolf1479

Post by werewolf1479 »

You didn't upset me, but you also didn't read what I had asked. Each camera delivers two streams, a main and an extra. The extra is 640x480 and I asked if there was a way to tell amcrest cloud to stream that instead of the main stream. I guess I assumed that it was common knowledge that whatever you choose the cloud stream to be resolution-wise that the camera would also record to the NVR at that resolution (https://amcrest.com/forum/ip-cameras-f1 ... t3335.html). Amcrest cloud doesn't have a 4K streaming option, so unless I want to record locally at the Amcrest Cloud maximum (4 MPixels) I'm SOL, unless I can just stream the 640x480 already there, which is enough for live view for me.