configuring cameras with NVR4108E

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
jblgoes123

Re: configuring cameras with NVR4108E

Post by jblgoes123 »

I picked up a 10 port PoE switch.
Plugged my cameras into the 8 PoE ports on this switch.
Plugged 1 uplink port into my NVR.
Plugged 1 uplink port into the rest of my network.

I briefly manually changed the IP of my laptop so I could pull up the web interfaces on all my cameras.
Using that, I changed my cameras' IP addresses to 192.168.2.121 to 192.168.2.128 so that they are on my regular network.

I did a factory reset on the NVR and added all my cameras again no problem. The NVR definitely seems happier than with the prior configuration. I no longer am getting the "Config File Error" messages I was getting. It also is correctly listing all the cameras in the web interface instead of showing a blank table as I showed in the screenshot above.

I am going to let it run for a few days. I will report back if I get any more "login return time is up" or "service returned message error" error messages and then we'll see what is going on.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So are you talking about running your system on your normal Network side of the NVR and not off the POE ports?

Or are you using your Switch to power the cameras and then passing them through to the POE ports on the back?

So again you mention your Regular network range..

This is form my 4216E-AI NVR. This is only NVR that I own that will pull the POE camera IP though the normal IP range of the Network.. However maybe the newer ones do as well. I don't do it much or often but helps while I have my POE cameras on my Normal Network for making changes that I don't want to make using the NVR's Virtual Host. So I just remove from POE port, connect to my POE Switch. Make changes and still have access to the camera on my NVR Grid.

So if you look at 15, 16 you can see the Trash Can is grey out because they are connected on port 15 and 16. with 10.1.23.xxx Then if you look at my Ch12 it also has the same Range 10.1.23.xxx however that has a normal trash can because it really is coming over my normal port and not the POE of the NVR..

Is that how you are trying to access your cameras?

Do you have 9 ports on the back of your NVR? with 8 Ports POE and 1 for normal network range for access form your Network and P2P for App use while away form home?

Were you trying to connect your cameras OVER your POE ports or using POE IP trying to access over your normal Network Port?
Screenshot (3923).png
Screenshot (3923).png (101.46 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
jblgoes123

Post by jblgoes123 »

I originally had been using the 8 PoE ports on my NVR to connect my cameras. It worked, but it gave me errors and randomly disconnected some of the cameras every day. In trying to troubleshoot, I realized I couldn't get any network traffic from my laptop, through the NVR, to any of the cameras.

So I moved the cameras to an external PoE switch. The PoE switch has 10 ports. 8 go to the cameras. One goes to the NVR's uplink port, and the last one goes to my router. The only port on the NVR that's used now is the uplink port going to this switch. Everything has been configured in a flat topology. It now works seamlessly.

Not sure why this was the case since what I was trying to do should have worked. But where this is working, I'm probably going to leave it alone and not do any more troubleshoot on it.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Understand about the things are working and wanted to keep them that way.. What is kind of important is that if your using an A2 and or a NEWER 4108E-HS model, However remember in your first post you had said that yours is an A2 and if that is the case I would want something that is new and something you paid extra for to work as expected. I mean if you wanted to have to work with a Switch paying 50 or so less for the normal 4108-A2 would have been the way to go. However in truth buying the POE model and not having the POE ports working is a LOSS of money..

However I would at least make a Ticket and let Amcrest know there was some issues and what cameras you have the issues with. It might be a Device issue that can get fixed with an Update to the Firmware.

I have not looked lately but I think the 4108E-A2 was priced at 199. There the normal 4108-A2 was around 129ish + or - can't remember.

Now as you know as I have said before, There could be a Virtual Host button on your network page. I posted a 4108-HS, These 2 picture today is one of my 4116E-HS and you can see it does have the Virtual host Button. (didn't one or 2 FW ago and now does on the one installed right now) and the 4216E-AI that is 16 port POE that I have mentioned can pull both front and back side IP's however I will admit that I can't access the back side IP using just the 10.1.23.xxx IP I have to go to the WebUI of the NVR, click on the e in the camera connected area picture in my post before this. And doing so will bring up first in the IP of the NVR with 10080 as port number and I can connect and make changes...

Anyway with the A2 being a new hardware for Amcrest it shouldn't have issues using POE ports with Amcrest/Dahua (Type) cameras. So making Amcrest aware with Ticket might be important to help keep the product in good working order..

4116E-HS with Virtual Host on Network page.
Screenshot (3930).png
Screenshot (3930).png (68.8 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
4216E-AI without Virtual host however works by design as if I had enabled it. Might have Enable tab in future FW?
Screenshot (3931).png
Screenshot (3931).png (69.65 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Be Safe
jblgoes123

Post by jblgoes123 »

You said something interesting in that reply. "Anyway with the A2 being a new hardware for Amcrest it shouldn't have issues using POE ports with Amcrest/Dahua (Type) cameras"

My cameras are not Amcrest or Dahua. I have two separate brands of camera (they were bought in packs of 4) that I configured as just ONVIF devices. This isn't part of the problem, is it?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes that is my guess. Non Amcrest/Dahua cameras are best connected outside POE ports like you have them connected now. Best to use Amcrest/Dahua on ports for best results
Be Safe