No Ethernet Communication for Setup?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Mike1590

No Ethernet Communication for Setup?

Post by Mike1590 »

:?: Hi all,

I bought a house a few years ago with an Amcrest system setup already and just got around to trying to configure everything. There are 4 exterior cameras outside of the house. However, I cannot establish an Ethernet connection to the DVR, which as I understand is needed to connect the device to my Amcrest phone app (and enable WiFi).

I have factory reset the DVR, but still cannot establish Ethernet connection. Additionally, I cannot connect the DVR to a monitor using HDMI. The DVR isn’t being recognized I suppose, as the HDMI input isn’t registering any output on the other end. For what it’s worth, the circle battery (CR2032) seems to be completely shot, but I’m not sure what its purpose is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to attach an image in my OP. The DVR says H.264 Digital Video Recorder on the front. Model is AMDV960G4.
Attachments
IMG_1973.jpeg
IMG_1973.jpeg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 265 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: No Ethernet Communication for Setup?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

So one of a couple things going on. 1 It was left behind because it don't work. Thought maybe leaving the DVR might help the new owner with replacement to find same type. Everyone hopes this isn't the case. The second thing is that the Monitor it was being setup to isn't setup for Auto Adjustment of Resolution and the DVR is trying to connect at a format that is lower then your TV want to go? It is really hard to say.

Here are things I would try. Seeing you didn't show a picture tipped enough I am going to assume this like may others have a D-Sub connection, Connect that to a normal Monitor and see if you can get it to Display. Next seeing that you said you Reset it machine back to Factory, it is likely that the DVR is setup in Static IP range that is different then your normal networks IP Range. So you could Download and install Amcrest IP Tools. With in that tool if it is found at a different range you can setup it up with a IP to your current range.

There should be d-Sub and HDMI for video output. If it is still working then it should be able to work with one of the 2 outputs and setup. Once setup then you should be able to use the APP over P2P it won't work P2P until after the system is setup..
Be Safe.
Mike1590

Post by Mike1590 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:58 pm Hello and Welcome to the Forum..

So one of a couple things going on. 1 It was left behind because it don't work. Thought maybe leaving the DVR might help the new owner with replacement to find same type. Everyone hopes this isn't the case. The second thing is that the Monitor it was being setup to isn't setup for Auto Adjustment of Resolution and the DVR is trying to connect at a format that is lower then your TV want to go? It is really hard to say.

Here are things I would try. Seeing you didn't show a picture tipped enough I am going to assume this like may others have a D-Sub connection, Connect that to a normal Monitor and see if you can get it to Display. Next seeing that you said you Reset it machine back to Factory, it is likely that the DVR is setup in Static IP range that is different then your normal networks IP Range. So you could Download and install Amcrest IP Tools. With in that tool if it is found at a different range you can setup it up with a IP to your current range.

There should be d-Sub and HDMI for video output. If it is still working then it should be able to work with one of the 2 outputs and setup. Once setup then you should be able to use the APP over P2P it won't work P2P until after the system is setup..
Thanks Revo! Photo of back attached.

Is the VGA port the same as the D-Sub you referred to?

What does that button battery (CR2032) do?

To use the Amcrest IP tool I have to have the DVR accessible on my network for it to be detected, right?

Is there a way to check the operational status of the individual cameras without the DVR? I don’t mind having to replace the DVR, but will be more hesitant if I can’t verify the camera feeds.

Thanks for your guidance so far!
Attachments
IMG_1974.jpeg
IMG_1974.jpeg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 252 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes the D-Sub is the VGA port.. So that DVR is a 960H DVR, I have one here at my home as well. So yes if you connect the Lan port to your network Router or a HUB/SWITCH that is connected to your router then you should be able to use your computer Laptop or Desktop with the IP tools to find that DVR. Lets say you are using 192.168.22.x as your normal network IP address. When you use the tool it most likely will find the DVR on a IP address of 192.168.1.108 or 0.108 either way the IP tool can then make a change so the IP address of your DVR is on the right network range so you can use the WebUI. However in most cases, You will not be able to do much until the DVR is setup. This means normally connecting it to a Computer monitor or TV/Monitor via a cable of the right type, and doing the first part of the setup.

Depending on the type of 960H machine that it is. Seeing there were a few different ones offered that DVR has the ability to also work with Ip cameras of 1080P format from Amcrest like the 841 type.. So it is a older nice hardware offered by Amcrest.

That battery you are asking about is only for Clock.. All other data is stored on the SOIC and ROM of the DVR.. If the battery is dead the system clock will not keep time of power is removed.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also keep in mind that you might want to think about updating your DVR. Using a newer model of the Amcrest, Like the 5m8-AI, that is a 5mp 8ch DVR. Or if you wanted the ability to upgrade to some of the even newer higher MP cameras then the 5108-AI or 7108-AI DVRs will give you some great options for future upgrade. If you don't want any of the extra special features that will help keep false alerts down, Then there is also the 8M8-H5 or 8M16-H5 DVR's not that you need 16ch unless you have a large area and want to have all areas covered. With the DVR you have there, All things at night when the IR of the cameras come on will cause your recorder to see motion all night. Some just Full record because of that. With an AI DVR you would be able to search for People or Vehicle alerts within the recorded footage and using IVS a light traffic area could have 0 alerts unless there was real event of Human or Vehicle.. So there are options. Just wanted point out the 960H machine won't have much relief at night if cameras are outdoors.
Be Safe.
Mike1590

Post by Mike1590 »

Awesome. Thanks for all of the insight. I will probably upgrade the DVR. In the meantime, there’s no way to check on the status of the individual cameras without a DVR platform, correct?

