Can't view IP2M-841 outside local network

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
eclipse

Can't view IP2M-841 outside local network

Post by eclipse »

I have two IP2M-841 cameras. The second one (just purchased) can be viewed only on the local network. When I try to access it on WAN, it will not connect. The two cams are configured exactly the same with the exception of their local IP addresses and HTTP port numbers (the other port numbers are unchanged from the defaults, but I don't think that this is the issue because even if I unplug the first one, eliminating a potential conflict, the second one still won't work). Both are set to static IP addresses (for both wired and wireless) and are properly port forwarded in my router. Canyouseeme cannot see the http port for this camera. I don't think it's a firewall issue because I've never had to modify firewall settings to access any of my other IP cameras. Plus, I can see the first one fine. The new one can be seen on WAN through the Amcrest View Pro app, but as I understand it, that uses P2P rather than HTTP to connect. What could be the issue?
mupimohan

Re: Can't view IP2M-841 outside local network

Post by mupimohan »

I set up the Amcrest DDNS from the web interface and I was able to access the URL from outside. But I did a reset from the cloud and lost that URL. I have to try to set this up and see if it is getting lost due to my reset or the auto reset that happens to the camera frequently. IMO Amcrest should stop doing any automatic resets if that also resets the ddns URL. An auto reset is fine if it does not change any settings. Otherwise it beats the purpose of using a security camera especially when I am away from home as things gets messed up after a reset and it needs manual intervention.
Last edited by mupimohan on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eclipse

Post by eclipse »

As it turns out, it was a problem with the port number. Strange that I could access the camera outside the local network as long as the camera was connected to my network the a wire rather than wirelessly inasmuch as the HTTP port numbers are (and must be) the same for wired and wireless (although there are different local IP addresses for the wired and wireless connections).
mupimohan

Post by mupimohan »

So if the port numbers are same for both wired and wireless, I can only access the camera when it is wired? What do I have to do if I want to access the camera from outside if I have it in WiFi? Not possible?

I was able to use the Amcrest ddns with my camera in WiFi. But when the camera resets automatically, the Amcrest DDNS URL does not work.
cmeadows90

Post by cmeadows90 »

Internal port numbers can be the same (37777) but you'd need unique ports on the outside for forwarding.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hi eclipse,

If camera P2P is offline it wont connect from WAN, You better use IP domain/DDNS method to access the camera. Make both camera IP address static and change the HTTP and TCP port numbers dont use same port number for both cams.

check this video for port forwarding setup : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbXHQqGgZKs

When your are adding the camera to view pro app use public IP address and TCP port number of that particular camera
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

eclipse

Post by eclipse »

If camera P2P is offline it wont connect from WAN, You better use IP domain/DDNS method to access the camera. Make both camera IP address static and change the HTTP and TCP port numbers dont use same port number for both cams.
Melvin: P2P was online and I did all of the things you mentioned (although my DDNS is at the router level). I have five other cameras (not all Amcrest) so I am familiar with setting up a static address and port forwarding. The problem was that the cam would not connect even when properly configured. I even tried unplugging one of my other cams and using its known good HTTP port as a test for the Amcrest cam, but it wouldn't work outside my LAN. I called tech support and they changed the port number to 8090 and it worked. They didn't change anything else. It is strange; I've never had this happen before. Also, both my Amcrest cams share the same (default) TCP port (but not HTTP port), and I can still access them.
snoggle298

Post by snoggle298 »

I have 4 ip2m-841's and can access from the local and from other cities. I have never had to port forward anything for the cameras to work proper. Also the router does not have pnp enabled. I see all the time people say you have to port forward to access from outside the home, but mine work fine and never told the router nothing.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@snoggle298 Hello and well there are some people that don't like turning on or using the P2P and only way for the camera to have access outside of your local network without opening ports and having a bunch of fancy things setup is over P2P and one thing that Irks me is that people don't understand they have the feature and it works and people don't have to worry about it because P2P is a Safe Option...

Then there are the People that again don't understand and use something on the Network that finds they have Ports that are open and transmitting info to outside ports more then 1 and that is because for the P2P to work your Camera has to Call home if you will.. This is just a bit of code that says Hello I am here and I am waiting for someone to access me that has the rights to... Then when you are out and away from your Network you then access your app that sends a Ping to the Servers asking for a connection the Server checks and says yes here is your Connection your looking for you log in with your info on your camera only there is no log in to anything other then your own camera...

HOwever people are or can freak out about OMG someone can see my camera blah blah and so on... Issue is they would need to know your SN and your Password to get access to your camera... OUT side of your network if you were at a Internet cafe and made access to your camera over their network then yes they can get your SN but when you put in your password isn't in Plain text over the P2P so they would need to either have a Camera on you and know when your typing in your password or you would have to tell them your password before they would be able to access your camera... So for me I use P2P and Happy that it is there and open...

This Brings me to another thing I like about having P2P setup... I want you to be able to access my camera. I make a new user give a password to you and the SN to my Camera and you are not able to access my Camera Mind you this is Temp and Limited to options that I see fit to give.. Once you are done looking at my camera I delete the User and you no longer can access my camera... There is so many Benefits just people like to do things the hard way lol
Be Safe.
TheShell

Post by TheShell »

okay so how do we set this up p2p