Myu AMDV7208 Won't Power On

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
pdxrealtor

Myu AMDV7208 Won't Power On

Post by pdxrealtor »

Noticed it was off recently, and, it won't turn back on. I've checked that there is power from the A/C adapter up to NRV and it's on, but I did not test for exact voltage.

I opened the NVR and there is power inside as well, but nothing turns on. No Fan, no lights on front panel, no hard drive either. Hard drive even has power going to it per my power tester (beep if voltage is present, no beep if no voltage).

Where should I start?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Myu AMDV7208 Won't Power On

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello, Sorry to hear your having some issues with your Recorder!

From what I know I might need more info.. I think the 7208 is a DVR? if it is a NVR as you mention in your posting can you please check your Model and report back..

DVR would have metal pegs coming out the back for connection of Cameras the 7208 that I know of is a CVI 720p DVR if your system has Ethernet port only and or multi port Ethernet ports please post back the model from under the unit...

Power from your Power supply don't always mean anything. I am sorry but the Hard truth is that first thing to go on these are the Power supply.. So you said you tested the supply and it was 12v.. However where this can go wrong is what there is power applied to a device then this is when the Power Supply must produce the right Amps... So I am guessing that the 7208 requires a 2amp supply if your trying to give it any less then this it will not power on... I might be wrong and it might require 4amps as I am not sure if the 8 and 16 ch are both 4 or only 16ch... However it could be posted on the Device and say that 12v 4amps or 12v and 2amps either way it has to be that...

So how can you test.. While I don't want to say anyone should try things if they don't know what they are doing.. But one test you could do say if you have the right Supply but it is bad maybe it was 2amps and the one you have is 2amps but is not producing the right amps... One way to test is to unplug the HDD it will not require the HDD to be installed to run the DVR... So to test unplug the DVR HDD and plug in the Power and see if it comes on.. if it does then there is one of 2 issues HDD bad pulling down supply to the point it will not work.. Or the Supply is bad....

Also I could be wrong and I don't have mine infront of me without spending an hour to get into my Security Room.. So I can't remember if it has a Power Button the on back or not as I have so many recorders I can't remember what one does and what ones don't... Anyway if it does O os off and I on ON... Could test that the Switch is still working.. Power button on the Front I never used so don't even know if it worked lol...

Another thing.. IF the System didn't come on... Remove one of the Fans off the header pins try and turn it on.. Remove the second fan off the header pins don't run it long if it comes on without fans connected again I have few and some have Case fans some have CPU and Case fan so I can't remember what my CVI unit has I do remember my other Dahua CVI has case and CPU however it is a 8Ch my 7204 is only a 4 ch and I think it was only case fan.. Anyway again removing this and comes to life it could be bad fan or again bad Power Supply...
Be Safe.
pdxrealtor

Post by pdxrealtor »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:37 pm Hello, Sorry to hear your having some issues with your Recorder!

From what I know I might need more info.. I think the 7208 is a DVR? if it is a NVR as you mention in your posting can you please check your Model and report back..

DVR would have metal pegs coming out the back for connection of Cameras the 7208 that I know of is a CVI 720p DVR if your system has Ethernet port only and or multi port Ethernet ports please post back the model from under the unit...

Power from your Power supply don't always mean anything. I am sorry but the Hard truth is that first thing to go on these are the Power supply.. So you said you tested the supply and it was 12v.. However where this can go wrong is what there is power applied to a device then this is when the Power Supply must produce the right Amps... So I am guessing that the 7208 requires a 2amp supply if your trying to give it any less then this it will not power on... I might be wrong and it might require 4amps as I am not sure if the 8 and 16 ch are both 4 or only 16ch... However it could be posted on the Device and say that 12v 4amps or 12v and 2amps either way it has to be that...

So how can you test.. While I don't want to say anyone should try things if they don't know what they are doing.. But one test you could do say if you have the right Supply but it is bad maybe it was 2amps and the one you have is 2amps but is not producing the right amps... One way to test is to unplug the HDD it will not require the HDD to be installed to run the DVR... So to test unplug the DVR HDD and plug in the Power and see if it comes on.. if it does then there is one of 2 issues HDD bad pulling down supply to the point it will not work.. Or the Supply is bad....

Also I could be wrong and I don't have mine infront of me without spending an hour to get into my Security Room.. So I can't remember if it has a Power Button the on back or not as I have so many recorders I can't remember what one does and what ones don't... Anyway if it does O os off and I on ON... Could test that the Switch is still working.. Power button on the Front I never used so don't even know if it worked lol...

Another thing.. IF the System didn't come on... Remove one of the Fans off the header pins try and turn it on.. Remove the second fan off the header pins don't run it long if it comes on without fans connected again I have few and some have Case fans some have CPU and Case fan so I can't remember what my CVI unit has I do remember my other Dahua CVI has case and CPU however it is a 8Ch my 7204 is only a 4 ch and I think it was only case fan.. Anyway again removing this and comes to life it could be bad fan or again bad Power Supply...
Thank you. It does have the co-ax camera connections, and, 1 LAN port.

