How do I get audio?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
pdxrealtor

How do I get audio?

Post by pdxrealtor »

Hi - I have this NVR - Amcrest ProHD 720P 8CH Video Security System - Eight 1.0-Megapixel (1280TVL) Outdoor IP67 Bullet Cameras, 2TB HDD, Night Vision, Remote Smartphone Access, White Mid (AMDV7208M-8B-W)

Found here on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011C ... UTF8&psc=1

I think I need to update the cameras to get audio, but need this verified. If so , what are some options for replacement co-ax cameras that will plug into the co-ax lines I've run all through my attic in which I left the camera connection/plugs on the exterior for easy replacement.

Thanks.
pdxrealtor

Re: How do I get audio?

Post by pdxrealtor »

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

That DVR supports only X number of audio from the Audio in port of the DVR that can be found on the box of the DVR. Some of the newer DVR's like my AMDV8M16-H5 and 7108-AI DVR's supports audio over coax. Now some devices and I can't remember the 72xx series as I do have one just not used with a MIC in a while. However some devices require it to be on CH1 where it might have been the input could be used for what ever channel you wanted. I would have to go put a Mic on mine and see what it does..

So to be honest, I would look into upgrading your DVR. For one of the best deals I would go with the AMDV5M8. That without a HDD would be 119.99 down from normal MSRP of 159.99.. That DVR would give you the ability to have more feature rich cameras and use AI tech. You would be able to upgrade your cameras from 720p to 5mp and the cameras you have now will work, along with many other brands of cameras. h.265 works with all cameras on the DVR without issue at a Camera level could even setup Face Detection Recognition if that was something you wanted to add..

Also keep in mind that Audio recording is not allowed in all states so please be sure that it is in your location and or keep in mind what the issues might be in your state if you do record audio if not allowed.

You can use a normal Siamese cable or Cat5e cable with connectors or straight wired to your camera location. Most Mics are very low current requirement. Connecting Siamese cable with RCA adaptors is best for Mics with that already connected. Plain wire mics will need connection to MIC still Siamese would be best and cost worthy. However if you have Cat5e you can buy ends that you can make work for connection to Mic and for the DVR side.
Be Safe.
pdxrealtor

Post by pdxrealtor »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:18 pm That DVR supports only X number of audio from the Audio in port of the DVR that can be found on the box of the DVR. Some of the newer DVR's like my AMDV8M16-H5 and 7108-AI DVR's supports audio over coax. Now some devices and I can't remember the 72xx series as I do have one just not used with a MIC in a while. However some devices require it to be on CH1 where it might have been the input could be used for what ever channel you wanted. I would have to go put a Mic on mine and see what it does..

So to be honest, I would look into upgrading your DVR. For one of the best deals I would go with the AMDV5M8. That without a HDD would be 119.99 down from normal MSRP of 159.99.. That DVR would give you the ability to have more feature rich cameras and use AI tech. You would be able to upgrade your cameras from 720p to 5mp and the cameras you have now will work, along with many other brands of cameras. h.265 works with all cameras on the DVR without issue at a Camera level could even setup Face Detection Recognition if that was something you wanted to add..

Also keep in mind that Audio recording is not allowed in all states so please be sure that it is in your location and or keep in mind what the issues might be in your state if you do record audio if not allowed.

You can use a normal Siamese cable or Cat5e cable with connectors or straight wired to your camera location. Most Mics are very low current requirement. Connecting Siamese cable with RCA adaptors is best for Mics with that already connected. Plain wire mics will need connection to MIC still Siamese would be best and cost worthy. However if you have Cat5e you can buy ends that you can make work for connection to Mic and for the DVR side.
Hey - thanks for your response! Very helpful!! I was reading your post here - https://amcrest.com/forum/nvrs-dvrs-f19 ... 15779.html and see you have the AMDV7108-AI. Is there any easy way to compare the AMDV7108-AI and the AMDV5M8, and others?

