Configuring camera and NVR for UDP

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
lordnelson1805

Configuring camera and NVR for UDP

Post by lordnelson1805 »

I have a NV5216 and it appears that there is no way to select whether the video stream between the camera and the NVR is UDP or TCP. From the camera config screen it appears as though only the TCP port is configurable and there's no way to specify UDP or TCP. Does the camera first attempt UDP and if that fails switch to TCP? THe camera in question is a IP5M-B1186EW-28MM though I have also tried it with a IP8M-VB2796E. Cameras and NVR are both on the same switch and VLAN.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Configuring camera and NVR for UDP

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Well I am not sure 100% how to setup your connection between 2 devices so it is working on UDP only if that is what your trying to do?

However here is something to try for connecting to your NVR over a UDP connection.

On your NVR when first setup it came with TCP and UDP ports setup by default as 37777 and 37778 respectfully. If you try to load your NVR in UDP mode from the log in screen changing it to UDP it will let you however it won't play any of the streams when you try to live view. However if you happen to enter your ip in my case http ://10.0.0.225:37778 and change to udp and log in, then click on Live, Then click on the channel I want, it will pop up and if the first time in my Firewall settings ask if it is ok to use so on .. Only happens once unless you fail to say yes. However once you say yes it will then pop up your feeds.

I am just trying to understand why you would want to?

The NVR and Camera are or should be working in both TCP/UDP by demand. However UDP can be faster there are a lot of issue when it comes to CCTV. With TCP the data flow is more consistent and can over run a scene where with the UDP it can be faster there is nothing to stop the Burst of packets and feed a scene when something fails to load as it can and most often will do to many factors in the Network Traffic and doing so would cause a Smear effect rather then getting the full data over TCP that might have same lag but because of the re-transmission of data the scene will be complete and full. OR Fail.. On the UDP it is just blast and the open receive gets what it gets and the picture scene can and will smear the image and will cause ghosting.

Outside of that, Not sure what else your looking for. The connection that is setup from Default besides record type and password is normally the best and fastest way to setup a IP CCTV Network recorder. Making changes outside of the normal can and will cause issues with your feeds in epic proportions.
Be Safe.
lordnelson1805

Re: Configuring camera and NVR for UDP

Post by lordnelson1805 »

Thanks for the detailed response.

I was really just looking for clarification on how the system decides (or how to tell it) whether to use UDP or TCP to send video from the camera to the NVR. I'm familiar with the differences, advantages, drawbacks, etc., between UDP and TCP. I really just wanted to better understand how the connections are negotiated or configured and try both to see what happens.

But your advice to leave things at the default is solid!