Lost connection problem

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
zplugger

Lost connection problem

Post by zplugger »

If I lose internet connection mym cameras wont come back on line without nvr reboot. When I get internet back the nvr is working but the cameras stay off line until nvr reboot? Is there a way to fix this,if not at home and on road no way to reset it. Wish Amcrest View Pro could do this. Do I need to change something in setup? Do I need a newer NVR model? any help appricated. Just cant get cameras to work without a reboot.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Lost connection problem

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok I am trying to understand all this. I have a 4116E-HS and I don't have the issue that your talking about that I know of..

If you loss Internet you can't connect to cameras over the NVR? When Internet is back then you can access the NVR but no cameras are working on NVR until you do a Reboot?

So for kicks I went to my router and turned off my NVR's IP address from having access to the Internet. Then using AVP I accessed my NVR and why it is odd my AVP is setup P2P and I was able to connect to my Camera I know this is little different then your no Internet however the funny thing is I can connect and it will stay connected for about a Min then if I am just looking it will bring up the dual arrow refresh screen and get a message at top Network not Available if I hit the Refresh I get it to come back then it blanks out after that I thought I would scan my network and found it was accessing the network over RTP and UDP and over Multicast even though I have it turned off in my NVR..

So then only thing I can think of without more info is that your cameras and NVR are not setup using Static IP addresses and that when the internet goes offline and back online it don't give a good IP address to the NVR. Then same goes for the IP cameras.. That is all guesses as I don't know if it is all 16ch or only 8POE channels? So then it sounds like it could be an issue with the NVR's Switch or NVR not giving out good IP's after internet.. Having a lot of different NVR's loads of POE and a few that are not I have not had any issues like what you mention here..

Reboot to get cameras working again? Is this all 16ch or POE side or your Local Network side?
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Thanks for the info Revo2Maxx, let me make this more simple. My nvr i
has 4 mcameras and it has a internet connection. The nvr has a 192.168.xx.xxx ip address and the cameras are on a 10.1.165 address and so on for the other three. If I unplug my nvr from the internet I will lose my cameras, When I plug the internet cable back in nvr it will connect but the cameras will not connect without rebooting the nvr. Is this normal? so what happens is when I lose internet I also lose my cameras until reboot. Any suggestions on this?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok Sorry for asking what might seem dumb question but need to know some more...

So is there a Chance that you have a Pass Though cable from your 192.168.xxx.xxx going to the POE ports of the NVR?

Because if you happen to have it setup like some others have in the past and I have as well, Your Cameras if they are not setup for Static IP they will get pulled into a new IP and that IP isn't something that is normally working on the POE ports of the NVR..

So I am clear, Normally there is 1 cable from your network going to the NVR, That will allow someone to add IP cameras from the normal network Then cables from the POE ports of the NVR go only to POE cameras or IP cameras to the POE port. If this has a Pass through cable from your normal network side then it will or can most likely change the IP of the cameras when the system is pulled from the network side because now a DHCP server from network is setting IP... Once that internet is returned to the NVR then the Switch returns active but the cameras don't get new address until a Reboot.

So right now I did the same thing as you mention, I removed the network cable to my NVR from my network, all my 10.0.0.xxx cameras went offline on the NVR however the GUI of the nvr shows all my POE devices still connected..

So all the stuff above might be mute as your not setup like that and in that case then no it shouldn't work that way as you describe above.. So here is an idea, I would connect to your NVR over the WebUI, Then make connection to your cameras over the Virtual Host access by going to the Camera, Remote and click on the e next to the camera, It will (Or should) bring up a ipaddress of your NVR like lets say 192.168.41.141 was your NVR's normal IP address so then it would come up for the first camera selected as 192.168.41.141/10080 and it should give you a log in page for your camera if it says it is not a safe ip address click on a different e of another camera because 10080 in Chrome seems broke works fine in IE the next camera when you press e will bring up 10081 and so on however to get back to the one that didn't work you will need to log out of WebUI, Then log back in, click on camera e of one that did work and it will start with the 10080 this time and click on the one that didn't work the first time and it will get 10081..

Anyway once you log into the cameras webUI go to setup, network, TCP/IP and change the dhcp to static. leaving the IP the same as it was and save. Now it will not change
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also forgot to mention that when I return my Network cable to my 4116E-HS, all the other cameras come back online without me having to reboot my NVR.. With cable removed it says the other cameras are offline and some at first might say that it past the login time however as I said once the cable is restored the normal network side of my NVR load back.

Also because of my networks all being on different IP from the switch of the NVR's I did move the 4116E-HS to use 10.1.1.xx for a test and sure only time that the NVR needed to be rebooted to get access to my POE cameras is if I happen to change that IP on the Switch of the NVR. So i had to restart once I changed to 10.1.1.1 and I had to restart to change back to 10.10.1.1 that I have this NVR setup for.. Outside of that no loss of POE cameras connected to POE ports of the NVR. (Also note I don't have any pass around cables in play anymore for some while either) 6 to 10+ months since I last used one full time..
Be Safe
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Thanks again Revo2Maxx
My NVR is connect straight to my Router/ Modem, I have the TMobile trashcan router with two either net connector on back. I set my cameras to dchp and did a reboot of the nvr, after that I went to web interface and set them back to static. If I lose the internet connection the cameras still don't work. I have the nvr on static too, it keeps the same ip address all the time. Cameras keeping same 10.1.1.xx too but will not show video until reboot. Could something be wrong with the nvr? I will try anything to make this wotk.I have the cat 6 wire from trashcan to network port on nvr, all cameras are hardwired to poe ports on nvr. Maybe a factory reset?
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Here is another thing I found, If I unplug any camera from back of nvr I lose all of them? After reboot they come back.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

That is crazy. I hate to say it but sounds like you should do a Factory Reset, If that don't cure the issue then I would do a FW update again with the FW be it newer then you have now or even the same one already installed and see if it cures it..

I would also look into adding a different type of Router maybe like a Netgear or something that isn't just the Tmobile modem. It could be that the router has some type of control over the NVR's Switch. I know that my 4216E-AI NVR is a Odd Duck and I can use 10.0.0.xxx and 10.1.1.xxx from the front and back side of the NVR. While it is only a really short time of maybe an hour or 2 but it is strange. So I can Ping 10.1.1.1 from my normal network with my 4216E Connected so that is why I changed all my other NVR's to different IPs on the NVR's Switch so there is no fighting over the 10.1.1.xx numbers...

If a Reset, and Re install of the FW don't cure the issue and you try to connect a different router as a Bridge and that don't cure it either and if the NVR is still under warranty I would work with Amcrest to get it replaced...
Be Safe
zplugger

Post by zplugger »

Hello Revo2Maxx
Played around for couple days with different setting and no luck. I did a firmware update with no luck either. I do like the new firmware on my nvr,nice change. My last resort was to do a factory reset, I did not want to do this. Well I did it and BINGO, everything works perfect. I can unplug my router and the cameras come back on line when the nvr has internet again. No more rebooting nvr after internet lost. Thanks again for explaining everything the way you do, not sure how this site would do without you. Sure will be nice sleeping tonight without thinking about the nvr problem. I have to say for the money you can't beat the AMCREST systems. Guess this will be one of those mysteries what was wrong. LOL
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Glad to hear you got it working. I have a few systems that after some time I have to do a Factory Reset to get it to work as I expect. My guess is that I make a change and over some time of other changes forget what change was made and after trying many changes only thing back is a Reset to Factory.

While it can be a Pain I now do it so often of my systems because of all the testing and or messing around with different settings or features it is just faster for me now to Factory Reset to get things back to the way I want again.
Be Safe