I am in the need for a bit more of a serious system that will actually work as intended. It seems there are a lot of bugs and things that don't work well, or at all, with my current NVR and / or Cameras. Like - motion detection has always been disabled as I could NEVER get it setup to operate with any level of consistency or reliability. There was way too many false alarms, and having to figure out the sensitivity controls was an experience in and of itself, and I never did get it working good enough to not be annoyed with constant false alarms. Ok - not false alarms - the shadows, the sun changing position etc etc....

Then there is the smart phone app - is it the same for all the NVR boxes or do newer boxes come with newer mobile apps?

What about the interface of the actual NVR software as viewed from the NVRs HDMI out? Is it different with each model? If so, do you know of one that works better than others? Or, in reverse, ones to steer clear from? The interface on my current box feels like it was meant for beta testing!

I am all for upgrading some things - but not if they're going to be as buggy as my current system. I only use it for reviewing footage after something has happened because configuring it for anything else has never panned out. I've spend two or three days at different times since owning this thing, and , it never seems to work as it was intended, and it's complicated to understand some of the configurations - tours, snapshots, email notifications would always have two different size pics, or one pic would come through but not the second or third I wanted.

Perhaps I should just look at adding a 4 channel system for the additional cameras that will be monitoring customer interactions, and I need some high def ones that will record the condition of cars as I move them in and out of my shop.

The main thing is I want to use the cable runs (siamese? - power and coax in one run) I have already ran, as they're not fun to run and I don't want to do it again.

Thanks again for your help! You helped me in the past with the power supply issue. I have since went through two new power supplies, and I'm on my 3rd since that conversation. I don't know why I have to keep replacing them, but it would be nice not to have to do that either.

PS- are you positive my current box won't take the audio?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So to answer your PS. I am sorry I was wrong. The DVR is not only Audio over Coax but is also PTZ over coax as well. I have a 720P PTZ Dahua camera CVI that I connected and sure enough I was able to enable audio from the camera.

However the issue is finding a Camera that will work with your DVR that offers Audio over Coax to start with. Newer camera all over the place older ones not so much. I am sure there are some out there..

About Stats between the DVR's the 7108 is a 8mp and the 5m08 is a 5mp and the cost between the 2 is more then plenty for most people to buy the 5mp one. Had it been offered when I got the 7108 I would have bought the 5m16 over the 7108.. Also while I am happy enough with the 7108 had I known and data offered when I bought it as it is now I would have bought the 5116 over the 7108 because of the FPS is only thing different really and I dont' have any 8mp Analog cameras and thought the 15 was related to the ones I had already that was only 5mp and lower.. So yeah besides that I have my 8m16-H5 to take up the slack..
Screenshot (4394).png
Screenshot (4394).png (84.75 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
Be Safe.
pdxrealtor

Post by pdxrealtor »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:35 pm So to answer your PS. I am sorry I was wrong. The DVR is not only Audio over Coax but is also PTZ over coax as well. I have a 720P PTZ Dahua camera CVI that I connected and sure enough I was able to enable audio from the camera.

However the issue is finding a Camera that will work with your DVR that offers Audio over Coax to start with. Newer camera all over the place older ones not so much. I am sure there are some out there..

About Stats between the DVR's the 7108 is a 8mp and the 5m08 is a 5mp and the cost between the 2 is more then plenty for most people to buy the 5mp one. Had it been offered when I got the 7108 I would have bought the 5m16 over the 7108.. Also while I am happy enough with the 7108 had I known and data offered when I bought it as it is now I would have bought the 5116 over the 7108 because of the FPS is only thing different really and I dont' have any 8mp Analog cameras and thought the 15 was related to the ones I had already that was only 5mp and lower.. So yeah besides that I have my 8m16-H5 to take up the slack..

Screenshot (4394).png
Thanks again - this is very helpful! - I could not tell from the specs that there was any difference in audio capabilities between the 7108 and 7208 so I'm glad I double checked.

