Disable startup beep on NV4108E?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Securicheese

Disable startup beep on NV4108E?

Post by Securicheese »

I'm new to Amcrest but not a total novice with security systems or technology. When the NV4108E-A2 NVR powers on, right before the GUI becomes interactable, there's a loud beep that comes from an onboard speaker. I know you can disable the beep for events like no HDD (which I've done) but this starting noise drives me nuts. On past devices, a drop of hot glue on top of the speaker has muted it into oblivion, but this is still quite loud. I can't find anything in the settings to turn off the starting beep. Can anyone help?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Disable startup beep on NV4108E?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

There is no way to turn off the Beep short of removing the Piezo. However if you are Electronics enabled you could add in a Resistor to reduce the volume of the sound. In a few of my systems that I have in my Security Closet I have removed them. This does require the removal of the PCB from the case to gain access to the soldered pins.

Then you have to ask. Does this NVR still have a Warranty? If it does then any Mods shouldn't be done. Also keep in mind that without adding in a circuit adding in a resistor would also reduce the volume for all other alarms you want the NVR to emit. With that said if you don't care about Warranty or all alarms then remove PCB, cut one of the traces on the bottom leading to piezo, remove the some of the solder mask on that trace at both ends, then solder on a 0603 sized resistor to fit your needs.. You will want to test a few values to get to the desired volume of sound it emits.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Here is a picture of a 4108-A2 this is a non poe so pcb layout will be little different. However this is the Peizo bottom side and line is where I would install a resistor.
20240226_212642.jpg
20240226_212642.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 232 times
Be Safe.
Securicheese

Post by Securicheese »

Thanks Revo2Maxx!

I just got the NVR today, so I'm full on warranty but the sound will drive me nuts. I guess I could just desolder those leads and remove the piezo completely... Seems a bit excessive but so be it. I do have some resistors laying around so I suppose I can experiment with those before I go nuclear.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah easiest way is just to remove it.. It will have non-Leaded solder so adding a little lead solder would be best to remove without damage to the Piezo. OR even some Chipquik if you had some laying around..

For me to be honest, I like the speaker in place when I have the device in an area that isn't hidden. I say this, In the event that the system starts to have issues with constant restarts then you are alerted that something isn't right.. Also to be honest, Again in a system that isn't hidden, I like to be able to setup a Tripwire or An Intrusion of an area where someone has been going *Where or when they shouldn't* and I want to be alerted by adding the Alarm sound option to the event. This way I know even before I get an alert on my Cell phone Push. All my systems restart daily so I know what you mean by the Beep, It is something that I like to use also for knowing that my systems are coming back online..

Also to be honest, Keeping it, doing a Reboot when you normally are not in the area. Like lets say you are away from 7-3am then I would setup to reboot in that time so the beep isn't something that happens when you are around. In the end, DVR/NVR normally isn't something that is placed in an area with easy access, In a Closet or some hidden room is good and that can also help suppress the noise..
Be Safe.