DVR to camera using Cat5E

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

DVR to camera using Cat5E

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I had someone ask about using Cat5e that they had running to a location used for an older POE camera. Asked why he was looking to go from IP to HD Analog and he said it seems easier to keep a stable DVR then a NVR and IP cameras. Seeing he has an Older DVR 8 to 10 years old that has same HDD and cameras connected and has never had the issues that he has had with his NVR and IP cameras. I did agree with him over the issues. So I explained how to setup and even run PTZ that is older using RS-485 seeing he has one that he will install. Plus I thought I would send him one of my older 2014 PTZ's that I told him he might want to run another Cat5 cable if he wants to use all the bells and whistles built into the camera.

Anyway I don't Endorse the idea of leaving your cables exposed like I did with 2 cameras at this location. Thought i would get that out of the way lol. However both cameras cables are in area that never sees water even when there was a storm the cables were never wet. So yeah the IP camera I put up after the HD Analog and so I didn't put the Water Tight Boot on that either. But the ability to show what I do for my Analog cameras when it comes to connection with Cat5e cable the picture tells the tale.. That camera has been here for long time using 3 pairs from the Cat5e cable to power and to get video from that location. There has been 0 problems from the power or feed of the camera. Because the camera is UTC I didn't need to use the Extra pair for connection to RS-485 That was used on the older camera at that location years earlier. However in the case you need a RS-485 connection you can do that with the extra pair. Also clean the install buy using a Water tight back box to hide your cables in. Again mine is well covered and never an issue.
Screenshot (242).png
Screenshot (242).png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2482 times
Be Safe.