This is nice because I can replace a couple of my current cameras with audio capable ones. I am thinking I will pickup a separate 4 channel that will suit the specific needs of viewing cars being pulled in and out of the shop. Those may not even end up with audio. But I digress....

Are you saying it's difficult to find newer cameras that are BNC connections, and have audio built in? I would prefer to buy new. I was not sure if your reference was based on the thought I would be looking for used cams.

I found this one - https://amcrest.com/5mp-analog-camera-t ... n28-w.html -- which shows it will work with BNC, and your DVR 7108-ai - but it does not list my model. It also says will not work with NVRs.

I think I can use an IP camera as well?

What is the difference between the DVR and NVR? I thought mine was an NVR, but even the Amcrest add page says it's a DVR - https://amcrest.com/amcrest-720p-8ch-hd ... -more.html

Couple questions-
Does the user interface change at all with any of these DVR/NVR upgrades? Are the functions and how they operate improved any over my older model? Things like facial recognition, trip wire notification, etc. are all things I am interested in for my shop - but if it's not ready for prime time as a lot of the features of my seem to be, I would not be interested. Don't be afraid to tell me user error - I would love to know there is hope in getting my current setup to work even 50% of what I want.

Is it perhaps my cams that are giving me such fits with the motion detection, not the DVR/NVR software?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok sorry, First What I was talking about is the ability to find a Camera that would work with your current DVR.. Like I said the one that I connected to my OLDER like your 7208 however is my 7204. So with it same Model type as yours then yes it would work with Audio Over Coax. So what I meant was OLDER camera (Even if bought NEW) that would work with our 72xx models. However if you look at your camera even if it is a 5mp it might have the ability to work as a 720p however in most cases it would be only able to go down to 1080P. Like most of my 5mp they will only go down to 1080P. So yes newer cameras todays tech that would offer Mic or Audio in/out that is Analog will work with the newer higher MP DVR's

To be honest the GUI of most all systems look almost the same with some slight changes between them. So the 4.0 FW DVR's look different and do look like the 4.0 NVR GUI and even work the same. While some of the GUI has changed since the 72xx out of the box the 8m08 or 8m16-h5 will look the same as your GUI or most like it. Once the 4.0 FW is put on the Chrome is useable however keep in mind that you can still use Edge with IE Tab because there is much more options in IE then in CHrome or Edge..

So about Function. Lets talk about AI DVR's. Like the 7108. When I setup a Push on my phone and I get an Alert from my DVR I know 100% that it is a real alert. Setting up SMD is great and works well but to be Honest it works best with IVS using tripwire or Intrusion. Setting up for Human I think I had 1 false alert from a Cat with my 7108-AI DVR.. However it hasn't happen since. Keep in mind Face Detect and Recognition is going to work 1 ch no other option will work so if you need something like that then maybe a stand alone IP camera like the 1046ew-AI and just save to Micro SD only and keep the DVR to work with IVS to keep the false alerts down.

Now keep in mind that if you setup Motion and don't have newer cameras then the ones you have right now (I call them dumb cameras) because they don't have OSD or at least my Amcrest 720p cameras don't. However some other cameras that I own (many of the other in fact) have OSD and I can make changes to the camera like you would a IP camera in a sense.

