HDMI to DVI issue

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
JVR

HDMI to DVI issue

Post by JVR »

Hi, new here. I just bought a 4 channel 2MP POE system and am still installing it. So far I'me very impressed with the image quality, day and night. My system, maybe them all, has HDMI and VGA out puts and I just bought a new HD monitor to use with it but it has DVI and VGA inputs only so I also bought a HDMI to DVI adapter cable. I use a similar setup on my home computer. Strangely the Amcrest system, mine at least doesn't appear to work properly with this configuration, the image is tinted and washed.
HDMI to DVI
HDMI to DVI
20181211_174156.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 6282 times
I confirmed that it worked with VGA, at least the coloring not the resolution though. I tested the monitor on another computer with two different cable and it worked fine while the Amcrest DVR with two different adapters yielded the same result.
VGA to VGA
VGA to VGA
20181211_173919.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 6282 times
I then tried my computer monitor which has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs. It failed to detect any signal at all with the adapter cable(s) but HDMI to HDMI worked perfectly.
HDMI to HDMI
HDMI to HDMI
20181211_195526.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 6282 times

Are there any known issues with the HDMI ports on the DVRs, do I have a bad one or is there a firmware upgrade available before I have to start shopping and returning monitors?
Thanks
Jim
jack7

Re: HDMI to DVI issue

Post by jack7 »

Good detailed post. I believe your DVR setup manual will say you need a computer monitor or TV with either an HDMI or VGA input, and you said HDMI works. So you should probably get a HDMI monitor or TV.
JVR

Post by JVR »

Right, that would be the logical choice. However, I'd still like to know why the DVI adapter works for most HDMI devices I've seen except this one and also is it exclusive to my unit or all of them.
In the interim I've connected it with the VGA port and reset the resolution to 1920x1080. The image is adequate.
Attachments
20181212_164312.jpg
20181212_164312.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 6261 times
20181212_161030.jpg
20181212_161030.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 6261 times
JVR

Post by JVR »

I tweaked the monitor a little and tried to get a better angle. The view is a lot better than the picture shows. It will be easier when the mount I ordered for it arrives. There is a tech assigned to my issue now and once he gets the info from me he needs we can start addressing the DVI issue. Can't understand why it shouldn't work.
Attachments
20181212_202221.jpg
20181212_202221.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 6249 times
JVR

Post by JVR »

For completeness sake the issue was never resolved. Dealing with support via email was painstakingly slow, one communication a day. Ultimately they suggested I download the latest firmware which I did but was able to verify that there is/was no update, and that my system already had the only version made and available. Also, the device was discontinued which surprised me and I wondered why they advertised and sold me a discontinued product direct through their site (not that it was a big deal if it works).
One method though in the process they suggested was accessing my NVR through the web interface to upgrade the firmware which got stuck in a loop trying to install the plugins (Windows 10). After that they recommended calling support by phone during business hours but since I already had three cameras operational, it was recording and the VGA interface was sufficient I opted to not bother since the DVI interface was moot at this point.
Thanks for following along.
20181215_162915.jpg
20181215_162915.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 6225 times
PS I should add that I ordered an different camera for the 4th. This one is a dome, better suited for where I intend to install it
seraniz

Post by seraniz »

JVR wrote:For completeness sake the issue was never resolved. Dealing with support via email was painstakingly slow, one communication a day. Ultimately they suggested I download the latest firmware which I did but was able to verify that there is/was no update, and that my system already had the only version made and available. Also, the device was discontinued which surprised me and I wondered why they advertised and sold me a discontinued product direct through their site (not that it was a big deal if it works).
One method though in the process they suggested was accessing my NVR through the web interface to upgrade the firmware which got stuck in a loop trying to install the plugins (Windows 10). After that they recommended calling support by phone during business hours but since I already had three cameras operational, it was recording and the VGA interface was sufficient I opted to not bother since the DVI interface was moot at this point.
Thanks for following along.
HostGator DreamHost Bluehost
20181215_162915.jpg

PS I should add that I ordered an different camera for the 4th. This one is a dome, better suited for where I intend to install it
Good detailed post. I believe your DVR setup manual will say you need a computer monitor or TV with either an HDMI or VGA input, and you said HDMI works. So you should probably get a HDMI monitor or TV.
Last edited by seraniz on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoei600

Post by shoei600 »

The video traffic on DVI and HDMI is the same, there should be no issues. You will likely find that the monitor itself is using the wrong colour space. It should have a setting in the DVI port setup to select between YUV mode (or component, or Video) and RGB mode (or PC). Try them both, one will work.

You may even have the same options on the HDMI output setup of the NVR although this is less likely.
JVR

Post by JVR »

shoei600 wrote:The video traffic on DVI and HDMI is the same, there should be no issues. You will likely find that the monitor itself is using the wrong colour space. It should have a setting in the DVI port setup to select between YUV mode (or component, or Video) and RGB mode (or PC). Try them both, one will work.

You may even have the same options on the HDMI output setup of the NVR although this is less likely.
The issue as I previously stated is now moot but for clarity the problem lies with the NVR output, whatever it is. The monitors work issue free using HDMI to DVI adapters on other devices but consistently failed on the Amcrest. Thank you though for the continued interest.
Further, its less of an issue now since I rarely view the cameras and/or recordings at the NVR on that monitor. When necessary I view them on my computer via the network or my cell phone. The monitor really only proved useful during installation.