Thanks again!
Mike1590

Post by Mike1590 »

I’m also thinking the existing cameras are 800 TVL resolution. Will these work with any newer DVRs or would the cameras need to be upgraded, as well? Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Any camera that was working with the Amcrest current DVR should work with the newer DVR.. So I am honest and clear, I will admit that I do have a new 5mp camera from Amcrest that don't work with my 7108-AI DVR but does work on my older 8M16-H5 DVR.. While I say it don't work, I should state that it don't work as intended because I can get the camera to work on any of the other formats other than CVI and seeing Audio for that camera only works in CVI that is why i say it don't work.

Yet all my older 960H cameras have no issue working with any of the newer DVRs that I own..

Main down side to older cameras is that you are stuck with them working in only IR mode at night if they are Color and B/W cameras. where newer tech and or other tech that I own I have the ability over OSD to change the cameras to work color at night. My older cameras don't have OSD to make this change.. So at some point you may want to also upgrade cameras. Can do this 1 at a time or a few at a time.. Or you may find that the updated DVR with a 4 pack camera would best suit your needs as they do have a package deal as well.. That package deal has a 2tb HDD, DVR and 4 cameras and you can find that here..

https://amcrest.com/catalog/product/vie ... egory/160/

I would try another HDMI cable or the D-Sub to see if you can get the one you have already setup and working.. Here is another idea? While this does work on my newer dvR/NVR I don't know that it does on my 960H machine at this point, Will have to go test it back in the shed where it is installed at this time. However. Something to try is take a USB Thumb Drive and plug into the DVRs USB port on the back. Reboot the DVR or plug in the dvr. Give it a few minutes or an hour. Remove power and again plug back in to power. Wait another 10 min or an hour. Then remove the Thumb drive and see if there is any data that the DVR is sending to the Drive. Here is one line from the output of my 4216E-AI NVR.. Talking about the Video

<6>[ 1.703416] Linux video capture interface: v2.00

Also don't be alarmed with any errors in the output. There might be things that are not enabled and may error in the Data dump however if there is a Video Error that might be a different story.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also thought I should ask, How did you do a System Reset? I ask because on mine anyway just pressing the button and hearing the clicking and then the beep is not doing a factory reset. Then just so I am clear when the system resets it goes to a very strange lower resolution setup. most monitors should be able to run it.

I did a Factory Reset of mine and oddly doing both one from Software, and then one from the Button gave results that are strange and different. You see I have mine setup for Digital. Mine I have had setup at 1 time for 4 + 4, however I changed it to purely 8 digital after each reset the system stays on 8ch digital and I find that strange to be honest. Anyway here is the display after doing a Button Reset and what the display comes up as. This is from the DVRs GUI.. I only coved my qr code and my SN. I don't run this DVR with a password turned on. So don't need any one playing in my DVR lol...
Screenshot (1516).png
Screenshot (1516).png (136.6 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Oh yeah, Sorry i have not looked at this device for a while, I have it in a Shed that is connected to some Ip cameras that I normally just use a different recorder. This is just mainly for a Backup feed if something happens to my other recorders. So I also forgot a few things about this DVR... The normal AVP don't work with the DVR. You have to use Amcrest Link app. Because the device is older and no longer supported for Firmware updates the app isn't updated either. So if you don't have an older device like my old 8in tablet the App don't work with my Android 14 Samsung phone as it is to new. Also because again no update for long while the WebUI you can't access unless you happen to have an old PC that still runs IE and are able to install the Web part it will make you DL. I still have a PC with IE because it has not be updated for the last year ever since they started forcing people away from IE. I don't connect that Laptop to the Internet only access local and so I can still access the WebUI with it, However my local computers with updates installed it won't even work on Edge with IE tab in use. So you will need to access it over GUI. With what you were saying not being able to access GUI the DVR won't help much. Personally I would look at using the 8m8-H5 from Amcrest as a Replacement. Pogo on the forum uses that DVR I have the 8m16-H5 is about the same just different case and 16ch. As I said before I have a few others as well. One that has been out of stock for a while is my 7108-AI, I don't think they will offer that one anymore, I would personally look at the 5108-i3 or AI if you are looking to get an AI model for update ability. Don't want to limit ideas on devices that will just act like what you already own. Or the Package deal with the HDD and 4 cameras I mentioned before. Or if no AI needed then 8m8-H5 can even find maybe on Ebay for ok price used.

Be Safe.
Be Safe.