Keep in mind that a NVR and a DVR serve the same function however the DVR is the core of a Analog system. While some of my Analog cameras are Smart it is really the function of the DVR to detect and then record the scene. However with most as I called them before Dumb cameras. They are IR at night only and don't have the ability to make many if any changes in how it works. Now with Amcrest they are somewhen Semi Smart IR as they camera can change settings to help with glare or over IR where some of my older cameras even with OSD some of them didn't have a Smart IR ability and was Full on so even when some one would walk up to camera all you would see is WHITE light and no features of the person so Amcrest cameras did have the ability to adjust for the current scenes needs. However no ability to turn off and that is why at night Bugs, Humid weather, rain, snow and anything that moves would set off Motion if outdoors.
The NVR, While it is kind of the same as a DVR and in some of the AI it does also offer a lot of programming for the system. However a normal NVR to a normal DVR the NVR works off the cameras current settings. So let say you did a Reset of an NVR and setup all your cameras again. The settings from the camera will be pulled into the NVR and ready to go. So if you wanted it setup for Motion with half grid setup and other half off. Once you add that camera the NVR will pull that and that channel will be setup. The DVR you reset the DVR you will have to setup all the Motion Girds for each channel. What do I prefer. In Truth DVR. It is faster and easier to setup a DVR even having to setup each event again after a RESET then it is to setup a NVR after a Reset even though most of the info comes form the cameras. DVR's 1 password for all system. NVR each camera will need to have a password. Want to make a CHANGE on a POE camera connected to POE NVR PORT WebUI and Virtual host connection that will give you a port number along with your NVRs IP to make that access. DVR. Just click on PTZ menu and click Menu and if the camera had an OSD it will be there and let you make changes to the cameras settings...

User Error? Well I did make a Video some time ago where people had said that camera didn't' work so I made a Video posted to youtube about setting up IVS in the DVR/NVR and what people must be forgetting 1 last step to make it work. If you want you can look at some of my Videos as there is some content there that might answer your questions. Like Color cameras White LEDS at night VS even older 2016 Analog HD color and B/W camera that I have running full time color. Why that is better over use IR or White LEDS at night if the area supports enough light already. Also some of Amcrest cameras NEWER while I don't own many NEWER hardware the Color Night cameras work very well with or without White LEDS on.. You can check out my Channel if you like here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNU_k ... VSn9eDmpqQ

If you don't find something helpful and if I have it I would be more then happy to try to make a Video to answer any questions related to Amcrest DVR's or NVR or cameras. Only have a 1046EW-AI Amcrest true AI camera my 8mp with trip wire and intrusion from Amcrest it can help a little on false alerts however isn't true AI so Tripwire and Intrusion wouldn't know a cat, dog or a spider from anything that is really important where my 1046EW-AI has that ability and much more. I do have other AI cameras as well 90% is from Dahua and are older EOL camera even my Ultra AI camera is EOL and outdated to what Amcrest is offering today..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

About the camera, Looks like a great camera. The semi good news is that it should work with your DVR however there is 1 slight issue. Setting the camera to CVBS aka 960h. This will work or should work on your DVR however on one of my 2mp cameras that has Audio UTC it only works in 2mp mode. If I connect to the 960h output the Audio don't work because in a sense the camera is no longer in HD mode so the audio don't work. Now please note I am not perfect and I am human and I make Mistakes and happy to call out my own mistakes when I find like when I thought our 72xx DVR was not UTC audio.. In the case of the Amcrest camera the Audio might still work even once setup for CVBS to work with the 720P DVR.. But really you will be much happier with a newer DVR no less then the AMDV8Mxx-H5 However for the money AMDV5Mxx is AI and while only work up 5mp cameras. So 5108, 5116 or 7108 if you will one day want to upgrade to a 8mp camera and want AI. From what I see I would be happy with the AMDV5Mxx AI DVR if I was buying today..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So now I remember why I wasn't to thrilled about my 7204. It is said to work with CVBS and or 960h and I just tried to connect one of my Amcrest 960h cameras to it and nothing ever comes to life. I know the camera still works because I can connect to my 8M16-H5 DVR and it works just fine.. So I tried a few other cameras that didn't work. While they were not Amcrest it might be different with Amcrest CVBS cameras. So keep that in mind buying a 5mp camera like the one you listed above, It might not work on your current DVR
Be Safe.
pdxrealtor

Post by pdxrealtor »

I just wanted to say thank you for all of this info! It's so much I haven't even had a time to review it all. The links to your videos are very much APPRECIATED! I will give all this some careful review and report back.

Thanks again for all of your insight, time, and kindness!