Can I run Linux on it ?

Have some questions or having issues with your DVR/NVR(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
amaramrahul

Can I run Linux on it ?

Post by amaramrahul »

Hi,
I am considering buying Amcrest NV4108-HS 4K 8CH NVR as I have an immediate requirement of NVR. However, it may so happen that in the future I would like to install some Linux on it and use it for other purposes. Got a few questions reg. this.

1. What is the processor and board that power the NVR?
2. Does the NVR already run Linux? Is it possible to login and install any other software on it.
3. Is it possible to install some other Linux OS on it?

Thanks,
Rahul.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Can I run Linux on it ?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the Forum

A NVR from anyone I know of is a stand alone device that comes pre-programmed with some type of Unix based software that is only designed to run the hard it was built in... There is no more then very little Ram and the System ROM is designed to hold the software to make it run.. That is why some don't even come with a HDD installed because the system board has the programming already installed..

It isn't a Computer that you can use to do anything out side what it was designed to do..
Be Safe.
amaramrahul

Post by amaramrahul »

Ok. I was hoping that if it uses some general SBC internally (like raspberry pi), I could at least install Linux at a later point of time if I don't intend to use NVR.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

For a Raspberry Pi based system, look at MotionEyeOS. It's also available as an integration for Home Assistant which can run on Raspberry's or other more powerful CPU's that can handle the camera streaming encoding faster.

Otherwise, look at using a NAS, such as Synology and its Surveillance Station package. It's a good way to build your own NVR which can do much more, but it's a significantly more expensive approach.
amaramrahul

Post by amaramrahul »

Thanks. Do you have any recommendation of SBC that could do H265 video encoding smoothly?
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Sorry, I have no experience with H265 encoding. I have used MotionEye on a RasPi 4 and it's a very powerful and easy to set up surveillance system for IP cameras. you can save recordings to a NAS or to local media - ideally a USB-attached SSD.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

I have a Camect (NVR) that provides very good AI motion/object detection with almost no false detections for all attached cameras.
I believe Camect uses Ubuntu Server on proper intel x86 hardware. Size is 5"x5"x2". I use cameras with h.265. I think another OS could be loaded later on the hardware if desired. The developer is very available to answer questions via Camect forum or email.
Camect information is available at http://camect.com For more details, follow all links. There are several faqs available.a