DDNS not connecting from DVR

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
epfunke

DDNS not connecting from DVR

Post by epfunke »

Recently my remote viewing stopped working on a my NV2116-HS nvr version 3.215.00AC000.0

If access the system at the NVR and look at the network DDNS tab, it indicates "Not Connected" if i try to reconnect i get the message "Server/Network Error, Please try again later or contact support"

On the network tab is shows network status OK, If i run a ping test from the NVR it pings external sites fine, so connection seems fine.

If i do a web dns lookup of my xxxx.amcrestddns.com address it reports an old public IP for me (only last octet is is different)

If i manually point my phone(connected via cell) to my correct public IP, the ap on the phone works perfect.

So it appears that the NVR cannot connect / register with the DDNS server to update my public IP..

Anyone ever see this or know of a fix? any and all help will be appreciated
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: DDNS not connecting from DVR

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

So I am not sure why or what your connection issue is. Can I ask why you don't want to use the built in P2P that works perfectly and there is no mess setup to have to work with and remember numbers or all the things you have to when you are trying to connect via DDNS?

When it comes to phones and tabs P2P is fast and secure, There is only 1 thing that the Servers do and that is your NVR will send out a I am ready ping to a Server and the Server will say ok I will keep an eye out for your Client once you bring up your phone a day a week or month later to connect your phone app will Ping the server and the server will in a since say yes I am holding a marker for you here it is, When you make a connection to your NVR over this connection there is nothing between it is just your phone and your NVR and doing this way punches a hole in your network so it can talk between your phone and NVR without the need of setting up a DDNS and leaving your network open for someone on the outside that might be trying to look in..

It is fast and I am going to guess it is already active.. But here is how you would do it.. When in your Amcrest View App, you will need to Delete the connection you have there now on your phone, then click the + to add one, Then choose P2P and it will ask you to scan your code on the top of your NVR (QR) once you scan that it will have you make a name, enter the admin and pass and then press live view and it is done... THen when you want to setup PUSH to your phone for Motion or other type of alerts it is easy and fast.. I mean when I setup on my ch2 that looks at the road in front of my house I have setup for 3 images and snapshots, before the car on the road is out of view I have an alert on my phone and it is that fast...

In your NVR to make sure it is connected go into the main menu, setup, network, TCP/IP and at the top of that page is P2P click that tab then it should have a CHeck mark and it should say Online in the Status.. I didn't look at what Version of FW your using if your using the new 2020+ version 4.xx then Main menu, Network, and at the bottom on the left it will say P2P in there top will say Enable with a toggle, If not on turn it on, then there will be a Cellphone Client QR code in there and your Device SN in there in QR form you can setup from that page for your phone.. It is fast easy and don't have to worry about how many times your IP changes
Be Safe.
epfunke

Post by epfunke »

Hi James

I tried the p2p and yes that works fine. It has been set up the old way (ddns and open ports) for years so never really looked at p2p
hopefully I can get the ddns to work that way as an added benefit, i could look up that ddns address from outside to get my public ip to allow me to log into my router remotely.
jwrankin71

Post by jwrankin71 »

im having the same issue sort of. mine shows connected but will not connect through the app on my phone anymore.