I did as you suggest and unplugged the hard drive. Still will not power up

No luck unplugging the one fan inside the box either.

I put power to the unit and used a voltage detector to test the power switch on the back panel. Off there is no voltage in the box. On and there is voltage in the box. I think this means the rocker switch is good.

What else could I try? I could grab a new power supply. After the hard drive/fan unplug tests is it worth it to do give that a try?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well it could be that the PSU is really bad. Even though it shows 12v it could be that any current draw will change that to 0 or less then anything that will work at a Min.. IT is hard to say really what something will work at without good specs.. I guess I could get a meter and test mine under load and then test it with out a drive and with out fans and see what the min current draw is.. Just a lot of work to dig it out of my Security Closet... An hour to get in it.. If I leave it open and easy access I can get things back in there after 10 to 20 before I button it back up..

Again I know mine is 2amps required I am guessing the 8 would be as well... I know my 8NVR is 2amp and my 16ch NVR is 4amps.. However for the CVI there is a little more going on and might require a larger then 2amp for the DVR... My other DVR from another brand is 16ch an is 5amp with a special plug.. I guess I need to get in there anyway and look over that DVR because for the last 4 days it has shut off on me or restarted on me every day telling me my IP cameras on it are at risk because the Passwords are week... LOL I left them default for the time because I was testing but For now I have them off to see if my DVR resets again or if it was just making me aware I have Cameras at risk lol... HDD was good, no fan alarms so I don't know and guess I need to look it over I was just trying to wait another day to see if it goes off again... *Resets*
Be Safe.
pdxrealtor

Post by pdxrealtor »

I appreciate the help. I think it's easier for me to buy a new power supply, just a wall wart after all, than it is for you to dig out the box from your room.

I was wondering if the fan burned out on me, and in turn fried the main board. Possible? If so, do you know if that board can be ordered as a part?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly that board isn't able to be bought as a Replacement part.. I am not sure that the Fan going out could cause the board to burn out without maybe burned out do to the system over heating.. If the CPU over heated it is most likely that the CPU is bad and in that case there is not much that could be done to repair it either..

So I did some testing on mine and find it strange that the bottom says it works on 2amps however I had it connected to my 5amps PSU and took some test measurements. Normal running without fan or HDD was at 250ma to 300ma depending on what it was doing and where I was in the menu.. Fan was about the same was as much as 306ma at max.. I then turned off unit and plugged in the hdd, then turned it on and first it spiked to 3.12amps and find that odd when the psu that came with it is only 2amps lol but ok.. Once it was running it was 1.7amps to 1.9amps with only 2 cameras connected because I didn't connect the CVI cameras as they are ran to the Security Closet... However did test with the 2 IP cameras active and normal recording state fan on was under 2amps... However I thought lets see what happens when I Format the HDD so I setup to do this and at that time it spikes up to 3.4 to 3.6amps for a very short time and only thing I can think of either my Unit is going bad and starting to fail or the PSU that comes with the unit has a Good Surge as some can take on good Amps for a Short time without fail... After the fast surge it was about 2.14amps until the HDD was done with format before it rebooted when it started up again was back to the 1.5 to 1.8amps... I tested this with 2 meters and both showed same results within 350ma difference.

When you turn it on do any of the LEDs come on? Does the Alarm sound? Does any of the front LEDS come on? Or is it just acting like it is dead?

IF you takethe Switch and unplug it from the MB if you set your Multi Meter from here on called MM to Resistance or Diode check if it has a beep function does your MM show that the switch will go open and closed? or is the switch in Open always no matter the position of the switch..
Be Safe.
pdxrealtor

Post by pdxrealtor »

REVO 2 Max - thank you for all of your help. If only the people at Amcrest had the customer service you did I'd buy more of their cameras/gear.

It was indeed a faulty power supply. I picked up a new one for 10 bucks. Problem solved. Also blew the fan out and lubed it up while I was in there. Runs great!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome I am glad to hear things are back up and going...

Sadly one of the first things to go is a Power supply.. While it can act good by a Normal multi meter test once a load is added that is all different story... Right now Support for almost any company is going to be rough with the State most people are in with Staff running low and or business being closed for normal business.. I know when I used to work in Tech Support for a few companies there was less then 6 feet between each station.. Even though they were 4ft or so tall partitions I am going to guess they have to have out of 12 Support Stations only 6 staff and could be less if the Size of building is low however Amcrest building isn't small so that isn't an issue..

Most times it is hard to know what is wrong with things when the rate of return for bad power supply is low this is because the fail rate of the Power supply is normally 3 to 5 years from invent.. This is caused by a lower quality CAP.. I am going to guess that if your Power supply was opened up there would be some either opened caps (Venting) or would test fail by a ESR meter.. After replacing the caps your old supply could come back to life...

Edit: Anyone reading this if you have not ever worked on a Power supply or any electronics please don't take your power supply apart it can kill you
Be Safe.