Can't view 1 of 6 cameras on HDMI screen

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
thumbsuppp

Can't view 1 of 6 cameras on HDMI screen

Post by thumbsuppp »

Hi all, got a weird problem with viewing a stream on a HDMI screen directly connected to a NV5208 NVR. I have a total of 6 cams connected:

- 2x 1.3 MP ONVIF (Old Dahua IPCs)
- 3x Amcrest 5MP (IP5M-T1179E)
- 1x Amcrest 8MP (IP8M-T2599E)

No matter what, when the 8MP cam is streaming in 4K resolution, this stream won't show up on screen. I can see it on web interface and mobile. If I reduce the resolution from 4K (3840x2160) down to 3072x2048, it shows up on screen immediately.

So I was thinking that I hit a limitation of what the NVR can handle for on-screen display. But I happen to have a different model Amcrest 4K cam (IP8M-T2499E, non-starlite) and its stream at 4K shows up on screen just fine. Whaaa?

Does anyone have an idea what could be going on here? I'd rather use the 2599 because of its better low-light performance, but not if it screws up the display.

Thank you in advance.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Can't view 1 of 6 cameras on HDMI screen

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Sadly it is hard to say why!? I am going to guess that by default the Sub streams on the camera that is not working isnt set or has a setting that the NVR don't like..

Have your reset the Camera back to factory? Either a Hard Reset or a Soft reset?

If you log into the Camera WebUI what does the Encoding page have setup for SubStreams?

Also if you setup you camera and pick a view of say 1 large Screen and 7 small in the 8 Camera view area... If you double click that camera does it load in the Large screen? or is it still black in there as well.. Oddl I have my Amcrest 3mp POE camera that normally works on live view however some reason in the 8 view if I try to load that in the large window it fails to load.. I am sure it has something to do with the Substream.. Now to make things worse.. I just checked and for some odd reason my Sebstream for Ch8 is hard set but when I change the Sub Ch on Ch7 to a CIF format my ch8 camera now works in the large screen in 8ch mode... So I would double check your Sub Steam for the camera your having issues with and look at some of the other cameras and make sure they are not with a Strange setting as weird as it was after making a change from ch7 Sub Ch my Ch 8 camera works it makes not since to me...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Opps ok my issue was the camera in question.. When it loads in 8ch mode what I thought was Ch8 was 7 and that was why making the change in Encoding changed the ability to work.. Sadly I didn't look at the camera name only area and thought it was going from left to right like in 9ch mode however in 8ch mode the cameras are 8 on the bottom left 7 is second to the left and so that was why it wasn't ch8 I was having an issue it was ch7.. Again I would check your Encoding that was all it was for me on a few camera views on my systems...
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Just looking over the Manual for that NVR and while most of my other cameras are 640x480 in sub stream that was why my other camera that isn't an Amcrest Camera wouldn't play nice because it was at a larger Sub Steam 1 output.. Oddly it would at the setting for the 9ch view just not in the large main channel of the 8 ch view.. So I would look at your Sub Stream 1 and makes sure they are all set for 640x480 or pick one of the other cameras and see what they are set and working and if your other camera has that option I would use that..
Be Safe.
patric

Post by patric »

thumbsuppp wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:04 pm So I was thinking that I hit a limitation of what the NVR can handle for on-screen display. But I happen to have a different model Amcrest 4K cam (IP8M-T2499E, non-starlite) and its stream at 4K shows up on screen just fine.
I learned here that the 4000-series NVRs are underpowered for modern cameras, and that the 5000-series had a better processor, so that should do the trick. Would be disappointed to discover otherwise.

The workaround for that issue is to make sure you have enabled the substreams for all of your cameras. In my situation I had four 4K cameras but two show up on the HDMI output in VGA resolution. All four 4K cameras record 4K normally, though.
Another undocumented bonus. Hope that helps.
thumbsuppp

Post by thumbsuppp »

Thanks for your input guys... I spent some time investigating the substreams. They were all enabled, H.264 codec. I changed all resolutions to 640x480. No luck getting the 4K to appear on the HDMI display.
I learned here that the 4000-series NVRs are underpowered for modern cameras, and that the 5000-series had a better processor, so that should do the trick.
Makes sense to me, and that's kinda why I got the 5208... in the long haul a wimpy CPU is gonna hose you, sooner or later.

I'm going to try to reset the 4K cam and see what happens.
thumbsuppp

Post by thumbsuppp »

No luck with the factory reset either!