GMail setup - test email fails

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
RegisterToSearch

GMail setup - test email fails

Post by RegisterToSearch »

I'm using a GMail account to send emails out of my home automation system and it works fine.

When I try to set up my Amcrest NVR up with exactly the same settings, I get a "Test email failed" error when I press the "Email Test".

I don't see any way to look at logs to see what error is occurring.

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587

Encrypt Type: TLS

Both my NVR and home automation system are on the same subnet and thus use the same exit path through the firewall so that's not the issue. I'm an IT consultant and one thing I get paid to do is to set up pfSense firewalls so I'm fairly certain the firewall is not causing problems.

per this:
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... lerts-NVR-

I have 2-Step Verification turned off on Google and I have "Less secure app access" turned on.

I'm kind of stuck here without being able to look at the SMTP logs to see what error is happening.

Thanks,
Sam
RegisterToSearch

Re: GMail setup - test email fails

Post by RegisterToSearch »

A couple of other things that would be helpful to try to diagnose issues like this:
* DNS resolution tester
* Ping utility
shaywood

Post by shaywood »

Folks on other forums are reporting that Google made changes to their email system which is conflicting with the Amcrest and other camera email settings. I have 2 cameras and an NVR that can't send Gmail SMTP emails since June 6th. Hopefully there is a fix?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly isn't something that Amcrest or other can fix it is a Conflict with Gmail. I used it as well. Looking over Gmail today there is some major things they changed. Even though it says I can still send. I even changed my google password and then made the changes in my CMS, IPM, 960H, CVI dvrs and all fail to send emails. Even tried changing to TSL in the units that will work with it and still fails.... It is almost like they are trying to make use send only to Gmail accounts. I have upgrade Good account so I don't understand why. My account I changed from 15gb storage to a 1TB storage account and still having issues. Like I said even changed my Passwords on all devices after updating password on google still no go... Whats next...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
sD7a5

Post by sD7a5 »

Google is blocking. I setup and Outlook.com profile, and they are doing the same after only a day or two.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

Google have had one of their periodic "let's change everything at random for no reason" brain seizures, which has broken Gmail for things like this. There's a long, long thread over in the cameras forum that goes into this in some detail. Quick solution, switch to something like Outlook. Long-term solution, Amcrest are working on firmware updates, but this may only be for cameras. In any case since Google can change things at random again at any point, a more reliable long-term solution is to migrate off Gmail onto a less unstable mail host.
plusfour

Post by plusfour »

sD7a5 wrote:Google is blocking. I setup and Outlook.com profile, and they are doing the same after only a day or two.
Hmm, if it takes a day or two that may mean my use of Outlook will run into problems as well. So far after nearly 24 hours it's still working. If anyone can recommend a mail provider that works, and that doesn't change their setup at random like Google do, it'd be good to know. I've already tried GMX but can't send through them, unfortunately since the Amcrest UI displays no info apart from "failed" I can't tell why. There's always Yandex, but I'm not sure I want to send my security alerts via Russia...
reekjohns

Post by reekjohns »

Try Google Less secure apps configuration

Log in to your Gmail account through a web browser and enable access through less secure apps . Less secure apps can make your account more vulnerable, Google will automatically turn this setting off if it's not being used. However, bypass this security setting with a configuration tweak within your Google Email Account .

How "more secure apps" help to protect your account?

Which level of access you're giving the client before you connect your Account.
Client access only a relevant part of your Account, like your email or calendar.
Connect your Google Account to the client without exposing your password.
Disconnect your Google Account from the client at any time.
tvlarry

Post by tvlarry »

There is NO FIX for the Gmail Server issue. I have spent countless hours researching this. Issue is Amcrest needs to comply with Gmails new standards of Certificates. If you call technical on this they direct you to try Yahoo, which also does not work with Amcrest anymore. Let me tell you all that this company has many issues with compatibility. There are other manufactures out there that have no problems with email servers, I know this because I am using 2 others as we speak. Also their Desktop Pro application has failed to work with any Mac device now, so you cant even access your cameras using a DDNS,ext ip, or P2P on a Mac now. Very disappointing.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly I don't understand why everyone takes stabs at Amcrest on this... @tvlarry I can assure you that it isn't only Amcrest. I have a few systems sadly some bought before I even knew Amcrest... Here is what I know...

My Brand N TVI unit is a Hikvision OEM system. Incase you don't know what that means. It is a System that another American Company puts there name on, add Firmware to reflect their name and in most times even with all that it has and it does have a lot is also a Strip model of one that Hik would sale for more then what I paid for it wthl all the bells... It don't work anymore with Gmail... Guess what though I have a older also 16ch CVBS system from Brand N Gmail does work. Wait how is that? Hummm I don't know older Tech had different server different hardware and I guess when code was wrote it worked fine with it...

Amcrest systems... Guess what I have a Amcrest DVR that still works with Gmail it is a older 960h DVR where my IP cameras and my CVI units don't work with Gmail....

So then there is this.. When the Item was sold by Amcrest or Brand N it did work with Gmail. Sadly my TVI (Brand N) and my Amcrest CVI is no longer getting FW updates so They will never work again with gmail but how in my RIGHT MIND can I be mad at a Company because a different company changed the way the code was when these DVRs was built.

Then there is this.. On the units that still get new FW *Firmware* they still get updates and the ones that have been updated is said to work with gmail now... Amcrest is doing their part. It might not be to everyone's happiness of speed, however they have loads of hardware and a few people making the updates.

My solution was seeing I have some older no longer going to get FW updates by any of the companies I have them from I went and bought my OWN SMTP server and pay to have it hosted. I will admit after all the TROUBLE of doing so how many of my camera or DVR's today get email alerts for motion? LOL NONE. I turned them all off.. It is the time of year that it rains or snows and getting 2000 emails a day that shows NOTHING worth seeing. No only thing I have them setup for is 4 cameras that are indoors without windows and don't have to worry about false alerts. Also a couple of other options that I have send to email as well. BUT I kid you not getting alerts at night because it started to rain or started to snow or the wind is blowing and the leaves are falling... No it is off for the most part...

With any company there is no way they can make something that is a 3rd party program force them to work the way it did when it was released. That is why they are making ones still getting updates to work with gmail...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe