login security question

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
RedDirtDog

login security question

Post by RedDirtDog »

I had my NVR hacked and logged into by a neighbor that broke into my house and got the serial number on my amcrest NVR and at the time I still had the default password 00000000 so he was able to login and see my cameras prolly with amcrest survaillance pro id assume, so he was able to config the time and stop recording, even though I disconnected the internet ethernet plug so it wasnt connected to the internet at all, im still confused how he was able to config settings when it wasnt connected to the internet. he also was able to view my IP address and each cameras personal address (theyre ethernet wired cameras)

Im thinking of getting a POE switch and using my PC with amcrest survaillence pro or blu iris instead of the NVR but even if I change the password login im still concerned he'll be able to view my cameras or edit them especially since it'll be connected to the internet again, can he do this with just the IP address and the cameras address?

I
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: login security question

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well there are a few things that you can do and this is how I would do it.

First log into your router and look for settings that talk about Restriction of users in your router Please note this is a step that will or can help from here out,
In my Router it is under Advanced, Log in Control. (I would block all incoming devices) this means you will have to personally give access to each device that is going to connect to your network

Second, Reset all Cameras, NVR, Router, gateway, Switch and give them a new IP range. Like right now if your on 192.168.x.xxx give it something like 10.1.7.1 as your main IP in your router handing out IP's in that range. Once all devices come back online and setup, log into your NVR, GIve it 10.1.7.200 for the IP and change your password to something that has nothing to do with you or your area around you. Meaning if your house is at 102369 Splinter don't make a password like Splinter102 or anything that is known by others.

Setup your cameras to have the same password as your NVR if they are POE cameras and on POE NVR you will have to leave them admin normally (Don't) make the changes that is needed by logging into the camera after Resetting it and change the password. So it is an extra step you will have to make to get your camera running after you connect to your NVR but don't have to worry about someone gaining local access to your camera...

Next choose a main computer if you have more then one you use you can even have more then 1 main but at least choose 1 that you use for accessing the NVR while in your living room or bedroom if you don't have a Terminal and need or want access. This computer you need to setup (Again this is after you have Reset it) this computer you will setup with a Static IP, Like on mine I have it setup for 10.0.0.119 as it's main Ip (It has many) anyway then take that IP address and go to your NVRs setup page using the GUI of the NVR or WebUI either way, You will go to Main Menu, Network, IP Filter, turn on and add your Computers IP address in there. If you have a desk top and lap top you access your NVR's WebUI then add them both Don't add a Range.

So something to keep in mind. IF your NVR is setup as a POE NVR then that is little more secure however I can still Hijack your cameras if you left them default setup so that is why it is important to make sure to change your IP cameras Passwords along with your NVR's..

Next Don't let any of your cameras connections exposed to the outdoors. IF you have them exposed even if 10' in the air someone can gain access to your camera and or your network. So if your NVR is non POE NVR and all your connections are just going to a Switch then anyone connecting a Laptop or other device to your lan port of for the camera, Even using a Mini Hub to keep the connection of the camera going while this is being done just out of the cameras view you wouldn't be the wiser.. Anyway with that someone can just access your network and internet and or your Network devices for Hijacking...

I could get in deeper about how to Secure each Camera line from each outdoor jack to your indoor network however that is going to be outside the scope of normal NVR connection and basic setup needs. With a Managed Switch there are ways to keep each line to a camera setup as just that..

Main thing to do today seeing everything said is something that will take time a planning. I would first of all Rest your NVR and each Camera back to Factory. Then put in a new Password for each Device and setup your NVR for IP filtering. To be 100% safe I would personally setup each camera with new password (same as your NVR) and setup the Camera with IP filtering as well. This you will want to give 2 IP's the NVR's and your computers. Personally I would also Reset your Router incase she/he installed a account for them to log into your network that is what I think they have done as well as might have setup Key loggers on your system if they are able to keep access to your NVR even after you changed password.. Reset router, NVR, Camera, computer
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
RedDirtMoto99

Post by RedDirtMoto99 »

Thanks Revo, How do I setup Cameras to have ip filtering?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So in the camera WebUI, Log in, then at the top right is Setup, Then on the left click Network, Then a few slots down is IP Filter, you will want to enable it, then you will want to add your IP to the Trusted IP list.

Also I would double check and make sure they don't have access to your camera on a different user. So if you have more then just admin as users you might want to change all the password for the users and for sure change the password for the admin.

Also not all cameras or Recorders have Reset by Email function but you want to look at your cameras Setup area and make sure there is no email Reset because if they added their email in there and connect via web or ASP there might be a way for them to reset. So in a newer camera it would be in the account area and a tab would say Reset Password and have email or Q&A..

Just make sure when you enable IP Filter that you put in your IP for All computers you want to trust. Also change the Log in tries from 10 to something like 5 with a Buzzer so you know when someone is trying to log into your system that isn't you. Also would change how long it keeps them from trying after locked. If you happen to lock your self out just reboot camera by removing power to it and you can log in with right pass without the wait..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe