DVR won't boot with SATA cable plugged in. AMDV10818

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: DVR won't boot with SATA cable plugged in. AMDV10818

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well normally a power supply for the camera is the same for the DVR a 2 amp power supply for 4 cameras. However it could be one with 8 cameras then it could be 2 power supplies and or 1 5amp power supply.

So if you were to look at the PSU for the DVR and one for the cameras, If they are same rated 2amp or same what ever amps and your DVR won't work with new HDD installed with cameras PSU in the DVR then more then likely the DVR is dead and will need repair or replace..

Again keep in mind that if the PSU for the cameras is 1.5 and dVR is 2amp then it wouldn't work.. Main issue is with DVR when HDD is connected there has to be a power supply that has the ability to support in rush current higher then the normal running current. Sometimes I have seen devices that were connected to a 2amp power supply with an inrush of 2.23amps and because the power supply had the ability to keep up seeing they under rated it that isn't always the case for these wall warts..

For kicks I just tested a different brand 8ch DVR that I happen to have on my Desk using a 5amp power supply that I use for testing I plugged in my Testing meter that displays V and A. Power supply was at 12.4v when I plugged into the meter, Then when I plugged into the DVR the In-Rush was 2.25amps for about 4 to 5 seconds. Then went steady to 770ma so less then an amp for just normal no accessing the DVR and then when there was motion on one of the channels it jumped to 782ma. At this hour where the cameras are pointing there is not much going on for more motion but my guess more cameras detecting motion it would go up little.. However as I was saying In-rush has to support a short burst of high current once the HDD has spun up then it will fall back well under the DVRs rated supply requirements to keep the PSU cool and lasting a while if it was running max all the time the PSU would not last long..

I am not saying you need to buy another power supply. I know not everyone has their cameras on a PDU and that means all the cameras power supplies are not being used so I have 40 2amp power supplies laying around that I don't use. I am saying that if they said it was your HDD and you installing a HDD and the unit will still not power up with new HDD installed then the issue is more then likely a bad PSU. However it could be a dead short on the HDD power rail but won't know unless there is a new or different high enough rated PSU to test.. Any power supply that is rated 12v and same or higher rated amps then the DVR requires would be good enough to test. Even an older Router, or other device might have 12v power. Even if you were to take your DVR out to your Vehicle and test with 12v device with same plug type would tell you if your system is working so you don't buy a power supply if your DVR is really dead...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

1 last thing to keep in mind, When you are looking at the PSU of any other device keep in mind that normally the Center is + but there are some people out there that like to be different and might have the power on the outside. So when looking at the AMPS also make sure that it says the Center is + and the outside is -..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

20240418_055238.jpg
20240418_055238.jpg (930.16 KiB) Viewed 105 times
Be Safe.
FourYou

Post by FourYou »

i just fixed the camera that wasn't showing. turnouts that there's a loose cable connector that got halfway unplugged and wasn't plugged in fully near my 60 ft the extension cable cord and not near the power supply cables going into the dvr and camera.
FourYou

Post by FourYou »

i would think that if it was my dvr that is dead or not working properly then it wouldnt be able to boot up even when i took the hdd out... hmmmmm could there be a chance it be my sata or power cable that is bad when i am plugging it into the hdd what are the chances of this??? or bad sata or power port on the motherboard side that my sata and power cable used to power the hdd???
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Anything could be wrong... However it is easier to find a 12v power supply with the rated output for the DVR.. Also if you are using a single power supply for your cameras and your DVR that shouldn't happen. While I do have a setup with 2 analog cameras and the rest of the connected Cameras are IP cameras. I did use a 5amp power supply to power both the cameras and DVR seeing the cameras were on a short 60ft and 30ft so the voltage drop wouldn't matter much and that system has been working for 4 years now.

Give little insight on the Current draw of the DVR I tested last night with HDD, I removed the hdd and just tested. The current draw on start up when the HDD would normally be doing its spin up was only 200ma and once the software started to load and come online it went to 398ma. That means once the hdd does its boot spin up the HDD draws for normal full time write, around 370ma. Remember this is without extra load like doing a playback at the same time and other factors..

About the cables being the issue. I don't want to say that it can't be bad. But the likelihood of them being bad over the power supply is about 10%. Now this would go up of the DVR has had someone man handling the cables for HDD many times over the years then that number would easily go up. But for a DVR that has had a HDD installed from day 1 then 3 or 5 years later have issues with the cables would be very slim.. I have a DVR from 2010 that bought new in 2012 or 13 that has 2 hdd bays and has had a total of 4 HDD since new and the cables in that DVR are still working and doing its duty..
Be Safe.
FourYou

Post by FourYou »

so my next test should try to test it out with new power supply that plugs into the dvr separately???? the cameras power supply n dvr power supply are separate. the power supply for my camera has 4 different outlet where it allows me to connect the 4 cameras. it looks like this one. https://amcrest.com/amcrest-4ch-4k-12v- ... upply.html
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok. Yes testing a new power supply would be best bet. Some systems for cameras come with a power adaptor with 4 or 8 pigtail.. However if your camera power supply is rated for same or more then the DVR I would unplug the cameras and use that one to test the DVR with HDD installed to make sure it is PSU related.. Most of my DVRs are 12v 2mp unless it is higher output units with 2 HDD then might come with a 12v 4amp, I have one that came with 12. 3.33amp as well. Just double check the bottom of the DVR. Should say 12v and something amps my guess is 2amps. Any 12v power supply that is 2amps or more could test the HDD being connected.. Just keep inmind that the cameras should be unplugged if it is 2amps so the voltage don't drop to much and cause damage to DVR or cameras..
Be Safe.
FourYou

Post by FourYou »

so i have this dvr https://amcrest.com/catalog/product/gal ... 49/id/389/

model is AMDV4M4.

this power supply will work for my dvd...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... upply.html
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

From what the image on specs page yes.
Screenshot_20240419_100757_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240419_100757_Chrome.jpg (989.95 KiB) Viewed 87 times
Be Safe.